U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:38 PM

3,962 posts, read 3,344,225 times

Advertisements

Pretty easy to see when Hashem puts something beautiful in your life. Much tougher for many to accept that Hashem also 100% sends us the “bad” things that happen in our lives. And that in fact, there actually isn’t anything bad. It’s all hashgacha pratis- divine providence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 05:49 PM

56 posts, read 7,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Pretty easy to see when Hashem puts something beautiful in your life. Much tougher for many to accept that Hashem also 100% sends us the “bad” things that happen in our lives. And that in fact, there actually isn’t anything bad. It’s all hashgacha pratis- divine providence.
I am curious if you think that applies to a parent that accidentally backs over their child in a driveway, and results in death. I have about 10,000 more examples.

You have to admit that is a pretty bold statement you made.

Last edited by Jacob II; 06-19-2019 at 06:02 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 06:41 PM

587 posts, read 59,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
I am curious if you think that applies to a parent that accidentally backs over their child in a driveway, and results in death. I have about 10,000 more examples.

You have to admit that is a pretty bold statement you made.

Hi, Jacob. I know you didn't ask me, but I'm going to respond to your question, if you don't mind.

Yes, I do believe that HaShem sends us the bad along with the good. I can only try to fathom His reasons, but I would certainly never think to try to "comfort" a parent who had just lost his/her child by saying something like: "It's all in G-d's plan" or "There actually isn't anything bad."

Of COURSE there are bad things that happen to people – what could be more horrific than losing your child in such a way? Think of the guilt that parent will suffer for the rest of his/her life. But I'm sure you already know this.

To fail to acknowledge the horror of such a situation is to show an appalling lack of compassion and empathy. And I don't think that is what HaShem wants of us. I also don't think that HaShem wants us to passively accept such a situation. Maybe, instead, HaShem wants us to feel moved to do something positive.

I'm not even certain that's the reason behind why such bad things happen in the world, and I don't want to try to second-guess HaShem. But I do believe that, when faced with the suffering of others, if we don't respond with compassion, kindness, and empathy, we will not be the people that HaShem wants us to be.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-19-2019 at 06:50 PM..

Old 06-19-2019, 06:55 PM

Well I respectfully disagree. . . Mankind was given freewill. That means that man can reflect the opposite nature, and will of G-d. A child that is kidnapped, sadistically raped and murdered, and discarded like a piece of garbage is the will of a person that is absent of Hashem. G-d has no presence in these instances.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
Well I respectfully disagree. . . Mankind was given freewill. That means that man can reflect the opposite nature, and will of G-d. A child that is kidnapped, sadistically raped and murdered, and discarded like a piece of garbage is the will of a person that is absent of Hashem. G-d has no presence in these instances.

You make a good point there. People do evil things and then they try to blame it on G-d or the devil. But then there are those who ask: "Why does G-d allow such things to happen?" What's your take on that?

Old 06-19-2019, 07:33 PM

Bad things like accidental deaths happen all the time. That's mostly attributed to physics via carelessness. In the case of child accidental deaths. It's something like an astrophysical one in a million chance. It does not happen often, but it does happen. It's an outside the realm of our control, also known as chaos. It's near impossible to foresee it, or have control over it.

It's not so much that G-d is allowing it happen. G-d does not change the natural physical predisposition of gravity. That is not to say that miracles don't happen. They do happen, and they happen frequently. But there are rules within the universe. Miracles happen within the framework of the rules, and they always seem to happen in hindsight. Most of the time our awareness is limited in the observation. We have to be paying very close attention. Our conscience has to be redirected to a specific enlightened level of thought. One must have an open mind to G-d. I just mention that G-d is not a feeling, we actually must will the idea into our mind, and from there we grow within it.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:36 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,433,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Have you ever had something especially wonderful in your life come to you unexpectedly, that you are convinced was a special gift from HaShem/G-d?

Do you believe that HaShem chooses to give us extraordinary gifts from time to time? If you do believe this, then do you have a personal experience regarding this? If you don't believe this, I'd like to hear about that, too.

I'm asking this, because I think that I've recently had such an experience, and I'm curious as to what others think on the subject.

Yes. There was a time I didn't believe in G-d at all. One night I drove into a beautiful sunset, and a voice came into my mind saying, "I made all of this for you. And still, you don't believe in Me?" It occurred to me that we overlook daily beauty and hang onto our non-belief at times.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Yes. There was a time I didn't believe in G-d at all. One night I drove into a beautiful sunset, and a voice came into my mind saying, "I made all of this for you. And still, you don't believe in Me?" It occurred to me that we overlook daily beauty and hang onto our non-belief at times.

Thanks, Chana! I also once struggled to believe in G-d. I appreciate a beautiful sunset, too, and I agree it's a great reason to believe in G-d's goodness. I also think that one of the most compelling reasons to believe in G-d is because of our sense of what is beautiful. Where does that sense come from, if not from G-d? Without that sense of what is beautiful, how could we even appreciate a sunset?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:52 PM

1,136 posts, read 1,433,438 times
Exactly. We also tend to overlook beauty every day in favor of small complaints about everything. What we need to know about the world and the world to come is right in front of us.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:43 PM

81 posts, read 14,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Exactly. We also tend to overlook beauty every day in favor of small complaints about everything. What we need to know about the world and the world to come is right in front of us.
This is a beautiful thought. Thank you for sharing it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism