Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:45 PM

151 posts, read 88,240 times

Advertisements

We're going to be in Jerusalem for 12 days. We have what I think is a nice hotel, about 15 minutes from the Kotel and 2 minutes from the souk. It's an apartment, so we'll have access to laundry and wi fi. We have a couple of tour planned plus some plans to knock around on our own. It will be my me, my husband, and my kids 17, 15 and 12. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions for us a first timers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 05:23 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,264,415 times
We stayed at Windows of Jerusalem and had a blast. You can spend all 12 days in J'lem, just walking. Or, you can schedule tours (or rent a car) and drive to the big tourist places. Masada is nice but HOT. Ein Gedi is also beautiful. You could take a bus to TA and visit it. Museums, national monuments, religious sites. I'm jealous.

Walk down Ben Yehuda and on the right side, you will see Moshikos. Get a falafel there. Yum.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:26 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Are you going on a Mission Trip? (just kidding! -- I'm still laughing over what that girl asked you.)

I'm also sooooo envious of you! Please take lots of pictures for us!

Old 07-03-2019, 07:31 AM

151 posts, read 88,240 times
Rosends, that's where we will be staying as well! This is my first trip out of the US (not counting Canada and Mexico, way back when you could go with a drivers license) and I'm so excited, but nervous as well.

Rachel, if you're ok with it, send me an email (even if it's a throw away one). We got a go pro and will be experimenting with You Tube videos (private channel) as a way to keep up with everyone!

Old 07-03-2019, 09:55 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Have a great time!
My 15 year old just came back from 17 glorious days with a teen group.
Bring comfortable walking shoes, bring a shawl for visiting holy sites and areas. Definitely go to the Kotel for Shabbat. Take advantage of the tours. Bring lots of spending money.
Enjoy that hotel breakfast buffet!
Live in the moment and enjoy every spiritual, cultural,
Moment.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:58 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Oops nevermind the hotel breakfast buffets.
I googled where you will be staying....that is a beautiful place!!!

Old 07-03-2019, 03:39 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
When the males take the walkway to the Kotel wall they will be approached by Orthodox males offering to make prayers for them. Ignore them or say "No Thank You" as they hit up tourists for large donations for doing so without doing any real prayer.

If you go to the dead sea and want to go in, no one should shave anything for at least two days beforehand (wear water shoes - really inexpensive as Walmart). Walking sneakers should be made of the material that breaths and not solid leather. Whatever sunscreen you use, use a few levels stronger.

I can't tell you anything about the hotels as I own an apartment and have my own vehicle when I go to Israel.

Contact your cellular carrier and see if they have an vacation international plan that is month to month (I use Verizon so I know they do). For whichever credit cards you're taking with with contact them so they know and won't flag your card.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:47 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,874,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Contact your cellular carrier and see if they have an vacation international plan that is month to month (I use Verizon so I know they do). For whichever credit cards you're taking with with contact them so they know and won't flag your card.

Good advice for traveling anywhere abroad. Also, Shalhevet, let your bank know when and where you'll be, so you won't have a problem using an ATM to withdraw cash.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:17 PM

245 posts, read 311,233 times
I've been to Israel 3 times.

For me the magic of Israel is the clash of the ancient with the modern. When walking through Jerusalem and Tel Aviv take the time to absorb the atmosphere. Don't just rush from site to site.

Just ballparking here but you will probably want to spend half those days in Jerusalem and the other half making day trips out to other areas.

Jerusalem Sites:
-The Old City, Including the Western Wall and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.
-The Mount of Olives/Garden of Gethsemane
-Yad Vashem
-Mt. Herzl
-Israel Museum
-Bible Lands Museum
-Shrine of the Book (Dead Sea Scrolls)

Day Trips:
-Masada
-Swim in the Dead Sea
-Mount Bental (Golan Heights)
-Tel Aviv. Go to the beach and just spend time walking around the nearby city areas like Sarona
-Old Jaffa
-Haifa. The Bahai Gardens are most famous, but there is also Elijah's Cave. The city is beautiful to see
-Latrun Tank Museum
-Tiberius (Sea of Galilee/Lake Kinneret)You can also swim here.

If you still have time:
-Caesarea
-The Convoy Skeletons (Watch "Cast a Giant Shadow" (1966) to appreciate it)
-Ein Karem

Most Israelis can speak English somewhat. And people in anyway involved in tourism like store workers, taxi drivers, or hotel workers can generally speak it pretty well. Also, we usually used shekels, but most people you will encounter in tourist spots are just as happy to take dollars.

Dress "modest" if going to any religious sites. Be aware of different religious customs. I wore my baseball cap to the Western Wall, but when I walked over to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre I got yelled at by some guy to take it off inside a church. A totally opposite custom.

I would suggest sticking with the crowds when walking through the Old City. It's really easy to get lost in there like a maze. Try to negotiate the prices of anything you buy in those shops.

You are going at a busy time so there will probably be crowds and Israeli culture is very hustle-bustle like New York.

I would advise against going to the West Bank your first time.

Last edited by slapshotbob99; 07-03-2019 at 11:31 PM..

Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 PM

245 posts, read 311,233 times
Also, if you're flying Elal, don't be surprised if there are several people trying to change seats before the flight takes off. The Hasidim start a game of musical chairs because they don't want to sit next to unknown women. The flight attendants try to accommodate them so they may ask you or your family members if they're willing to switch seats. Just insist "no".

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-flight...ry?id=47617313
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism