U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Camberville
12,028 posts, read 16,765,337 times
Reputation: 19738

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And if your doctor recommends you do something contrary to Halacha? (Assuming not life threatening). Iím starting to see a theme here - many non frum Jews think doctors are of higher esteem and capability to know Hashemís will than rabbis. Maybe it has something to do with the rabbis you know?

Maybe it has to do with my rabbis knowing that I survived stage IV cancer and live with complications related to the illness and treatment that are beyond even most non-specialist medical professional's capacity? G-d wouldn't have given us scientific inquiry or medical advances if He didn't want us to use them.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM
 
577 posts, read 57,385 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Maybe it has to do with my rabbis knowing that I survived stage IV cancer and live with complications related to the illness and treatment that are beyond even most non-specialist medical professional's capacity? G-d wouldn't have given us scientific inquiry or medical advances if He didn't want us to use them.

Stage IV cancer is terrifying -- more often than not it's a painful death sentence. Congratulations to you, Charolastra, on having survived it. I can't even begin to imagine the health challenges that you must continue to face on account of it.

I doubt there will be an apology to you for the hurtful attitude in this topic that moved you to speak about your cancer. Please at least know that there are MANY others here who care.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
 
Location: US
27,960 posts, read 15,050,737 times
Reputation: 1736
TFF, don’t make this forum a ghost town like before...I enjoy the interactions with fellow Jews...We all learn something from each other...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Camberville
12,028 posts, read 16,765,337 times
Reputation: 19738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Stage IV cancer is terrifying -- more often than not it's a painful death sentence. Congratulations to you, Charolastra, on having survived it. I can't even begin to imagine the health challenges that you must continue to face on account of it.

I doubt there will be an apology to you for the hurtful attitude in this topic that moved you to speak about your cancer. Please at least know that there are MANY others here who care.

Oh, it's fine. I speak about it all the time. G-d gave me a mouth and an effusive vocabulary, so even if my lungs have functioned like an 80 year old chain smoker since chemo at the ripe old age of 23, I'm going to use my voice. In doing so, it's apparent who has the ability to handle crises of the body and who doesn't. I wouldn't trade my point of view for tff's in a million years.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
 
577 posts, read 57,385 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Oh, it's fine. I speak about it all the time. G-d gave me a mouth and an effusive vocabulary, so even if my lungs have functioned like an 80 year old chain smoker since chemo at the ripe old age of 23, I'm going to use my voice. In doing so, it's apparent who has the ability to handle crises of the body and who doesn't. I wouldn't trade my point of view for tff's in a million years.

I admire your strength and overall awesomeness!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
 
397 posts, read 122,756 times
Reputation: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
TFF, donít make this forum a ghost town like before...I enjoy the interactions with fellow Jews...We all learn something from each other...
Not sure I understand this. How did TFF make this forum a ghost town? Did he stop posting? Or did other people stop posting, because they couldn't tolerate an orthodox POV?

Occasionally, TFF will post something that I disagree with, even strongly, but I'm not sure that I have seen him post anything that doesn't have some support in the orthodox Jewish world. Can't say as much for most other posters, with Rosends being an obvious exception. Regardless, I don't accuse others with whom I disagree of making the C-D Judaism forum a ghost town.

Color me egocentric, but I expect the same courtesy from others. I know that I am not going to get it, and neither will TFF, but I know that it is right, and so do most of you.

Last edited by ben Shunamit; Yesterday at 02:37 PM.. Reason: typo
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
 
577 posts, read 57,385 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Or did other people stop posting, because they couldn't tolerate an orthodox POV?
I know a LOT of Orthodox Jews (mostly Lubavitcher) and I have NEVER seen the constant haranguing that I've seen from one person in particular on this forum, whom you seem to think is presenting "an orthodox POV."

Let me tell you something – that is not an Orthodox POV. That is an excuse to abuse others in order to make oneself feel superior. It is immoral behavior, and no rabbi that I know of – Orthodox or other – would say that this is an any way "okay."

I've noticed that the Forum Rules posted in the main Religion & Spirituality forum include this under "Offenses that will get the Moderators to take action":

3. Accusing another member of being inadequately religious.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/36093973-post2.html

I know that the Mods here have pretty much taken a "hand's-off" approach in regard to this, which is understandable because they aren't Jewish and there may be an uncertainty on their part as to what is or is not acceptable in a Jewish online community. Well I am Jewish, and I say that accusing another Jew of being inadequately religious on this forum in such a manner as I am talking about here, is unacceptable.

Judaism is not a monolithic religion. We have different branches of Judaism and different hashkafos. Not a single Jew on this forum deserves to be marginalized by anyone else who does not agree with the way that Jew's particular religious community observes Torah.

I am going to continue to speak out on this. You are not going to shut me up. I hope that others who have also had enough and who agree with me will also speak up from now on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
 
10,538 posts, read 15,593,251 times
Reputation: 11846
It was very interesting read.
A hypothetical situation then.
Lord forbid, but you ended on an island that has no rabbi or temple. Has some tribe leaving there, way far far away from anything remotely similar to your faith. Of course, no internet. No cell phone connection. You are back to your true self and humans, different from you religiously and culturally.

Does that actually mean that you absolutely lost your moral compass as there is no one to go and ask what to do?

I was totally surprised to read through posts of apparently grown up men and women, who appear to be absolutely reliant on someone else's opinion. It was sort of scary, really. I didn't expect such level of infantility.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
 
397 posts, read 122,756 times
Reputation: 518
I have not seen constant haranguing from TFF. I'm not sure I've seen even occasional haranguing from him. He expresses his opinion, and implicitly or explicitly represents it as orthodox. Others are free to express their opinions, often almost diametrically opposed to TFF's.

That's all OK. What is NOT OK is singling TFF out as being the only person on this forum who thinks his own opinion is right. Virtually everyone here thinks his or her own opinion is the right one. Many are wrong, but that's OK.

I recommend that you NOT continue to speak out against TFF. Argue the point, not the person.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
 
577 posts, read 57,385 times
Reputation: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
I have not seen constant haranguing from TFF.
Maybe you don't want to see it.

Quote:
That's all OK. What is NOT OK is singling TFF out as being the only person on this forum who thinks his own opinion is right. Virtually everyone here thinks his or her own opinion is the right one. Many are wrong, but that's OK.
I'm not talking about what anyone thinks on this forum. I am talking about how one engages another in discussion on this forum. Here is an example of one of the things I am talking about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
And if your doctor recommends you do something contrary to Halacha? (Assuming not life threatening). I’m starting to see a theme here - many non frum Jews think doctors are of higher esteem and capability to know Hashem’s will than rabbis. Maybe it has something to do with the rabbis you know?
Was it really necessary to imply that Jews who follow their doctors' advice do so because they somehow hold their rabbis (and ultimately, their faith) in low esteem?

Was it really necessary to make such a smug comment to another Jew on this forum, not knowing anything about that person's particular medical history and whether or not one's words might be cruel?

I hope the irony of such an exchange in a topic on MORALITY has not entirely escaped you.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top