U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 07:20 AM

1,738 posts, read 567,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
At some schools, yes. Absolutely. There's been some particularly horrific things happening at UCBerkeley, for instance, where Jewish voices are shut out of conversations simply because they're Jewish: https://forward.com/fast-forward/423...-anti-zionist/

But it grinds my gears when because there are some students who have different views about the Middle East, it's automatically assumed to be a threat to be Jewish there. I went to Brandeis (a Jewish-founded university with - gasp - coed dorms and precious little drinking) and occasionally I see headlines about how Brandeis is antisemitic because the administration doesn't stop a small group of students from holding a die-in for Palestinians or because one student scrawls "Free Palestine" on an unlabeled graffiti box installation. They make me laugh out loud every single time, but I have relatives who forward them along to me in horror who believe the anti higher ed rhetoric hook, line, and sinker. Any threats students face there for being Jewish unfortunately come from the outside, not from within.

Antisemitism is on the rise on college campuses, absolutely. But it's incredibly important to me to look antisemitism in the face and not confuse it with disagreement or different views on the complex realities of multiple groups of people holding historical and contemporary claim on a very small piece of contested land.
I went to Brandeis also and specifically told my kid that she isn't going there.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:29 AM

1,334 posts, read 187,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Antisemitism is on the rise on college campuses, absolutely. But it's incredibly important to me to look antisemitism in the face and not confuse it with disagreement or different views on the complex realities of multiple groups of people holding historical and contemporary claim on a very small piece of contested land.

I agree with your previous statement that one shouldn't hide from people who disagree or think differently from oneself. However, it's important to also look "disagreement" in the face and discern exactly what they are disagreeing with, as well as its source.

The anti-Israel demonstrations on college campuses don't merely focus on perceived injustices done by Israel against Palestinians. Many of them go beyond that to question Israel's right to exist at all. And then this anger becomes directed against Jewish students on these campuses. Which, in effect, questions the right of Jews to exist at all.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:55 AM

28,678 posts, read 15,725,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I agree with your previous statement that one shouldn't hide from people who disagree or think differently from oneself. However, it's important to also look "disagreement" in the face and discern exactly what they are disagreeing with, as well as its source.

The anti-Israel demonstrations on college campuses don't merely focus on perceived injustices done by Israel against Palestinians. Many of them go beyond that to question Israel's right to exist at all. And then this anger becomes directed against Jewish students on these campuses. Which, in effect, questions the right of Jews to exist at all.
No wonder a lot of older Jews back in the day learned to box...

Old 06-16-2019, 10:58 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,475,113 times
Many yeshivas as a part of their post high school beis medresh programs, the boys can earn credit towards their bachelors of Talmudic Law and never have to sit in a classroom with a goy. I learned today that Ner Yisroel in Baltimore offers masters degrees, again, with frum-only classrooms.

My oldest, who will be in 12th grade in yeshiva next year, is taking his ACT this morning. Im perfectly aware how useful a bachelors can be. But not at the cost of his neshama. And respectfully, many of you have no basis or background to understand the pull to keep our precious frum children away from the dangers of secularism.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:07 AM

4,193 posts, read 3,475,113 times
I heard an amazing Chasam Sofer over Shabbos. We always hear Moshe Rebbeinu was the most humble person who ever lived. But how can that be? He spoke directly with Hashem. He was the leader of 6 million Jews. The greatest prophet of all time. Well, Chazal tell us Moshe had in his possession a sefer written by Adam ha Rishon that listed every Jewish souls who would ever live, until moshiach, and what was their fate. When he looked up the neshamas in end times, he saw that (just like in today’s times), they will live in a time of where Hashem’s presence will be entirely hidden. And yet, those Jews will still keep all 613 mitzvos. How easy it was to keep the mitzvos is Moshe’s time with constant open miracles. But in today’s times, where even the vast majority of Jews discourage the observance of mitzvos (just look at this thread and this forum) there are still many Jews who do indeed keep all the mitzvos. To that, Moshe was deeply humbled.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
No wonder a lot of older Jews back in the day learned to box...

Cool that you mentioned that, Richard! Here's a list of some notable Jewish boxers:

Daniel Mendoza (1764-1836) Boxing Champion of England 1792-1795.
Samuel "Dutch Sam" Elias (1775-1816) London boxer who invented the uppercut.
Harry Harris (1880-1959) World Bantamnweight Champion in 1901.
Abe Attell (1883-1970) Featherweight World Champion.
Abe Hollandersky (1887-1966) Listed in Guinness Book of Records for fighting the most boxing matches.
Al McCoy (1894-1966) World Middleweight Champion 1914-1917.
Moe Herscovitch (1896-1969) Middleweight and Olympic Champion.
Benny Leonard (1896-1947) World Lightweight Champion 1917-1925.
Max Baer (1909-1959) Defeated Hitler's champion Max Schmeling.
Victor Perez (1911-1945) In in the 1930s he became the youngest world champion in boxing history; killed by the Nazis.
Salamo Arouch (1923-2009) Middleweight Champion; survivor of Auschwitz.
Carolina Duer (1978- ) Yes, a Jewish woman boxer and Junior Bantamweight World Champion.
Yuri Foreman (1980- ) WBA Super Welterweight Champion... and rabbi!

Old 06-16-2019, 12:47 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And respectfully, many of you have no basis or background to understand the pull to keep our precious frum children away from the dangers of secularism.
So, again respectfully, if you knew your answer already, why did you ask this group? I am asking because I have always held you in kind regards, but it seems like (and I hope I'm incorrect) you're asking so that we can be publicly shamed for our answers. I'm trying to understand. In the past, you were always a beacon of light and saneness and I enjoyed reading about what you were studying, how you celebrated the Jewish holidays, and I really enjoyed your strong kindness and unique insights. You were one of the few frum people I could relate to from what you posted. When I heard snarky comments in real life about frum Jews, I thought about people like you when I defended your people and made those comments stop (you might be thinking that Torah Observant Jews need no defense, which is correct, but I wasn't going to let people say it anyway).

Some (or most) people try to work on their observance in steps, and look to frum Jews for guidance. It seems, however, that you want to push us away or shame us when we give sincere answers based on our perspective.

I personally feel that it's essential that as many Jews as possible obtain the highest level of education that they have the means to obtain. Sure, if you're frum, send your kids to a frum university. If you're secular, but working on things and co-ed dorms creep you out, send your kids to a commuter college. In this climate, regardless of your political leanings, it's especially crucial that we are well educated and/or politically astute. That's not difficult to figure out.

My heart is heavy and I'll be taking a break from this forum for another few years again. Only this time, it's for a different, more discouraging reason.

Shalom,

Chana

Old 06-16-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Sad, isn't it? I just want to add a link to an outstanding website on science and Judaism...

https://www.judaismandscience.com/

...for the following reasons:

1. To show that Jews in general are not opposed to science (it's no secret that Jews are greatly over-represented among our Nobel Prize winners in the field of science).

2. For anyone here who would find the discussions at this site on science in relation to Judaism both interesting and beneficial.

3. And just because it's a cool site.

Bookmarked the site. Thank you!

Old 06-16-2019, 12:56 PM

Chana, I wish you well (but mostly wish you wouldn't leave us). You are a bright light of kindness on this forum and it would really sadden me to see you leave. I don't know whether you're leaving for personal reasons, or whether it's because of disappointment that you're finding here. If you feel like talking in DM, please drop me a line.

Always your friend,
Rachel

Old 06-16-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Chana, I wish you well (but mostly wish you wouldn't leave us). You are a bright light of kindness on this forum and it would really sadden me to see you leave. I don't know whether you're leaving for personal reasons, or whether it's because of disappointment that you're finding here. If you feel like talking in DM, please drop me a line.

Always your friend,
Rachel

Thank you, friend! I didn't mean to post a "goodbye, cruel forum" post, as that's my pet peeve when people do that. I usually pop in every few years or so for a few months at a time. I'll be in touch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or