Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 04:26 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times

Advertisements

It's almost like experiencing a death in the family, to hear that Danny Levine is closing J. Levine Judaica and Books (on West 30th St). I've shopped there often, and Danny and his staff were always pleasant to chat with and helpful about finding me exactly what I was looking for. I'm really going to miss that store.

Read more at this link: https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com...-on-j-levines/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 04:51 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,285 times
That is a shame. I've bought several siddurim from him.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:58 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp-WhRgfxms

Old 05-31-2019, 05:13 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
That is sad but I assume one can buy that stuff online nowadays.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

Yes, that's one of the reasons why the store is closing. Still, I would see items in Levine's that I would never have thought to search for online. Like the Shpielman Family that I would use for setting up miniature scenes, take photos of, and make my own holiday greeting cards with the pictures.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:33 AM

Here's a link to a beautiful obituary I found for Seymour J. Levine, the father of Danny Levine:

https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com...med-bookstore/

What an amazing life he had, before retiring and moving to Jerusalem. This last bit I found especially touching:

Quote:
Two weeks after Mr. Levine died, a grandson, Hart Levine, was married. Mr. Levine’s 50-year-old tallit, freshly cleaned and brought from Jerusalem, was hung on the chupah, just beneath the canopy that covered the couple. “It felt,” said Danny Levine, “as if” the spirit of his father “was hovering over the wedding.”

Old 06-03-2019, 02:34 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

I think the combination of online availability of Judaica, plus Manhattan retail rents, accounts for this.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I think the combination of online availability of Judaica, plus Manhattan retail rents, accounts for this.

Plus the fact that younger generations aren't going into the family business the way their parents and grandparents did. That's pretty much what happened to NYC's Carnegie Deli. They owned the building they were in, so rent wasn't a problem. It was that the old folks retired and the kids weren't inclined to continue with the business.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:15 AM

151 posts, read 88,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Yes, that's one of the reasons why the store is closing. Still, I would see items in Levine's that I would never have thought to search for online. Like the Shpielman Family that I would use for setting up miniature scenes, take photos of, and make my own holiday greeting cards with the pictures.

I have a Shpielman family too!! (wish I could figure out how to do a picture). When we set the Shabbos table, they are the center piece.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
I have a Shpielman family too!! (wish I could figure out how to do a picture). When we set the Shabbos table, they are the center piece.
Aren't they fun? I've never tried them as a table centerpiece before, but maybe I will now!

If you set up a free account at Imgur.com, you'll be able to upload pictures from your computer to Imgur (which will host your pics for free). Then you'll be able to post your picture's Imgur link on the forum here, using the "insert image" function that you see when you do a posting.

There are privacy settings at Imgur, so that your pics will be private to anyone who goes to the site.

You can also crop, re-size, and add captions to your pics on Imgur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism