Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 07:29 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,941,988 times

Advertisements

Churchgoers Must Register With the Government in Kansas City:

https://lc.org/newsroom/details/2020...in-kansas-city

Doesn’t anyone learn from history?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 08:11 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Churchgoers Must Register With the Government in Kansas City:

https://lc.org/newsroom/details/2020...in-kansas-city

Doesn’t anyone learn from history?...
Yikes! That's exactly what the Nazis did prior to WW II, in order to more easily track down Jewish families.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Yikes! That's exactly what the Nazis did prior to WW II, in order to more easily track down Jewish families.
Yup, the article does allude to that...

Old 05-04-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yup, the article does allude to that...
I've been checking Snopes to see if there is more to this story. Especially since the website reporting this appears to be in protest against governmental COVID regulations.

Even so, I am NOT at all comfortable with any governmental agency requiring churches, synagogues, whatever to provide lists of their members to said agency.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I've been checking Snopes to see if there is more to this story. Especially since the website reporting this appears to be in protest against governmental COVID regulations.

Even so, I am NOT at all comfortable with any governmental agency requiring churches, synagogues, whatever to provide lists of their members to said agency.
Yea, well the government’s doing it backwards, Hittler brought Germany OUT of a depression, not put them into one, therefore, garnering following by the people...

Old 05-04-2020, 09:24 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,604,918 times
Eeek! I'm with Rachel, I'm not comfortable with any religious organization (or Atheist organization for that matter) turning over their members to the government. Unless there's a search warrant for probable cause of a crime.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:32 AM

19,149 posts, read 16,970,121 times
OP can you find a reference from a more mainstream sources? This is most likely a right leaning source, "Liberty Counsel is a 501c tax-exempt organization that promotes litigation related to evangelical Christian values". But it also goes on to say "The Southern Poverty Law Center has listed Liberty Counsel as an anti-LGBT hate group, a designation the group has disputed." Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Counsel

I see enough of these shock value posting in the CD politics section so I wonder if this being reported through a mainstream source?

Old 05-04-2020, 11:43 AM

I just went to the Kansas City Page and this is what they say:
Ref: https://www.kcmo.gov/city-hall/depar...esponse/reopen

"Are religious services, wedding, and funerals allowed?
Yes, after May 6, in-person religious gatherings (including weddings and funerals) may resume, subject to the 10/10/10 rule (if held inside) or limited to 50 people outside, provided social distancing precautions are followed and event organizers maintain records of all attendees."

It goes on to say:

"Why are you requiring certain businesses to record information about customers?
One of the primary means for transmission of COVID-19 is in-person interactions that last more than a few minutes. By recording customer names, businesses will enable the Kansas City Health Department to more quickly trace, test, and isolate individuals who may have been exposed to COVID-19 if an employee or customer had the virus at the time they frequented the business. All data obtained by the Department of Public Health will remain confidential and will be used only to address public health concerns and contact individuals who may have been exposed to COVID-19.

There only asking the event organizer of a house of worship to keep the information so if someone comes up sick they can quickly identify who has been exposed, that's all.

They are not collecting names but the shock value that the Christian Right publications choose to use helps drive the flock in the right direction....

Old 05-04-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
OP can you find a reference from a more mainstream sources? This is most likely a right leaning source, "Liberty Counsel is a 501c tax-exempt organization that promotes litigation related to evangelical Christian values". But it also goes on to say "The Southern Poverty Law Center has listed Liberty Counsel as an anti-LGBT hate group, a designation the group has disputed." Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Counsel

I see enough of these shock value posting in the CD politics section so I wonder if this being reported through a mainstream source?
That's what I was wondering, too, and why I was seeing whether it checks out with Snopes. Thanks for researching this further (in your second posting).

Old 05-04-2020, 11:49 AM

My pleasure I read this right wing garbage all the time in the CD Political pages, why people don't just check the valid source is beyond me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism