U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 06:28 PM

594 posts, read 60,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Testify in this context? You may be in the wrong forum.

Maybe a little light reading is needed:

A Deeper Look: The Words of Kaddish and their Meaning

Am I misreading this? Isn't "to testify" to "bear witness" to some truth, or to publicly make known what one believes to be true? And isn't this exactly what we are acknowledging in regard to HaShem, when we recite the Mourner's Kaddish? The dearly departed isn't the focus of the prayer -- it's our testifying to the greatness of G-d that is the focus -- correct?

This (it seems to me) is why we stand for the Kaddish.

Great link, btw. This, especially, resonates with me:

Quote:
May there be abundant peace… He Who makes peace in His heights… Peace is the ideal context for a full, rich, fruitful life. Tragically, peace can be exceptionally elusive. We pray that G-d bless us and the Jewish people with peace. As individuals and a nation we can then fulfill our highest potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 06:50 AM

27,989 posts, read 15,066,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Am I misreading this? Isn't "to testify" to "bear witness" to some truth, or to publicly make known what one believes to be true? And isn't this exactly what we are acknowledging in regard to HaShem, when we recite the Mourner's Kaddish? The dearly departed isn't the focus of the prayer -- it's our testifying to the greatness of G-d that is the focus -- correct?

Isnít standing a sign of Judgement?...Should we not how before HaShem?...

Old 07-05-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Isnít standing a sign of Judgement?...Should we not how before HaShem?...

In my congregation, we give a slight bow in certain prayers at the point where we recite the words: Baruch ata Adonai.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:34 AM

56 posts, read 7,251 times
The Synagogue I usually attend we stand. But I attend all manner of Synagogues, and some sit during Kaddish.

I love reciting it, and sometimes I am sitting, even completely laying down at times. Passing by a cemetery, seeing a dead animal on the road, and even at bedtime thinking about loved ones. I just love to pray.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:46 PM

3,964 posts, read 3,345,152 times
Quote:
In my congregation, we give a slight bow in certain prayers at the point where we recite the words: Baruch ata Adonai.
You should be very careful not to bow when you say Hashemís name. The Shulchan Aruch is abundantly clear never to still be engaged in a box when saying His name. Hereís the formula (and itís only done 3 times in shemona wars, assuming your temple says the entire refills):

Baruch - Bend at the knees and lower your torso
Atta - look up then move your body back to erect
Hashem - you should already be fully erect before saying Hashemís name.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:54 PM

3,392 posts, read 657,869 times
Tonight I go to shul and stand for for the first time as a mourner. Up until now, it has been shiva at home. It never occurred to me not to rise.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Tonight I go to shul and stand for for the first time as a mourner. Up until now, it has been shiva at home. It never occurred to me not to rise.

Rachel, may HaShem comfort you among the mourners of Tzion and Yerushalayim.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:04 PM

3,392 posts, read 657,869 times
Quote:
Rachel, may HaShem comfort you among the mourners of Tzion and Yerushalayim.
Todah. If it's OK, I'd like to PM you after Shabbos and tell you what happened. (Don't want to hijack the thread.)

Old 07-05-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Todah. If it's OK, I'd like to PM you after Shabbos and tell you what happened. (Don't want to hijack the thread.)

Of course it's OK.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:07 PM

8,815 posts, read 10,717,818 times
Quote:

Seems to me this could apply to almost any tfillah. Following this we would have to stand for almost the entire service, including not just kaddish and amidah and other places we traditionally stand.

So this can't be the rationale for standing for kaddish, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism