U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2019, 08:10 AM
 
Location: US
28,111 posts, read 15,190,110 times
Reputation: 1770

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Regarding the binding of Isaac... I don't think it was a test. I think it was an object lesson.

I think that G-d wanted to demonstrate to Abraham in no uncertain terms that human sacrifice is something that we don't do, even though it was commonly accepted and practiced by other tribes in that time. Hence Abraham's unquestioning willingness to bring his son up on the mountain as a human sacrifice. Only by stopping Abraham's hand at the crucial moment, could G-d show Abraham that human sacrifice is not what G-d wants from His people, regardless of how devoted we are to Him.

G-d didn't really need to test Abraham to see how devoted he was, as G-d can see into our hearts and know what we feel, anyway. It was Abraham who needed to be shown (in a way that he would never forget) how seriously G-d was opposed to human sacrifice, in contrast to the gods worshiped by Abraham's neighbors.
Did you notice from that time onward G-d stopped communicating with Avraham directly?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2019, 04:46 PM
 
Location: U.S.A
62 posts, read 8,849 times
Reputation: 98
Just mentioning. . . In addition to the lesson on it being wrong to sacrifice children in that day and age. We can look at this same lesson today in sacrificing our children to any number of things. We let them stray from our religious teachings in favor of secular learning. This too is a type of death, along with about a thousand other examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2019, 05:28 PM
 
412 posts, read 127,437 times
Reputation: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Regarding the binding of Isaac... I don't think it was a test. I think it was an object lesson.

I think that G-d wanted to demonstrate to Abraham in no uncertain terms that human sacrifice is something that we don't do, even though it was commonly accepted and practiced by other tribes in that time. Hence Abraham's unquestioning willingness to bring his son up on the mountain as a human sacrifice. Only by stopping Abraham's hand at the crucial moment, could G-d show Abraham that human sacrifice is not what G-d wants from His people, regardless of how devoted we are to Him.

G-d didn't really need to test Abraham to see how devoted he was, as G-d can see into our hearts and know what we feel, anyway. It was Abraham who needed to be shown (in a way that he would never forget) how seriously G-d was opposed to human sacrifice, in contrast to the gods worshiped by Abraham's neighbors.
IMO, this seems a reasonable interpretation. The incident ceratainly seems to be a marking point in Jewish history. All subsequent reference to [other nations'] human sacrifice of children is very negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 06:03 AM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20
...When I said that the words in scripture that come from that; to listen and obey is better than sacrifice, is a paraphrase of 1 Samuel 15. And it is also touched in the Psalms and Prophets. I also learn the root of that from the Garden of Eden, as the first sacrifice was the sacrifice of God's word in favor of the lying beguiling serpents words. So Abraham going up that mountain with Isaac was a " most personal moment ". And God confirmed His Covenant Word with Abraham there to the highest degree as God swore by " Himself " to fulfill His Covenant Word to Abraham. As Abraham did not sacrifice God's word to him, rather he listened and obeyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 07:20 AM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20
…..Just as the three boys mentioned in Daniel, who King Nebuchednezzar cranked up the furnace to 7 times the heat, and threw the three boys in for not bowing down to him and there was a fourth person in there. That too was a most personal moment to the highest degree. As the they walked out alive.

Those moments are not passing moments, they have eternal significance, and carry the gift of seeing past Death, in all righteousness. I pray to be allowed to eat the fruit from the Tree of Life, and the opening of eyes that come with that, and I am willing to stand at the end of the hopefully very long line.

Last edited by chief scum; 08-06-2019 at 08:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2019, 10:55 AM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
..Just as the three boys mentioned in Daniel, who King Nebuchednezzar cranked up the furnace to 7 times the heat, and threw the three boys in for not bowing down to him and there was a fourth person in there. That too was a most personal moment to the highest degree. As the they walked out alive.

Those moments are not passing moments, they have eternal significance, and carry the gift of seeing past Death, in all righteousness. I pray to be allowed to eat the fruit from the Tree of Life, and the opening of eyes that come with that, and I am willing to stand at the end of the hopefully very long line.
I figure being at the end of the line is a good place for me, because then people can put me behind them, along with all my evil history. I know my evil history needs to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 08:17 AM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20
….The reason I wrote the last post is because self-justification and Atonement are a world apart. Adam chose self-justification when he blamed God and the Woman, over "owning up" and seeking the mercy seat, as the Tree of Life was near. Self-justification only serves a singular purpose, as the "ownership" and ruling authority that God gave him was lost.

God established the Holy Sabbath Day as the first day for the man and woman to walk into, and we have no indication of that there, and instead, through Adam's self-justification, serving a singular/self purpose, it was grow your own food by the sweat of your brow. And a whole banquet of food prepared and provided by God, still on the table.

God gave the Man and Woman everything pertaining to Life, including the command. God didn't change.

Last edited by chief scum; 08-10-2019 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20
So many times I have had to come out and say that I am a most evil person. And I have never gotten any disagreement on that from anyone. 100 percent.

So, I am only left with looking to the One True God and saying; I know you love me and I thank you for your rod of correction. As that is how I know. And that is what keeps me on course. I also see that in Leah when she gave birth to Judah, saying to God; I know you love me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
 
Location: small Southern town balabusta
1,172 posts, read 1,443,031 times
Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
So many times I have had to come out and say that I am a most evil person. And I have never gotten any disagreement on that from anyone. 100 percent.


I have been wanting to ask this for awhile: Are you okay, friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM
 
63 posts, read 7,484 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I have been wanting to ask this for awhile: Are you okay, friend?
Yes, I'm doing fine, all things considered. Thank you for asking.

When I say to someone that I am a most evil person, it is because they are acting like they are all good, and I just want to cut through the bull and offer up the sacrifice.

I often find that the people who walk around acting like they are all good, do so at everyone else's expense. The all together goodness of God is the opposite of that.

I hear that even in prison, they all say they are innocent.

Last edited by chief scum; Yesterday at 04:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top