U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 11:29 AM

21,668 posts, read 24,887,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I’ve apologized when I felt I went overboard. You just double down with your anger and disgusting personal attacks. And you question my middos? That’s rich.
Let's get a reality check. Your apologies have always been empty. I went away and you continued the same garbage. Other people of the Orthodox group have also left and you continued the same garbage. When are you going to admit it's you and stop blaming everyone else? So yes your character traits (middos) comes into question.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,477,221 times
Seems like we’re really making progress now. If everyone here can refrain from all the personal attacks on me (which I refrain from reporting to the Mods out of my love for my fellow Yidden), then we can return to learning and personal growth and development here. All the best to you all, and I hope you all can find some Shabbos menucha as well as overall menuchas hanefesh.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:35 PM

28,682 posts, read 15,732,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Rachel, I agree with you. I've noted his derision toward Jews who are less religious, and the thing about it that bothers me most is this: it gives Gentiles reading this forum a negative impression of (some) Jews as being judgmental and intolerant.

To provide balance to that, I have, as you know, become affiliated with the local Chabad chapter. The Rabbi and Rebbetzin are the two most Orthodox Jews I have ever met, and they are completely welcoming of ANY Jew. In fact, the Rabbi has said "a Jew is a Jew," and he makes no distinction as to degree of observance. It is that level of warmth and welcoming that I wish someone like TFF would aspire.

Also, as an aside, I once asked what his name referred to, and I was told TB. I often find those who "return" (like born-again Christians) to be the most judgmental of all. It's like they go overboard with their new-found zeal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
To bring us back on topic... I also happen to base my morality on the writings of Rabbi Alfred J. Kolatch (1916-2007). When I was very young with many questions, a much older, Orthodox (and very wise) member of my Jewish community introduced me to Rabbi Kolatch's wonderful 2-volume set of books titled: The Jewish Book of Why. I highly recommend these books to all (whether you are Jewish or not), along with all of Rabbi Kolatch's other informative writings.

Pertaining to previous discussion in this thread, this is what Rabbi Kolatch had to say about Jewish observance, and why those who are not strict Orthodox may, nevertheless, be considered observant Jews. (I am only going to quote some excerpts from the book, under "fair use" in U.S. copyright law, so as not to be in blatant violation of any copyright laws.)
I notice he says ‘person’ not ‘Jew’...Interesting...

Old 07-12-2019, 02:39 PM

21,668 posts, read 24,887,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Seems like we’re really making progress now. If everyone here can refrain from all the personal attacks on me (which I refrain from reporting to the Mods out of my love for my fellow Yidden), then we can return to learning and personal growth and development here. All the best to you all, and I hope you all can find some Shabbos menucha as well as overall menuchas hanefesh.
This is the type of twisted post we're talking about throughout this thread. If the poster would've worded his comment in a positive manner and ended it with "Shabbos menucha' which means a 'Peaceful Shabbat' we could've entered Shabbat at a armistice. But no, the OP had to go further and stick everyone again by typing in the manner he did and stating 'overall menuchas hanefesh' as if we all lack it.

menuchas hanefesh = Peace of Mind

Old 07-12-2019, 02:57 PM

1,739 posts, read 568,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
This is the type of twisted post we're talking about throughout this thread. If the poster would've worded his comment in a positive manner and ended it with "Shabbos menucha' which means a 'Peaceful Shabbat' we could've entered Shabbat at a armistice. But no, the OP had to go further and stick everyone again by typing in the manner he did and stating 'overall menuchas hanefesh' as if we all lack it.

menuchas hanefesh = Peace of Mind
I lack it and I appreciate the wishes that he sent to me. I have enough turmoil in my life that a bracha that I should have some peace of mind is well received. Turning this into anything else seems unnecessarily defensive. I hope that if I wish everyone here some menuchas hanefesh, no one will be offended.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:20 PM

1,337 posts, read 188,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I notice he says ‘person’ not ‘Jew’...Interesting...

Quote:
There is a historical basis for this. In the talmudic period (the early centuries C.E.) a more tolerant view of religious commitment prevailed. Rabbi Nehemiah said, "Whoever is faithful to [observes] one commandment [mitzva] is worthy of having the Holy Spirit rest upon him. He is accepted as a full Jew. Rabbi Akiba made the same point, adding that G-d considers the observance of even one commandment a fulfillment of the Covenant between Himself and Israel.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,477,221 times
In order to promote menuchas hanefesh for all in this forum, I’m going to ask the mods to close this thread, which should help all of us move on and begin to treat each other with more respect.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:19 PM

59,665 posts, read 57,171,595 times
Thread has drifted off-topic to discussion of the OP.

Shabbat Shalom, everyone, from your friendly goyishe moderator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism