Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 01:00 PM

919 posts, read 845,021 times

Advertisements

Curious - what check-box do most Jews use when there is a race/ethnicity question?

I assume "White" (last time I dealt with the question, "White" was defined as "non-Hispanic whites including people from Europe and Middle-East" and Jews originated in the Middle East.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM

18,903 posts, read 27,369,576 times
Are Jews a Race?

In the 1980s, the United States Supreme Court ruled that Jews are a race, at least for purposes of certain anti-discrimination laws. Their reasoning: at the time these laws were passed, people routinely spoke of the "Jewish race" or the "Italian race" as well as the "Negro race," so that is what the legislators intended to protect.
But many Jews were deeply offended by that decision, offended by any hint that Jews could be considered a race. The idea of Jews as a race brings to mind nightmarish visions of Nazi Germany, where Jews were declared to be not just a race, but an inferior race that had to be rounded up into ghettos and exterminated like vermin.
But setting aside the emotional issues, Jews are clearly not a race.
Race is a genetic distinction, and refers to people with shared ancestry and shared genetic traits. You can't change your race; it's in your DNA. I could never become black or Asian no matter how much I might want to.
Common ancestry is not required to be a Jew. Many Jews worldwide share common ancestry, as shown by genetic research; however, you can be a Jew without sharing this common ancestry, for example, by converting. Thus, although I could never become black or Asian, blacks and Asians have become Jews (Sammy Davis Jr. and Connie Chung).

Judaism 101: What Is Judaism?

It depends though which scientific environment you grew or live in. One I grew in, would classify true genetic Yehuda as Caucasians. And they do look like Caucasians, along with their Armenian, Azerbaijani, Georgian and other endemic to Caucasus region peoples.

I'd not call them whites. Whites are Europoids, Jews are Caucasoids. Simply look into a mirror.

But hey, according to the quote, you are not a race to start with, so it's a null question.

Old 06-12-2019, 01:57 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,923,837 times
We are a religion and a NATION, but not a race...

Old 06-12-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
We are a religion and a NATION, but not a race...
I know, that's why I am curious what box you check.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:12 PM

88,259 posts, read 84,207,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
I know, that's why I am curious what box you check.
Probably the appropriate box for whichever applies to the individual.

I know a frum young lady who was born in China. She probably checks "Asian". Her mother probably checks "white".

What would Sammy Davis, Jr., have checked?

Old 06-12-2019, 02:42 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,849,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
All of them!

ā€œIā€™m colored, Jewish, and Puerto Rican. When I move into a neighborhood, I wipe it out.ā€ -- Sammy Davis, Jr.

Gotta love him!

Old 06-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Probably the appropriate box for whichever applies to the individual.

I know a frum young lady who was born in China. She probably checks "Asian". Her mother probably checks "white".

These are outliers and not that important.

I bet a majority of Jews don't check Asian or Black even if they are from Asia (Middle East) or Africa. But I don't know, so I am asking.

EDIT: I realize this may be an impolite question for the forum. But I am hoping it is more tolerable in the anonymity of the internet than going up to somebody and asking them!!

Old 06-12-2019, 03:23 PM

611 posts, read 305,288 times
I generally check "White" or "Asian." I have also, in the past, checked "Other" and explained "Jewish." My answer mostly depends on what categories are offered, although I have occasionally based my answer on a futile attempt at consistency. Looking at a global map, I suppose that "Asian" has been the best answer for most Jews.

In general, I regard "race," particularly broken down into only a few categories, as a crock of ****. Nevertheless, it is not 100% wasted.

Anyone remember Caucasoid, Negroid, and Mongoloid? That was the last word on all of humanity.

Race? Feh!

Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,849,420 times
Quote:
EDIT: I realize this may be an impolite question for the forum. But I am hoping it is more tolerable in the anonymity of the internet than going up to somebody and asking them!!

Thank you for your concern. I'll answer the question by saying that I don't check any race boxes for myself at all ā€“ just to be contrary.

I'm with ben Shunamit who says: "Race? Feh!" LOL

Old 06-13-2019, 12:46 PM

88,259 posts, read 84,207,404 times
Quote:
These are outliers and not that important.

I bet a majority of Jews don't check Asian or Black even if they are from Asia (Middle East) or Africa. But I don't know, so I am asking.

Well, Sammy and my friend's adopted daughter might be outliers, but most of the Jewish people I know had ancestors who came from places like Hungary, Netherlands, France, so I think "white" is probably a fairly common choice and not an outlier.

But, along with others, I believe having to check a "race" is stupid to begin with--for anyone, not just Jewish people.

We all had our DNA done in our family. One niece is 60% white, 35% African-American, and 5% Native American.

There are people who would look at her and see a black woman. Which box should she check?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism