U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 04:43 PM

3,952 posts, read 3,340,232 times

Advertisements

Moving this out of a different thread in order to be respectful not to go off topic on that thread.

Iím curious where all my fellow Jews find their source of morality. In other words how do you determine right from wrong, or the correct route to handle difficult situations in life.

During Passover this year, one of my relatives told me they were unable to eat matzoh this year. Apparently it upsets his stomach, and his doctor told him he shouldnít eat it. So I followed up with a question and asked what their rabbi said about it when they asked. The response I got nearly floored me. the answer I got, was what in the world does a rabbi have to do with this? I know with myself, I donít make any important decisions in my life without consulting my Rav. But I also know the vast majority of Jews do not pray at a synagogue with a Qualified halachic decider.

If you donít have/want/think you need a rabbi to help you with lifeís tough decisions, and youíre not steeped in Torah, then what sources do you use to know how to proceed in life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 05:18 PM

54 posts, read 6,620 times
Good question TFF. My main source of reading is Rabbi Joseph Telushkin. I have read all of his books numerous times, and still read them everyday. I can almost tell you how he would respond to any number of situations. I use him as a type of life guide.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:44 PM

572 posts, read 56,174 times
Yes, good question!

I know that question of the matzoh applied to your relative and not to you, TFF, but I'm curious as to what you think your rabbi might have said if you'd asked him whether you ought to follow your doctor's instructions? I know that my own rabbi would have said to listen to my doctor, but my rabbi might also have come up with some sort of halachic alternative for me if at all possible. When it comes to matters of physical health, I think that most rabbis would agree that one should listen to one's doctor.

On the other hand, I don't see why one shouldn't also ask one's rabbi. But if I had a rabbi who told me not to listen to my doctor, and unless that rabbi was a qualified physician as well, I'd probably find myself another rabbi.

Like Jacob here, I put a lot of faith in what Rabbi Telushkin has to say in his writings. I also try to base my morality on Rabbi Hillel's Golden Rule: "What is hateful to you, do not do to another."

Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 PM

Iím not going to paskin, but I suspect my Rav would say one is obligated to eat matza at the first Seder unless it truly could be dangerous or life threatening.

In my experience, I have found that non frum doctors are not to be trusted with anything with halachic ramifications. Many think they themselves are G-d, since they hold life and death in their very hands. I would definitely trust the medical advice of a qualified posek over that of a non frum doctor. I think youíd be surprised how capable a posek who specializes in medical info is.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:44 PM

572 posts, read 56,174 times
I also have great respect for the late Rabbi Menachem Schneerson (may his name and memory be a blessing).

Rabbi Schneerson, in his great wisdom, said this in a letter to a woman who had asked him whether she ought to follow her doctor's advice:

Quote:
Certainly, you are following the directives of the doctor. The [ultimate] Healer is Gd. Nevertheless, the Torah relates that He desires that this be accomplished partially through an intermediary: the doctor and the mediums he prescribes.
For complete letter, click on this link: https://www.chabad.org/therebbe/lett...ors-advice.htm

As a side note, Rabbi Schneerson did not seem to concern himself with whether or not the physician was frum.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:53 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,432,423 times
Great question. I ask the Rabbi for important issues, or sometimes I will post a question on the Chabad website. I would have a really difficult time with that if I happened to be an LGBTQ person, though. In that case, I would form my own framework, which isn't the correct answer halachically, I know.
Sometimes I choose not to follow halacha. I will pay the price one day.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Sometimes I choose not to follow halacha. I will pay the price one day.
And who knows, you may still change, even on the Halacha that makes less sense.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:12 AM

12,023 posts, read 16,765,337 times
My rabbi rightfully refers me to my medical team for all medical questions.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My rabbi rightfully refers me to my medical team for all medical questions.
And if your doctor recommends you do something contrary to Halacha? (Assuming not life threatening). Iím starting to see a theme here - many non frum Jews think doctors are of higher esteem and capability to know Hashemís will than rabbis. Maybe it has something to do with the rabbis you know?

Old 07-10-2019, 10:49 AM

54 posts, read 6,620 times
Just speaking for myself...Every rabbi that I have spoken to appears to be just a common man, in the same way we are all common. If they have a good idea about something, then that idea should be considered. If the idea shows lack of knowledge, experience, common sense. People have to make the decision that best represents the correct answer.

These men are not going to be paying our bills, accepting our responsibility, or standing with us on judgement day.

I mentioned that I study Joseph Telushkin. He's a well informed man. But even then a lot of what he has to say should be regarded as not applicable to all situations and circumstances. He says a lot of things that go against my personal beliefs.

An example would be that he thinks concealment ( In general ) that terminally ill people should not be given full information about a current health crisis. ( As in - You will be dead within 24 hours ) I wholeheartedly disagree.

But in some unique cases I would agree with him. But rarely considering these cases would I agree. People have an absolute right to the truth about their health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism