Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 11:42 AM

919 posts, read 845,741 times

Advertisements

I'd like to understand more about why anti-semitism has persisted so long among Christians.

It seems beyond any proportion and quite a thin excuse that a group of Jews may or may not have played a part in condemning Jesus. The New testament description notwithstanding, Pontius Pilate was no wilting flower. If you believe Reza Aslan's "Jesus", he had already condemned several Jews to be crucified, plus as a Roman governor, he would not want to appear weak to his subjects.

But let's assume all that is true, and Jews in the first century caused Jesus to die. Don't the Christians still profess to believe in the Old testament? Where God says that the sins of the father shall not cause punishment for the children? So what explains the neo-Nazis today, the Nazis before them, the horrific pogroms in the Eastern Europe in the last few centuries, and going back even more, the crusaders murdering Jews on their way to wage the Holy War?

It is one thing to be weary of a "strange" religion (never mind that Christianity originated in Judaism and worships the same God - I think?), or suspect minorities because they don't "fit". Happens all over the world. But does not usually translate into a pattern of systematic murders.

Is it the success of Jews? A diversionary tactic by Christian (and Muslim) kings and dictators to direct the frustrations of their populace to an external whipping boy?

I get that irrational hatred cannot be fully explained by reason, but even a partial explanation would be appreciated. I have just about given up. But I think racists, Nazis, crusaders etc may be evil but not any dumber (except for the blind hate) than the rest of us. So what sustains their wrong beliefs?

Last edited by cfa-ish; 05-14-2019 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: typo - "would want" - "would not want"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 02:57 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,858,124 times
You should probably ask the Christians. We're as dumbfounded by it as you are.

Old 05-14-2019, 03:08 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,853,939 times
I don't have any problems with any of the Christian people I know, and the Christians I know aggressively repudiate antisemites.

As for the crazies in our society and what it is that sustains their wrong beliefs... I think I lot of it has to do with irrational fear, and a sad need to feel superior to others.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:51 PM

151 posts, read 87,730 times
My biggest problem isn't overt anti Semitism, but the more subtle stuff. My biggest issue is xians who appropriate Jewish culture and belief, and then twist it to their purposes.

I went to a womans house not too long ago (part of my job) and she had Jewish items (mezuzah, Hebrew calendar, Shabbot candles, menorah, etc) mixed in with Xian bible verses and sayings. I asked her about it ("Interesting mix you have here!") and she stated she was "messianic", a "fully redeemed and completed jew" (lower case J intentional). I had no words, so I just left it be, and I was working.

I've noticed other of these types floating around; people who would be infuriated at the idea of appropriating African American or Hispanic culture, for example have no issue what-so-ever with appropriating Jewish culture. Jesus is the "Pasach lamb"? His shows up in matzah, because of holes and stripes?? SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?

THIS is the kind of anti Semitic crap I worry about, the kind that comes with a soft hand to blur the lines and destroy our people and our culture. At least the obvious types make themselves known and don't disguise themselves as "friends of the Jews".

Old 05-14-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
I went to a womans house not too long ago (part of my job) and she had Jewish items (mezuzah, Hebrew calendar, Shabbot candles, menorah, etc) mixed in with Xian bible verses and sayings. I asked her about it ("Interesting mix you have here!") and she stated she was "messianic", a "fully redeemed and completed jew" (lower case J intentional). I had no words, so I just left it be, and I was working.

Messy-anics are wacky. Like, those of us who aren't "messianic" somehow aren't complete?

Old 05-14-2019, 06:33 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,945,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Messy-anics are wacky. Like, those of us who aren't "messianic" somehow aren't complete?
Heh, yea...Christians are Messianic anyway so what’s the point?...If you believe in Jesus, then you’re a Christian, period...

Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,945,363 times
Quote:
My biggest problem isn't overt anti Semitism, but the more subtle stuff. My biggest issue is xians who appropriate Jewish culture and belief, and then twist it to their purposes.

I've noticed other of these types floating around; people who would be infuriated at the idea of appropriating African American or Hispanic culture, for example have no issue what-so-ever with appropriating Jewish culture. Jesus is the "Pasach lamb"? His shows up in matzah, because of holes and stripes?? SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?

THIS is the kind of anti Semitic crap I worry about, the kind that comes with a soft hand to blur the lines and destroy our people and our culture. At least the obvious types make themselves known and don't disguise themselves as "friends of the Jews".
And then there’s the Christians that claim to be spiritual Israel...Like HaShem has abandoned us or something...And replaced us with the Christian...

Old 05-14-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Heh, yea...Christians are Messianic anyway so what’s the point?...If you believe in Jesus, then you’re a Christian, period...
I know, right? I have Christian friends who also think that the messianics are messed up.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 PM

151 posts, read 87,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Rachel, I know some Messies, they are a frustrating bunch. I had to defriend a bunch from my Facebook (long story as to how they got there in the first place) because listening, fighting and dealing with them made me literally sick to my stomach.

I'm not a perfect Jew by any stretch, but I strive to be better. I love Judaism so much and it is so important to me that I couldn't stand to watch be desecrated in Gd's name.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Rachel, I know some Messies, they are a frustrating bunch. I had to defriend a bunch from my Facebook (long story as to how they got there in the first place) because listening, fighting and dealing with them made me literally sick to my stomach.

I'm not a perfect Jew by any stretch, but I strive to be better. I love Judaism so much and it is so important to me that I couldn't stand to watch be desecrated in Gd's name.

If you should ever want to really confuse and/or irritate a messianic (especially one that's trying to convert you), just roll your eyes and say out loud: "Forgive them, Yoshke. They know not what they do."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism