Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 11:36 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,835,139 times

Advertisements

One of my favorite books is Your Name Is Your Blessing, by Rabbi Benjamin Blech and Rebbetzin Elaine Blech. (Rabbi Blech is a professor of Talmud at Yeshiva University and an internationally recognized educator, religious leader, author, and lecturer. His wife, Elaine, shares his interest in Jewish scholarship.)

Here is a quote from the book that I found to be very interesting:

Quote:
There is a mystical tradition that teaches us that every person's name can be found in the Torah. Skeptics have long questioned this supposed doctrine by a superficial scanning of text. Indeed, hundreds of names seem to be missing. Yet, the tradition is sound, if we understand the deeper truth of gematria.

Every person has a biblical word linked to his or her name, because there is a word in the Torah that shares the name number total. That word is, in the most profound sense, the key to a person's name. It represents not simply what you are called, but your calling, your life's mission and purpose.
Of course, I looked up my Hebrew name of Rachel (which already appears in the Torah), and the corresponding word from the Torah that shares the same gematria value as my name is ויברך (meaning: "And He Blessed").

Has anyone else here ever heard of this particular tradition with names and gematria? I'd be interested in hearing more about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 03:41 PM

151 posts, read 87,046 times
So how do you figure out your numerical value and the corresponding word that equals that number?

Old 05-30-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
So how do you figure out your numerical value and the corresponding word that equals that number?

Well, if you're not lucky enough to already have your Hebrew name included in the book, you have to add up the numerical values of the letters in your name to get your name's number. Unfortunately, your name wasn't in the book, Shalhevet. But adding up the letters of your name (every Hebrew letter stands for a number) we get: 300 (Shin) + 30 (Lamed) + 5 (He) + 2 (Bet) + 400 (Tav) = 737

So, I suppose that 737 is a number of significance for you.

EDIT: Oh, I found your name in the Bible! It's in the Book of the prophet Yechezkel (21:3)
Here's the link: https://www.chabad.org/library/bible...pter-21.htm#v3

You are the flame that G-d has kindled.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 05-30-2019 at 06:01 PM..

Old 05-30-2019, 07:08 PM

919 posts, read 842,715 times
Does this only apply to Jewish names so Shanniqua is SOL?

How does 737 translate to Yechezkel (21:3) ? If gematria reduces all names to some number between say 1...1000 then I am sure any book with 1000 verses will work, not just the Torah.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Does this only apply to Jewish names so Shanniqua is SOL?

Any name that can be transliterated into Hebrew letters can have a numerical value in gematria. For instance, "Shanniqua" is spelled in Hebrew as: שאניקה

300 (Shin) + 1 (Alef) + 50 (Nun) + 10 (Yod) + 100 (Qof) + 5 (He) = 466

466 is the number for Shanniqua.

Quote:
How does 737 translate to Yechezkel (21:3) ?
It doesn't. I didn't use gematria to find Shalhevet's name in the Bible. I used a Hebrew concordance.

Quote:
If gematria reduces all names to some number between say 1...1000 then I am sure any book with 1000 verses will work, not just the Torah.
Well, the Book of Yechezkel is one of the books of the Prophets, and isn't one of the five books of the Torah. So I guess one can apply gematria to any biblical book. I'm not any kind of expert on gematria -- I'm just doing this out of curiosity. I already knew the numerical values of the Hebrew letters, because we use Hebrew letters in place of Arabic numerals for writing dates, numbering things like biblical verses, etc.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:15 PM

So, getting back to gematria and Hebrew names... I thought it would be fun to find the gematrical Jewish name equivalents for people's screen-names here. I chose member Charolastra for the experiment.

Step 1: I went to https://stevemorse.org/hebrew/eng2heb.html to transliterate "Charolastra" into Hebrew letters. I got three different Hebrew spellings for the name, but chose this one: חרולשטרה

Step 2: I then added up the gematria value of all the Hebrew letters in the name, and arrived at: 850

Step 3: I went to All Hebrew Names - Hebrew Names & Meanings | Hebrew Boy & Girl Names | Baby Names and found a Hebrew name with the gematria value of 850: Tchelet תְּכֵלֶת

Step 4: On the same site, I looked up the meaning of the name Tchelet:

English Name: Tchelet or Techelet
Hebrew Name: תְּכֵלֶת
Meaning: Azure, light blue, the color of the sky. The color is a mix of blue and white colors and is associated with tranquility. The color of techelet was one of the colors used in the Mishkan (https://www.myjewishlearning.com/art...he-tabernacle/), as described in Shemot [the Book of Exodus].

Who else wants to know their gematrical Hebrew screen-name?

Old 07-17-2019, 11:48 AM

Hi, Miss Hepburn! As discussed in DM, here is a Hebrew name and description of you, which each equal the gematria number of 456 found in the Hebrew transliteration of your screen-name "Miss Hepburn" (מיס הפבורן):

A corresponding Hebrew name for you (that adds up to the number 456) is Te'ena (תאנה), which means "fig tree" and is a symbol of peace.

A corresponding Hebrew descriptive phrase for you (that adds up to the number 456) is: Nekhmad k'mo perakh (נחמד כמו פרח), which means "Pretty as a flower."

Old 07-17-2019, 08:37 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,575,912 times
Hebrew Numerology

https://www.jerusalem-insiders-guide...umerology.html

Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 PM

22,747 posts, read 10,204,915 times
I truly believe that a person can have no other name, but not only that, the names of their parents and grandparents were name accordingly, and if they have siblings, the siblings or the only child will tell a story.

Whoever you are, it is no koinkadink in my eyes, even the decades old pictures have reason, but then, I am Hannibal, and I believe that what is, it was meant to be.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,189,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
... your screen-name "Miss Hepburn" (מיס הפבורן):
...means "fig tree" and is a symbol of peace.
A corresponding Hebrew descriptive phrase... means "Pretty as a flower."
Thank you, my dear.

Did you hear that Hannie...Pretty as a fig...still want me to stop into Texas?
PS I used to love walking in the San Antonio picking the figs off the bushes...I love TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism