Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 02:24 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
So I should say how wonderful these college campuses are so that more Jews will send their kids there, just to make you feel better - be damned if they ruin our kids?

This thread was never about if the colleges are harmful or dangerous for Jews. It seems we mostly all agree they are. The real question is how much risk are you willing to assume for any perceived benefit. Most here think the benefits outweigh, and the risk isn’t all that bad. I feel the opposite (and quite alone in my view point). That’s a reason for you to quit this forum?

For a person whose criteria for evaluating educational institutions is that his children should "never have to sit in a classroom with a goy" (your words), you are not the sort of person I would seriously take college advice from. Or any other kind of advice, for that matter.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:19 PM

65 posts, read 25,317 times
Just mostly long term observation. . .Every time I endowed someone with too much pahzazz. They did not let me down. It was me, that let myself down.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:24 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
For a person whose criteria for evaluating educational institutions is that his children should "never have to sit in a classroom with a goy" (your words), you are not the sort of person I would seriously take college advice from. Or any other kind of advice, for that matter.
Mishlei - Proverbs - Chapter 22

6 Train a child according to his way; even when he grows old, he will not turn away from it.

HaShem does not know what He is talking about?...

Old 06-16-2019, 03:30 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,346 times
None of you live in the Torah world. You likely do not know there’s a crisis of kids going off the derech. It may only be 5% or less, but that’s a crisis. Every Jewish souls is precious. And let’s not pretend there’s a moral equivalence between living a life of Torah and mitzvos and living a mostly secular life. And the fact that you say what I’m saying is negativity? Nebach... go bury your heads back in the sand.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Mishlei - Proverbs - Chapter 22

6 Train a child according to his way; even when he grows old, he will not turn away from it.

HaShem does not know what He is talking about?...

If you go to college and you sit down next to a gentile, you're not necessarily going to catch cooties.

Old 06-16-2019, 03:43 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
If you go to college and you sit down next to a gentile, you're not necessarily going to catch cooties.

Those are your words. I’m more concerned they’ll show my kids how much fun an NFL football game is (where there are cheerleaders and other forbidden images, d’oirisa). I’m concerned they’ll say “come over after class for to watch the game (where there will be beer, members of the other sex and treif food). The kids are just kids. Your moral stories of raising them to resist is crap. Children are impressionable. All that stuff is enticing. How many times do I have to say its immoral and parental failure to put a stumbling block in front of a kid. And bTW, show me any of the gedolim who putter regular college. So you all know better than the gedolim what is proper for a G-d fearing Yid?

Old 06-16-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Those are your words. I’m more concerned they’ll show my kids how much fun an NFL football game is (where there are cheerleaders and other forbidden images, d’oirisa). I’m concerned they’ll say “come over after class for to watch the game (where there will be beer, members of the other sex and treif food). The kids are just kids. Your moral stories of raising them to resist is crap. Children are impressionable. All that stuff is enticing. How many times do I have to say its immoral and parental failure to put a stumbling block in front of a kid. And bTW, show me any of the gedolim who putter regular college. So you all know better than the gedolim what is proper for a G-d fearing Yid?

Then don't send your kids to college. Who's forcing you?

Old 06-16-2019, 03:51 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,732,266 times
Quote:
None of you live in the Torah world. You likely do not know there’s a crisis of kids going off the derech. It may only be 5% or less, but that’s a crisis. Every Jewish souls is precious. And let’s not pretend there’s a moral equivalence between living a life of Torah and mitzvos and living a mostly secular life. And the fact that you say what I’m saying is negativity? Nebach... go bury your heads back in the sand.

Look, we don't disagree with you about the message. I'm not saying that what you're preaching is negativity. I think you're being a negative person who is insistent on letting people know you're the frummest person here. We get that.

I come to this forum to learn, so I'm going to stay and learn since there are still plenty of people to learn from. I just would not try to learn humility from you, or learn how to be Torah Observant and still be a pleasant person. I don't know why you state that none of 'you' live in the Torah world, because there is at least one Rabbi here on the forum and he most likely knows more of the Torah world than anyone; he is just very modest. I can say that as a university professor, I've never once turned anyone away from their religion. I teach a trade that is honorable and which many frum people do for a living. I went to a secular university and the professors allowed me to always have the Sabbath off. Of course, I'm not frum and didn't mind sitting next to a goy. Either way, it's a moot point, because we'll never agree, and that's okay with me. Please permit me to suggest that if you feel compelled to deliver G-d's message, you consider the tone in which you're delivering it. Humility and Torah Observance are best served together.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:20 PM

619 posts, read 310,408 times
Quote:
I’m shocked I’m not receiving a thanks.
Don't be shocked. Lots of times I can't rep your posts because I've done it too recently, with no one else in between.

While we don't quite agree on everything, I appreciate many of your posts.

I did read someplace once that some alleged authority felt that he had found that the largest influence in the character of a child was the character of his "peer group" in childhood. Keeping in mind that among Jews, the fetus is not considered viable until it graduates medical school, this critical period certainly includes college.

As the Buddhists say, forewarned is forearmed.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:45 PM

65 posts, read 25,317 times
Quote:
Those are your words. I’m more concerned they’ll show my kids how much fun an NFL football game is (where there are cheerleaders and other forbidden images, d’oirisa).

How much fun is an NFL game with cheerleaders and those other forbidden images ? I hope your are not going to condemn my visits to the mall. They have a fountain where I like to sit while my wife shops. It's between Nordstrom and Victoria Secret. This is best seats in the house. But then I like to go to horse and dog shows too for basically the same reason.

Beautiful creatures all from 1 to 100 - And as a G-d fearing Yid. I am thankful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.