U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 AM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
I used to get frustrated when people didn't understand what I was sharing, but this time, I am perfectly okay with it and give Praise to God.
P.S. My family has gone through everything there is to go through. To finish my reply to the post I was responding too.

Last edited by chief scum; 06-18-2019 at 08:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2019, 02:41 PM
 
Location: US
28,111 posts, read 15,190,110 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
P.S. My family has gone through everything there is to go through. To finish my reply to the post I was responding too.
You are a Christian...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 PM
 
Location: small Southern town balabusta
1,172 posts, read 1,443,031 times
Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Definitely not a Jew...

Sounds Jewishy to me. Frustrated when people don't understand what we're saying? We just talk louder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 07:55 AM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20
So many people in this mortal realm view the power to kill and murder as the greatest power. How could they possibly see anything past the Angel of Death. When the Israelites were leaving Egypt, after the Passover, Pharaoh and his army pursued them to the Red Sea, and there they were engulfed in Darkness while the Israelites had Light and crossed the Red Sea on dry ground while Pharaoh and his army met their end there, not seeing anything past the Angel of Death, as they had no Light. The Prophets also describe the Day of the Lord as a Day of Light and a Day of Darkness, just as God separated the Light from the Darkness on Day One.

So, if the people in this mortal realm view the power to kill and murder, both in word or deed, as the greatest light / power....all I can say is that if the light in them is darkness how great is that darkness. The Angel of Death tries to appear as an Angel of Light, "all powerful", but for God's children he disappears as eyes are opened to Life and the promised land for their feet to stand is before them in "every way", just as and how God showed Abraham and said He would give too Abraham and his offspring.

When Abraham went up that mountain with Isaac, he didn't view the power to kill as the greatest power or authority, as his thoughts going up that mountain are shared. He viewed God and His word as the greatest power and living authority, and in following God's word even to the literal point of death, both Abraham and Isaac saw past Death on that mountain as the Angels interceded. Which also translates to what I said about the Israelites and Pharaoh at the Red Sea as I mentioned in the first paragraph.

Last edited by chief scum; 08-04-2019 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 12:33 PM
 
Location: US
28,111 posts, read 15,190,110 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
So many people in this mortal realm view the power to kill and murder as the greatest power. How could they possibly see anything past the Angel of Death. When the Israelites were leaving Egypt, after the Passover, Pharaoh and his army pursued them to the Red Sea, and there they were engulfed in Darkness while the Israelites had Light and crossed the Red Sea on dry ground while Pharaoh and his army met their end there, not seeing anything past the Angel of Death, as they had no Light. The Prophets also describe the Day of the Lord as a Day of Light and a Day of Darkness, just as God separated the Light from the Darkness on Day One.

So, if the people in this mortal realm view the power to kill and murder, both in word or deed, as the greatest light / power....all I can say is that if the light in them is darkness how great is that darkness. The Angel of Death tries to appear as an Angel of Light, "all powerful", but for God's children he disappears as eyes are opened to Life and the promised land for their feet to stand is before them in "every way", just as and how God showed Abraham and said He would give too Abraham and his offspring.

When Abraham went up that mountain with Isaac, he didn't view the power to kill as the greatest power or authority, as his thoughts going up that mountain are shared. He viewed God and His word as the greatest power and living authority, and in following God's word even to the literal point of death, both Abraham and Isaac saw past Death on that mountain as the Angels interceded. Which also translates to what I said about the Israelites and Pharaoh at the Red Sea as I mentioned in the first paragraph.
Avraham misunderstood HaShem’s request, He asked Avraham to take Isaac for a sacrifice, not AS a sacrifice...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2019, 02:46 PM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Avraham misunderstood HaShem’s request, He asked Avraham to take Isaac for a sacrifice, not AS a sacrifice...
It says when Abraham responded to God's call, that God said; Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice "him" there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about.....

...And this is the testimony of the Angel of the Lord who said; I swear by myself declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and sand on the sea shore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, BECAUSE YOU OBEYED ME.

It doesn't appear to me that Abraham or the Angel of the Lord was mistaken. And where is the test if it is as you are saying. A lot went on there, heaven and earth came together in shared understanding on that mountain and great blessing confirmed there on unshakeable ground.

If you are going to bring Abraham's and the Angel of the Lord's perception into question on that, then you bring everything concerning Abraham into question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 05:12 AM
 
Location: US
28,111 posts, read 15,190,110 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
It says when Abraham responded to God's call, that God said; Take your son, your only son, Isaac, whom you love, and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice "him" there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will tell you about.....

...And this is the testimony of the Angel of the Lord who said; I swear by myself declares the Lord, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and sand on the sea shore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, BECAUSE YOU OBEYED ME.

It doesn't appear to me that Abraham or the Angel of the Lord was mistaken. And where is the test if it is as you are saying. A lot went on there, heaven and earth came together in shared understanding on that mountain and great blessing confirmed there on unshakeable ground.

If you are going to bring Abraham's and the Angel of the Lord's perception into question on that, then you bring everything concerning Abraham into question.
Berei**** - Genesis - Chapter 22

2 And He said, "Please take your son, your only one, whom you love, yea, Isaac, and go away to the land of Moriah and bring him up there for a burnt offering on one of the mountains, of which I will tell you."

Why would G-d ask him to do something that He detests?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 06:02 AM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Berei**** - Genesis - Chapter 22

2 And He said, "Please take your son, your only one, whom you love, yea, Isaac, and go away to the land of Moriah and bring him up there for a burnt offering on one of the mountains, of which I will tell you."

Why would G-d ask him to do something that He detests?...
The test wasn't for God's benefit, the test was for Abraham's benefit. And Abraham and Isaac benefited greatly.


So, much is translated in the law of Moses to Abraham's offspring from that. Like to love the Lord your God and keep his requirements and decrees, His laws and His commands always. And so very much more, as those words were fulfilled in Abraham there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 06:38 AM
 
715 posts, read 80,011 times
Reputation: 429
Regarding the binding of Isaac... I don't think it was a test. I think it was an object lesson.

I think that G-d wanted to demonstrate to Abraham in no uncertain terms that human sacrifice is something that we don't do, even though it was commonly accepted and practiced by other tribes in that time. Hence Abraham's unquestioning willingness to bring his son up on the mountain as a human sacrifice. Only by stopping Abraham's hand at the crucial moment, could G-d show Abraham that human sacrifice is not what G-d wants from His people, regardless of how devoted we are to Him.

G-d didn't really need to test Abraham to see how devoted he was, as G-d can see into our hearts and know what we feel, anyway. It was Abraham who needed to be shown (in a way that he would never forget) how seriously G-d was opposed to human sacrifice, in contrast to the gods worshiped by Abraham's neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 07:03 AM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Regarding the binding of Isaac... I don't think it was a test. I think it was an object lesson.

I think that G-d wanted to demonstrate to Abraham in no uncertain terms that human sacrifice is something that we don't do, even though it was commonly accepted and practiced by other tribes in that time. Hence Abraham's unquestioning willingness to bring his son up on the mountain as a human sacrifice. Only by stopping Abraham's hand at the crucial moment, could G-d show Abraham that human sacrifice is not what G-d wants from His people, regardless of how devoted we are to Him.

G-d didn't really need to test Abraham to see how devoted he was, as G-d can see into our hearts and know what we feel, anyway. It was Abraham who needed to be shown (in a way that he would never forget) how seriously G-d was opposed to human sacrifice, in contrast to the gods worshiped by Abraham's neighbors.
It was a test, just as it says in the scripture.....These words from scripture also come from that, as it says; To listen and obey is better than sacrifice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top