U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 10:36 AM

568 posts, read 56,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No. Was FFB, but have been OTD Gerer for years.

If it's not too personal to ask... Any regrets?

Old 06-14-2019, 11:06 AM

8,799 posts, read 10,709,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
BBDad, TFF just wants attention. And, when you also respond to "chief scum," guess who you're really talking to?
I recall him as being much better than this when I was on here previously. Really trying to be a kiddish hashem.

Anyway, have a peaceful shabbos boys and girls.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:45 PM

27,957 posts, read 15,047,299 times
Quote:
BBDad, TFF just wants attention. And, when you also respond to "chief scum," guess who you're really talking to?
Who?...

Old 06-14-2019, 02:59 PM

12,023 posts, read 16,761,808 times
If you are so feeble willed that exposure to people who believe and think differently than you for a few years is so startling, then what basis of faith or belief do you really have at all? Hiding yourself from other points of view doesn't strengthen you or prepare you to be a functioning adult.

I was surrounded by lots of different opinions in college, ranging from different lifestyles, faiths, expressions of faith, expressions of gender, etc. Being exposed to those differences didn't change me, and discussing things like faith, politics, lifestyles, etc forced me to really examine *why* I believe what I believe. How is it a good thing to be frightened of that process?

Old 06-14-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
But aren’t the heavily Jewish populated schools (nearly 100% non Torah Observant students) the ones most likely to have BDS and anti Israel activity? And what benefit is there to an impressionable Observant Jew spending time with fellow Jews who are not Observant? Actually seems harmful, no? The idea that it’s ok to be Jewish and live a life bereft of intentional mitzvos?

Maybe they will overcome the weakness instilled in them by their parents/communities and become less impressionable? Note: that doesn't mean they will become less Torah Observant. But if they're *only* Torah Observant because they never knew there was anything else, what good is that?

Old 06-14-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
IS there "extreme hatred" of Jews on college campuses? Serious question. I've never heard of such a thing, but then again, I am not Jewish, and I didn't go to college.

I find that curious. I was at my daughter's university for an event, and in the hall where the event was held, this Torah was on display in a case.

https://www.albany.edu/judaic_studie...h-scroll.shtml

That doesn't seem to jibe with extreme hatred.

On the other hand, as I've mentioned here before, a few years ago I worked for a company in Borough Park, Brooklyn. The owner was Satmar, and he had graduated from Brooklyn Polytechnic (Now NYU Tandon School). He said that at first, when they had to team up for projects, nobody wanted to be on his team. Eventually, because of his remaining who he was and his academic abilities in the engineering program, others warmed to him and began to become interested in working with him.

As an outsider, it seemed to me that it was less about outright hatred toward Jews and more about the common belief that Jews by default don't like non-Jews.

It's oversimplified, but if Jews believe non-Jews hate them just because they are Jews, and non-Jews believe Jews hate them because they are not Jews, how does that get anyone anywhere?

At some schools, yes. Absolutely. There's been some particularly horrific things happening at UCBerkeley, for instance, where Jewish voices are shut out of conversations simply because they're Jewish: https://forward.com/fast-forward/423...-anti-zionist/

But it grinds my gears when because there are some students who have different views about the Middle East, it's automatically assumed to be a threat to be Jewish there. I went to Brandeis (a Jewish-founded university with - gasp - coed dorms and precious little drinking) and occasionally I see headlines about how Brandeis is antisemitic because the administration doesn't stop a small group of students from holding a die-in for Palestinians or because one student scrawls "Free Palestine" on an unlabeled graffiti box installation. They make me laugh out loud every single time, but I have relatives who forward them along to me in horror who believe the anti higher ed rhetoric hook, line, and sinker. Any threats students face there for being Jewish unfortunately come from the outside, not from within.

Antisemitism is on the rise on college campuses, absolutely. But it's incredibly important to me to look antisemitism in the face and not confuse it with disagreement or different views on the complex realities of multiple groups of people holding historical and contemporary claim on a very small piece of contested land.

Old 06-14-2019, 04:24 PM

11,175 posts, read 10,995,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
For one we are not descended from monkeys, but from common primate ancestors.

Also the monkey and other primates are wonderful complex creatures - believe in evolution or not, we thank Hashem for creating them.

Insulting ? Odd attitude for a frum Jew. see Pirkei Avot, chapter 3, verse 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
1. A common misunderstanding of the word "theory" (which BTW, is another reason studying science in college is helpful)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...science-words/

Part of the problem is that the word "theory" means something very different in lay language than it does in science: A scientific theory is an explanation of some aspect of the natural world that has been substantiated through repeated experiments or testing. But to the average Jane or Joe, a theory is just an idea that lives in someone's head, rather than an explanation rooted in experiment and testing.

2. As I am sure you are aware, there many ways to interpret the words of Torah. Orthodox Rabbis, including the elder Rabbi Kook, Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, and many others, have shown that the words of Bere**** can be reconciled with evolution.
The fact that you found it necessary to make these posts clearly shows why we found it appropriate to prohibit the discussion of science topics in the Religion and Spirituality forums. I used to think that everybody learned the basics of the science of evolution in high school biology class, but I have observed, right here on City-Data, that I was wrong inn that thinking.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The fact that you found it necessary to make these posts clearly shows why we found it appropriate to prohibit the discussion of science topics in the Religion and Spirituality forums. I used to think that everybody learned the basics of the science of evolution in high school biology class, but I have observed, right here on City-Data, that I was wrong inn that thinking.
Sad, isn't it? I just want to add a link to an outstanding website on science and Judaism...

https://www.judaismandscience.com/

...for the following reasons:

1. To show that Jews in general are not opposed to science (it's no secret that Jews are greatly over-represented among our Nobel Prize winners in the field of science).

2. For anyone here who would find the discussions at this site on science in relation to Judaism both interesting and beneficial.

3. And just because it's a cool site.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:52 PM

21,354 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Quote:
If it's not too personal to ask... Any regrets?
In relation to the topic of this thread, then no.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In relation to the topic of this thread, then no.

Succinctly and aptly put!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or