U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 04:13 AM

554 posts, read 52,589 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever encountered a Jewish woman with the name of Yochana? The reason I ask is because I have never encountered a Jewish Yochana, despite the fact that various websites list this as a Hebrew name (a feminine adaptation of Yochanan).

The nearest I can figure out for the popularity of the English name "Joanna/Joanne" (derived from a Latin version of the masculine Hebrew name Yochanan) is due to the fact that the name was popular in Christianity on account of John the Baptist and John of the Gospels. And then someone must have decided that "Yochana" would make a good "Hebrew name" equivalent for Joanne.

So, your opinion? Is Yochana originally a Jewish or Christian name? I do know that there is supposed to be a Johanna named in the Christian New Testament, but I don't know whether she was originally Jewish or Gentile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 06:37 AM

27,952 posts, read 15,035,923 times
While looking that up I found a site that gave five different Hebrew names for ‘Richard’...

Gavriel
Gur
Guri
Guriel
Katriel

I was told that it was Reuven...

https://my-hebrew-name.com/names.cgi...er=m&x=54&y=17

Old 07-05-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
While looking that up I found a site that gave five different Hebrew names for ‘Richard’...

Gavriel
Gur
Guri
Guriel
Katriel

I was told that it was Reuven...

https://my-hebrew-name.com/names.cgi...er=m&x=54&y=17

There are different ways of finding a Hebrew equivalent name for one's English (or secular) name. Some people try to find a Hebrew name with roughly the same meaning as their English/secular name (as in the examples you gave above).

Another way is to take a Hebrew name that starts with the same first letter as your secular name. That might be why somebody told you that "Reuven" would be your Hebrew name, Richard. Personally, I would have suggested the Hebrew name "Rachamim" for you, because it not only starts with an "R" but it also has a "ch" in it, same as "Richard." (Although the "ch" is pronounced differently, of course.)

Finally, another way is to take a Hebrew name that shares the same gematria number as your secular name.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:55 AM

52 posts, read 6,201 times
Since reading this thread I have that word ' Yochana ' stuck in my head. I can see a nickname of ' Yo Yo ' It's an exceptionally pretty name.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
Since reading this thread I have that word ' Yochana ' stuck in my head. I can see a nickname of ' Yo Yo ' It's an exceptionally pretty name.

Yocheved is a far more popular Hebrew feminine name that I know of, and "Yochi" and "Chevy" are popular nicknames for Yocheved. I've never heard of "Yo Yo," but it sounds cute.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:00 PM

3,939 posts, read 3,337,100 times
I probably know 3 or 4 Yochana’s. It’s a fairly common name in the Ashkenazi klal.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I probably know 3 or 4 Yochana’s. It’s a fairly common name in the Ashkenazi klal.

Thanks! It doesn't appear to be used at all among the Lubavitchers, and I've been researching Lubavitch names in Crown Heights through birth and engagement announcements. Probably just a Lubavitch thing -- like the name name "Mushka" is extremely popular among Lubavitchers, the name "Yoel" is popular among the Satmar Hasidim, and the name "Nachman" is very popular among the Breslov.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:23 PM

14,765 posts, read 4,958,159 times
My oldest sister,'' Joanne.'' A female form of John
My youngest Sister,'' Jaqualine.'' A female form of Jacob

I am ,'' Joel.

My father is ,'' J.O.''
My Mother is ,'' Ann

My father is named with an initial name,'' J.O.'' This is because all my grandfathers were named Joseph Oliver Weaver, and it was used for so many generation that my Grandfather didn't like it but he still held with the tradition.

Jo, and Ann having Joanne, Jackie, and Joel, kinda fits.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:30 PM

Being a weaver and just how symbolic a weaver is, I feel like I have been handed down something magical that only Weavers knew lol.

Of course I didn't inherit any family secret about weaving, but I did inherit something.

Why is weaving so symbolic? Because one would go through the layers of the veil over the Tabernacle going from animals to the closest veil to the ark,'' A fine woven work of lenin.''

There absolutely were families that carried certain secrets from working in the business of the Tabernacle. There were whole families given to a certain science like making certain incenses, and others who collected the colors of the veil and such. That would be so cool to come from a family appointed for a certain function of the Tabernacle, especially if your name was derived from what your family actually did, like in my case, we were weavers, and so that is our name.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Has anyone here ever encountered a Jewish woman with the name of Yochana? The reason I ask is because I have never encountered a Jewish Yochana, despite the fact that various websites list this as a Hebrew name (a feminine adaptation of Yochanan).

The nearest I can figure out for the popularity of the English name "Joanna/Joanne" (derived from a Latin version of the masculine Hebrew name Yochanan) is due to the fact that the name was popular in Christianity on account of John the Baptist and John of the Gospels. And then someone must have decided that "Yochana" would make a good "Hebrew name" equivalent for Joanne.

So, your opinion? Is Yochana originally a Jewish or Christian name? I do know that there is supposed to be a Johanna named in the Christian New Testament, but I don't know whether she was originally Jewish or Gentile.
You sound just like me with your interest in names, I have probably made a couple threads of names because I have been so obsessed with the subject in the past, so interested that I would study names all day for months and months and months. Whoever you are, you were meant to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or