U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:02 AM

20,077 posts, read 11,137,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faranbrygo View Post
I am also of the opinion that the Christian religion has been co-opted into the bastardized form so many modern nationalists and the like cling to as a means of validation and recruitment. Since religion still has respect, they will use it for their own ends.
They are a cultural gang, currently fighting a war to retain their turf.

Jesus isn't their way of life, Jesus is just one of their gang signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 01:50 PM

27,953 posts, read 15,035,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I believe that is part of it. Some mistakenly see the setting apart as a statement of superiority.

"Chosenness" is often perceived in that way. I myself once saw it as akin to claiming to be the favorite child. Some years ago, on the old AOL message boards, I became involved in discussions with a group of Jewish women, Conservative and Orthodox. They explained to me that being "chosen" is not a claim of favoritism or superiority, but rather a responsibility to keep Torah and serve as an example.

This was an eye-opener to me, and changed my previous perception. I am quite sure that there are many who thought the way I once did and who assume that Jews simply think they are better than everyone else.

It is not a matter of Jewish people needing to change. It is a matter of understanding that the erroneous perception exists and perhaps, when appropriate, providing education to those open to learning.
This...I keep attempting to explain this to folks, but they want to insist that it has something to do with superiority...

Old 06-12-2019, 01:58 PM

3,316 posts, read 640,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
This...I keep attempting to explain this to folks, but they want to insist that it has something to do with superiority...
Yes, and what I've found is that anti-Semites jump on the phrase, and use the term "chosen people" with disdain and sarcasm. I've often heard it used when condemning Israelis, as in "well... those CHOSEN PEOPLE think they deserve better than everyone else."

Old 06-12-2019, 02:29 PM

559 posts, read 52,589 times
A great book I'd like to recommend is Why the Jews?: The Reason for Antisemitism, by Dennis Prager and Joseph Telushkin. Here is a brief excerpt from the chapter explaining our concept of having been chosen:

Quote:
Why does this belief arouse antisemitism? One reason is that antisemites have long portrayed the chosen people belief as a Jewish claim to innate superiority. Some have contended that the Jews’ belief in their chosenness lies at the heart of their alleged attempt to take over the world. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, perhaps the most widely distributed forgery in history and the best-known modern work of antisemitism, was based on this portrayal of chosenness...

Jewish chosenness has always meant that Jews have believed themselves to be chosen by God to spread ethical monotheism to the world and to live as a moral “light unto the nations” (Isaiah 49: 6). All other meanings imputed to Jewish chosenness are not Jewish. The Hebrew Bible, where the concept originates, neither states nor implies that chosenness means Jewish superiority or privilege. The Bible repeatedly declares that the Jews were not chosen because of any intrinsically positive qualities.

Every nation is equal before G-d—“Are you not as the children of Ethiopia to me, children of Israel?” states the prophet Amos (9: 7). G-d chose the Jews, “not because you are big; indeed you are of the smallest nations” (Deuteronomy 7: 7), but simply because they are descendants of the first ethical monotheist, Abraham (Genesis 18: 19). That is their single merit.
"Every nation is equal before G-d." I believe that most Jews know this, but I also think that some of us tend to forget this because we prefer to dwell on past wrongs. That doesn't help us as a people. As my mother of blessed memory used to say on the subject: "If you keep picking at that scab, it will never heal."

Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM

392 posts, read 122,250 times
Without necessarily disagreeing with many of the various above explanations of anti-Jewish orientations, I would like to get back to the specific issue of anti-Jewish attitudes among some "Christians." Anyone who knows anything about "Christians" knows that there are MANY diiferent "Christian" theologies. I don't know for sure in every case, or even in many cases, but I suspect that most "Christian" anti-Jewish attitudes stem quite logically from anti-Jewish theologies. I suspect that the same holds true for pro-Jewish attitudes and pro-Jewish theologies.

I believe that many Jews, and perhaps non-"Christians" in general, have no idea of the diversity of theology among the groups calling themselves "Christian."

Old 06-13-2019, 12:58 PM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Without necessarily disagreeing with many of the various above explanations of anti-Jewish orientations, I would like to get back to the specific issue of anti-Jewish attitudes among some "Christians." Anyone who knows anything about "Christians" knows that there are MANY diiferent "Christian" theologies. I don't know for sure in every case, or even in many cases, but I suspect that most "Christian" anti-Jewish attitudes stem quite logically from anti-Jewish theologies. I suspect that the same holds true for pro-Jewish attitudes and pro-Jewish theologies.

I believe that many Jews, and perhaps non-"Christians" in general, have no idea of the diversity of theology among the groups calling themselves "Christian."
Thank you!

There are Christians who think Jews need to have their souls saved and are determined to score brownie points by trying to convert you. I think there's like a special prize if you convert a Jew in contrast to, say, a run-of-the-mill nonbeliever of anything.

There are others (like me) who believe that there isn't one "right" spiritual path and that we should all strive to be the best Christian/Jew/Muslim/whatever we can be and find our commonalities to work together to do good.

Then there are Christians who just dismiss and write off Jews because what the heck, they're going to hell for not believing in Jesus anyway. Those types also think people like me are going to hell right along with you, by the way.

Having grown up in the NY/NJ metropolitan area, it wasn't until I came to City-Data that I was stunned to learn how many people there are in this country who have never actually even met a Jewish person. I think that often contributes to the proliferation of misunderstandings. There was long-time Jewish poster on this forum, now deceased, who told how when he was in the service he caught a guy staring closely at him and asked why. Turned out this guy had always been told that Jews had little horns coming out of their skulls and he was trying to see if he really did. Unbelievable, but I don't think this guy was making up the story.

Found the post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22786555-post251.html

Old 06-13-2019, 02:02 PM

5,907 posts, read 2,283,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you!

There are Christians who think Jews need to have their souls saved and are determined to score brownie points by trying to convert you. I think there's like a special prize if you convert a Jew in contrast to, say, a run-of-the-mill nonbeliever of anything.

There are others (like me) who believe that there isn't one "right" spiritual path and that we should all strive to be the best Christian/Jew/Muslim/whatever we can be and find our commonalities to work together to do good.

Then there are Christians who just dismiss and write off Jews because what the heck, they're going to hell for not believing in Jesus anyway. Those types also think people like me are going to hell right along with you, by the way.

Having grown up in the NY/NJ metropolitan area, it wasn't until I came to City-Data that I was stunned to learn how many people there are in this country who have never actually even met a Jewish person. I think that often contributes to the proliferation of misunderstandings. There was long-time Jewish poster on this forum, now deceased, who told how when he was in the service he caught a guy staring closely at him and asked why. Turned out this guy had always been told that Jews had little horns coming out of their skulls and he was trying to see if he really did. Unbelievable, but I don't think this guy was making up the story.

Found the post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22786555-post251.html

When I was a young adult working in Edmonton some Co workers could not believe that I was Jewish because I was working construction. They even had a harder time accepting that both of my grand fathers homesteaded..

Old 06-18-2019, 07:25 AM

3,683 posts, read 2,174,431 times
It's upsetting to me that anti-semitism is still so ingrained in many Christian cultures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism