U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 02:24 PM

27,990 posts, read 15,070,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
They get to live their own lives, but it’s culturally appropriate to stay under the mother birds wings until marriage. The secular world is a foreign awful place to a G-d fearing Jew, and our sages of blessed memory did not intend for Yidden to interact with goyim.
How then do we become a light unto the nations?...

Old 06-11-2019, 03:19 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,346,023 times
I love monkeys. Beautiful creatures Hashem made. But the “evidence” that we have common ancestors, ie we came from something even more primitive than a monkey, is called the “theory” of evolution for a reason. It’s just a theory. I struggle to see how a scientific theory is greater than the version we are given in the Torah, which is directly from Hashem. Hard to call Hashem a lier.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
How then do we become a light unto the nations?...
There’s no such thing as 100% insular. That doesn’t mean we have to play in the goyim’s sand box. When I’m in public, I act like a mensch, ie a light unto the nations. But G-d forbid I should join BDS rallies, or give public support to anti-Semitic politicians or listen to goyisha music, or find any satisfaction in “science” and so on.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:29 PM

596 posts, read 60,465 times
Quote:
There’s no such thing as 100% insular. That doesn’t mean we have to play in the goyim’s sand box. When I’m in public, I act like a mensch, ie a light unto the nations. But G-d forbid I should join BDS rallies, or give public support to anti-Semitic politicians or listen to goyisha music, or find any satisfaction in “science” and so on.

Well, you're "in public" when you are on a public forum, such as this one. And I would not call it acting like a mensch when you talk about gentiles as though they were all out to get you. It's also not acting like a mensch when you gleefully cheer the destruction of a Christian house of worship, as you did not so long ago on this forum.

Just trying to get our definition straight of what "acting like a mensch" means.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Well, you're "in public" when you are on a public forum, such as this one. And I would not call it acting like a mensch when you talk about gentiles as though they were all out to get you. It's also not acting like a mensch when you gleefully cheer the destruction of a Christian house of worship, as you did not so long ago on this forum.

Just trying to get our definition straight of what "acting like a mensch" means.
I wish I could respond to this post, but there’s a poster in this forum who will report me and a mod who will ban me. Let me just say I’m sorry if I’ve offended your secular sensitivity with Torah views.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:20 PM

596 posts, read 60,465 times
Quote:
I wish I could respond to this post, but there’s a poster in this forum who will report me and a mod who will ban me. Let me just say I’m sorry if I’ve offended your secular sensitivity with Torah views.

Your sarcasm isn't appreciated. Nor was the DM that you sent me (which I have no intention of responding to).

Old 06-11-2019, 07:19 PM

56 posts, read 7,251 times
All Jews and non-Jews are still G-ds Children too. We may not agree with everything they think, or have been taught. But they are still entitled to our compassion, care, prayers, and good deeds.

Recently a man confronted me with the basic shun of my being Jewish. Without actually saying the word ' Jewish ' He said some pretty course things, and acted in a way that was inappropriate. He did this in a private conversation. He's a younger fellow.

Several weeks later he had some trouble in the workplace, and a mutual company called for a volunteer to help him out. I volunteered to help.

After it was over he apologized for what he said to me. He stated that he did not know what was wrong with him. I told him I forgave him, asked him to do better, and to do his best. We talked for a while. He wanted to pay. I said that he could just owe me one. That will most certainly happen. We all need help in what I do for a living.

We are now on friendly speaking terms.

Maybe not always. . .But the general healing of people that have that inherited negative opinion sometimes starts with us becoming willing to fix it. Even if it is just one person at a time.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:37 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,434,238 times
Quote:

TFF, the weight of the world is on your shoulders, I'm sure. You have a big responsibility. Others look to you, a Torah Observant Jew, as a role model. I was disappointed to see the post in which you seemed to be celebrating the burning of Notre Dame. I hope that you'll return outwardly to being the person that I know you are, with a strong but kind personality.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 AM

8,815 posts, read 10,719,701 times
Quote:
I love monkeys. Beautiful creatures Hashem made. But the “evidence” that we have common ancestors, ie we came from something even more primitive than a monkey, is called the “theory” of evolution for a reason. It’s just a theory. I struggle to see how a scientific theory is greater than the version we are given in the Torah, which is directly from Hashem. Hard to call Hashem a lier.
1. A common misunderstanding of the word "theory" (which BTW, is another reason studying science in college is helpful)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...science-words/

Part of the problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that has been substantiated through repeated experiments or testing. But to the average Jane or Joe, a theory is just an idea that lives in someone's head, rather than an explanation rooted in experiment and testing.

2. As I am sure you are aware, there many ways to interpret the words of Torah. Orthodox Rabbis, including the elder Rabbi Kook, Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, and many others, have shown that the words of Bere**** can be reconciled with evolution.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM

8,815 posts, read 10,719,701 times
But G-d forbid I should join BDS rallies, or give public support to anti-Semitic politicians

Young Jews on campus fight BDS and antisemitism BECAUSE they are on campus (btw if one wants a campus fully commited to modern science, where BDS and antisemitism are less likely to be issues, I can suggest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_and_colleges

or listen to goyisha music,

I am sorry for you that you won't get to experience a Beethoven symphony, a Mozart opera, or a Chopin interlude. (would you list to music by Aaron Copeland - not a goy, but I guess an atheist)

or find any satisfaction in “science” and so on

I don't get satisfaction from"science" but am glad I know some science. BTW, how are you accessing the internet without benefit of the fruits of science?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or