U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 01:29 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,079,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I think that's more a reflection of the sort of "scholarship" one finds on most online forums and social media these days, than anything else. It's not a phenomenon that's exclusive to those who also happen to come from a Christian background. You may see more of it over in the Christian forum, because the majority of people in the U.S. tend to identify themselves as Christians.
I'm currently on three websites that have these type of forums, and it's been going on for decades. I dealt with it when I was Frum in the 70's before online forums and social media existed. You are dreaming if you think "Blood Libel" is something new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

My question is: Instead of working so hard to widen the gap, why not work a bit to build a bridge through education and understanding? (Not meaning YOU personally, in general.) Sure, sometimes it's not going to have any effect. But I am not the only Christian who is interesting in learning where the errors are that we were taught were truth.
LOL, When I'm in the US I teach Judaism to Southern Baptists.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:36 PM

56,003 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Good to know!

Old 06-04-2019, 01:40 PM

27,953 posts, read 15,035,923 times
Quote:
Do what?...

Old 06-04-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Ask Richard (and a few other people on CD) how many threads, in the Christianity forum, he had me jump into just to explain Satan and that it's not what they were brought up to think it means. It's not some small group, it's all. There are numerous mis-translations/mis-interpretations and there are numerous threads that discuss it only to be told us the Yehudim are wrong.
Yea, it would be nice to know how the tester morphed into G-ds enemy...

Old 06-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I'm telling you it's NOT "all". Are you telling me I don't know what I know, Pru?

Yes, I agree, the morphing of Satan from what he is in Judaism into the personification of evil is widely unknown in much of Christianity. I did not know myself that Satan was different in Judaism from Christianity until well into adulthood when, as I've mentioned on here a number of times before, I was in online conversations with Jewish women. How would it be possible for someone to know that unless they had a serious conversation with an actual Jew about the subject?

And yup, there are plenty of Christians who are still going to tell you that you are wrong about your own religion. Just as there are people on this thread telling Christians that they are wrong about their own religion, when in reality, they are wrong about Judaism.

My question is: Instead of working so hard to widen the gap, why not work a bit to build a bridge through education and understanding? (Not meaning YOU personally, in general.) Sure, sometimes it's not going to have any effect. But I am not the only Christian who is interesting in learning where the errors are that we were taught were truth.
If our Tanakh is wrong, then whats that make Christianity?...

If you learn what the errors are, you may well become a Jew...

Old 06-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea, it would be nice to know how the tester morphed into G-ds enemy...
Boy are we in the wrong sub for this. The book of Isaiah. How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! How art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations.

That's all I'm going to type on this.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
If our Tanakh is wrong, then whats that make Christianity?...

If you learn what the errors are, you may well become a Jew...
Or Islamic.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:02 PM

81 posts, read 14,258 times
Quote:

While this is a lovely thought, if I tell you where (in my humble belief) you are in error, then all of your religion falls apart.

There is no Jesus in the Tanakh, he isn't "hidden" in there anywhere. The nt is just as relevant to Jews as the book of Mormon ("another new testament") is to most mainstream Xians. The Messiah hasn't come yet.

If you accept these beliefs, even after we show you WHY these are considered to be accurate, there is no Xian religion. While that's perfectly fine with me, I imagine it would be very upsetting to a lot of believers.

**For the record, one of my favorite partners is Hindu. While I'm perfectly happy to explain what I believe and why, I don't spent any time telling her she is "wrong", unless she just flat out has bad information about Judaism. She does the same thing teaching me about Hinduism.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:21 PM

551 posts, read 52,589 times
Quote:
I'm currently on three websites that have these type of forums, and it's been going on for decades. I dealt with it when I was Frum in the 70's before online forums and social media existed. You are dreaming if you think "Blood Libel" is something new.

Of course I don't think that "blood libel" is something new. Ignorant, contemptible people have always been around. Is EVERYONE who isn't Jewish an ignorant, contemptible person? How one answers that says more about oneself than it does about others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or