U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 AM

3,962 posts, read 3,342,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
But G-d forbid I should join BDS rallies, or give public support to anti-Semitic politicians

Young Jews on campus fight BDS and antisemitism BECAUSE they are no campus (btw if one wants a campus fully commited to modern science, where BDS and antisemitism are less likely to be issues, I can suggest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_and_colleges

or listen to goyisha music,

I am sorry for you that you won't get to experience a Beethoven symphony, a Mozart opera, or a Chopin interlude. (would you list to music by Aaron Copeland - not a goy, but I guess an atheist)

or find any satisfaction in “science” and so on

I don't get satisfaction from"science" but am glad I know some science. BTW, how are you accessing the internet without benefit of the fruits of science?
Thanks for sharing your viewpoints, BBD. Bottom line, I listen to the gadolim, and they feel highly suspect with regards to science, secular music and the harmful influence of secular education on the Jewish neshama. If I want to know what the circumference of the world is, I can google it (or look inside Meseches Pesachim, where 1600 years ago Rava, I believe it was, stated the circumference with accuracy), but I shouldn’t have to send my precious children to such a toxic, immoral place as a college campus to learn that.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM

21,365 posts, read 24,104,739 times
Quote:
But G-d forbid I should join BDS rallies, or give public support to anti-Semitic politicians

Young Jews on campus fight BDS and antisemitism BECAUSE they are on campus (btw if one wants a campus fully commited to modern science, where BDS and antisemitism are less likely to be issues, I can suggest https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_and_colleges

or listen to goyisha music,

I am sorry for you that you won't get to experience a Beethoven symphony, a Mozart opera, or a Chopin interlude. (would you list to music by Aaron Copeland - not a goy, but I guess an atheist)

or find any satisfaction in “science” and so on

I don't get satisfaction from"science" but am glad I know some science. BTW, how are you accessing the internet without benefit of the fruits of science?
FYI; He's Baal Teshva (a secular Jew that has become religious). He's has experienced it all.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:11 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,712,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Thanks for sharing your viewpoints, BBD. Bottom line, I listen to the gadolim, and they feel highly suspect with regards to science, secular music and the harmful influence of secular education on the Jewish neshama. If I want to know what the circumference of the world is, I can google it (or look inside Meseches Pesachim, where 1600 years ago Rava, I believe it was, stated the circumference with accuracy), but I shouldn’t have to send my precious children to such a toxic, immoral place as a college campus to learn that.
The Greeks estimated the circumference of the world before that - its possible to do with astronomical calculations. Maybe Rava had read their work or work based on their work. Which would mean he had studies "science"

If you have made up your mind about all these things, based on deference to those you consider to be gadolim, why are you asking here "if college is a place for a Yid". Seems your mind is made up, and you are using the pretence of a question as a basis to argue with others.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
but I shouldn’t have to send my precious children to such a toxic, immoral place as a college campus to learn that.
I will refrain from calling a haredi yeshiva a toxic immoral place.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
FYI; He's Baal Teshva (a secular Jew that has become religious). He's has experienced it all.
I am aware of that. But I doubt that means he has "experienced it all".

Old 06-12-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I am aware of that. But I doubt that means he has "experienced it all".
He has experienced enough of it, that now he thinks he should be able to dictate to others his version of the correct path for a Yehudi to follow.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:41 PM

397 posts, read 123,115 times
Quote:
As I am sure you are aware, there many ways to interpret the words of Torah. Orthodox Rabbis, including the elder Rabbi Kook, Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, and many others, have shown that the words of Bere**** can be reconciled with evolution.
That is interesting, and is an opinion which I happen to share. However, there is no need to reconcile Torah with what our Christian fundamentalist friends call "macro-evolution." While the process of small changes (adaptations), which some call "micro-evolution," is not a theory, but rather an observation, the extension of such a process to account for the entire creation of the animal and vegetable worlds is a leap of faith at least as great as the leap of faith in a single Creator.

The belief in macro-Evolution is a religious belief, not a scientific belief.

To be continued.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I will refrain from calling a haredi yeshiva a toxic immoral place.
If you are from Bklyn and had gone to a 'Black hat' Yeshiva, looking back and comparing your education to what's done to youths behind the UO doors some of it may be considered toxic and some of it would be considered immoral.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM

3,962 posts, read 3,342,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
He has experienced enough of it, that now he thinks he should be able to dictate to others his version of the correct path for a Yehudi to follow.
I have found in this forum a (not so) shocking lack of knowledge of Torah values. Everyone here can decide if their secular ways are morally equivalent to a Torah way. But at least now they’ve heard that the way Jews have lived the last 3,300 years is still alive and well. And it doesn’t look much like the way 85% of Jews conduct their lives today.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM

581 posts, read 58,592 times
Quote:
I have found in this forum a (not so) shocking lack of knowledge of Torah values. Everyone here can decide if their secular ways are morally equivalent to a Torah way. But at least now they’ve heard that the way Jews have lived the last 3,300 years is still alive and well. And it doesn’t look much like the way 85% of Jews conduct their lives today.

You are not the last word on the Torah. Sooner or later some wise rabbi is going to tell you that you can't keep using the Torah to justify your hatefulness towards others.

Look, if you want to be hateful and angry and live in the past and view everyone who doesn't see things your way as being part of an evil, conspiratorial collective, then knock yourself out. I get along with people whom you would hate, I'm happy, and you don't have any power over me. You choose to be a wrecking ball and I choose to be a builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or