U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:08 AM

626 posts, read 64,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Also, if you're flying Elal, don't be surprised if there are several people trying to change seats before the flight takes off. The Hasidim start a game of musical chairs because they don't want to sit next to unknown women. The flight attendants try to accommodate them so they may ask you or your family members if they're willing to switch seats. Just insist "no".

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-flight...ry?id=47617313

I once flew El Al from New York to London. While I wasn't asked to switch my seat, I do remember the Hasidim gathering at the rear of the plane to pray during the flight. I don't think I would have a problem switching my seat if asked and I was traveling alone (as that woman appeared to be) and it didn't really matter to me where I sat. I certainly wouldn't make a legal case of it as that woman did in the linked story you posted. She was offered a comparable alternate seat and she accepted it – no one forced her to move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 09:36 AM

1,397 posts, read 499,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Also, if you're flying Elal, don't be surprised if there are several people trying to change seats before the flight takes off. The Hasidim start a game of musical chairs because they don't want to sit next to unknown women. The flight attendants try to accommodate them so they may ask you or your family members if they're willing to switch seats. Just insist "no".

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-flight...ry?id=47617313
the two times I changed my seat on an El Al flight were because

1) a teenager on a tour wanted to sit next to a particular other teenager
2) a religious woman wanted not to sit next to a man

I have never been asked to move by a religious man. True fact.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:47 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,435,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Are you going on a Mission Trip? (just kidding! -- I'm still laughing over what that girl asked you.)

I'm also sooooo envious of you! Please take lots of pictures for us!

This made me chortle and laugh out loud when I saw it.

Shal, have fun on your trip!

Old 07-04-2019, 04:00 PM

86 posts, read 15,842 times
Everyone, thank you for all the help!! I appreciate it more than you know.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:53 PM

626 posts, read 64,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
the two times I changed my seat on an El Al flight were because

1) a teenager on a tour wanted to sit next to a particular other teenager
2) a religious woman wanted not to sit next to a man

I have never been asked to move by a religious man. True fact.

LOL!

Besides making me laugh, I especially like your gentle illustration of why giving up one's seat on an airplane can be viewed as a personal act of kindness – and not necessarily as capitulation to discriminatory treatment.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:44 AM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

Contact your cellular carrier and see if they have an vacation international plan that is month to month (I use Verizon so I know they do).
If the OP has T-Mobile, one can get free text messaging/SMS while in Israel and 2G Internet service as well 20 cents (US) per minutes for calls.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:50 PM

14,900 posts, read 5,002,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
When the males take the walkway to the Kotel wall they will be approached by Orthodox males offering to make prayers for them. Ignore them or say "No Thank You" as they hit up tourists for large donations for doing so without doing any real prayer.

If you go to the dead sea and want to go in, no one should shave anything for at least two days beforehand (wear water shoes - really inexpensive as Walmart). Walking sneakers should be made of the material that breaths and not solid leather. Whatever sunscreen you use, use a few levels stronger.

I can't tell you anything about the hotels as I own an apartment and have my own vehicle when I go to Israel.

Contact your cellular carrier and see if they have an vacation international plan that is month to month (I use Verizon so I know they do). For whichever credit cards you're taking with with contact them so they know and won't flag your card.
Jealous of all you guys, no, really.

I keep wanting to call you,'' Fooze.''

Old 07-12-2019, 12:08 PM

12,060 posts, read 16,799,475 times
Just on practicalities, bring big refillable water bottles and drink a lot, wear hats (even if you're not a hat person - it helps the heat!), and remember to slather on that sunscreen. As Pruz said, don't shave anything in the few days leading up to the Dead Sea. That's a kind of pain not for the weak of heart! I had a bit of a tumble a few days before we went that landed me in a hospital, so it's my great regret that I was unable to do more than dip a toe in without fear of really causing some problems. Raw skin + salt = lots of yelling. I could tell who among us have shaved their legs or bikini lines the day of the trip.

The Dead Sea is shrinking dramatically, so it's worth going to see while you still can.

In Jerusalem, make sure to go to Yad Vashem (an all day, heavy thing - don't make plans after because you may need time to process), Mt. Hertz (better with a guided tour), the Israel Museum, and give yourself plenty of time to walk around the Old City. My Birthright trip (with an urban/arts focus) was right in the middle of Operation Protective Edge, so we lost our days in Tel Aviv, Jaffa and Sderot in exchange for more time in Jerusalem. Just walking around is a lovely experience. In the Old City, there's a shop called Hadaya that makes custom engraved jewelry and mails it to your home. It's very common for young women to get a new piece every time they visit Israel. If you have a daughter, that could be something meaningful to do with her!

Outside of Jerusalem, I'd put a bit of focus on Tzfat (gorgeous, and amazing art galleries) and Haifa, which I think are both overlooked a bit compared to Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:08 AM

32,140 posts, read 33,051,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Outside of Jerusalem, I'd put a bit of focus on Tzfat (gorgeous, and amazing art galleries) and Haifa, which I think are both overlooked a bit compared to Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
I think Beersheva and Southern Israel are also overlooked by tourists. Thursday is the best day to be in Beersheva with its morning Bedouin market. Also the small Negev Museum of Art in the old/downtown part of the city and the few other older buildings there are of historical interest. For newer architecture check out the main campus of the Ben Gurion University which has developed quite nicely over the years. Beersheva is also the jumping off point to go to Sde Boker (where Israel's first prime minister David Ben Gurion lived and is buried) as well as to go to Mitzpe Ramon with the great view of the crater there.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

2,474 posts, read 2,110,741 times
Have a wonderful time.
I have been there 6 times but most recent was actually almost 10 years ago.
Perfect.
And I really think Haifa is worth getting to. Beersheva Masada Dead Sea (and Mitzpeh Ramon if time allows. so much to see and do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or