U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM

403 posts, read 124,433 times

Advertisements

The lack of support for ukrkoz's position goes a long way in defining this forum's relation to Judaism, the Torah, and a belief in a Creator who might know better than His creations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

83 posts, read 15,660 times
I have never neutered or spayed an animal. I let the veterinarian do that!!

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

621 posts, read 63,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
I have never neutered or spayed an animal. I let the veterinarian do that!!

LOL! Too funny, Shalhevet!

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
The lack of support for ukrkoz's position goes a long way in defining this forum's relation to Judaism, the Torah, and a belief in a Creator who might know better than His creations.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

403 posts, read 124,433 times
Good idea. Have two! You need them.

Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM

337 posts, read 89,749 times
Rachel, I love many things about your religion and agree with many. My Jewish friend and I have had great discussions. My DIL is polish and we have been to Poland twice. The first time I went I knew I had to go to Auschwitz. I have no clue why. I had a panic attack but completed the tour. The only way I can explain it is that I could feel people’s pain. I am new to CD and if I shouldn’t be on some threads let me know because the last thing I want to do is offend anyone.

Old Today, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Rachel, I love many things about your religion and agree with many. My Jewish friend and I have had great discussions. My DIL is polish and we have been to Poland twice. The first time I went I knew I had to go to Auschwitz. I have no clue why. I had a panic attack but completed the tour. The only way I can explain it is that I could feel people’s pain. I am new to CD and if I shouldn’t be on some threads let me know because the last thing I want to do is offend anyone.

Your empathy reveals you to be a kind person, Teacher Terry. Kindness is never offensive. May G-d bless you.

Old Today, 12:32 AM

337 posts, read 89,749 times
Thanks I appreciate it. I am such a animal lover and rescue old dogs that no one wants. When I see a animal thread I am instantly drawn to it.

Old Today, 12:51 AM

4,496 posts, read 3,328,688 times
I'm not Jewish, but it seems to me that in context Leviticus 22:17-33 is about only sacrificing the best to the Lord - it has to be uninjured, healthy, quality breeding stock to be a worthy sacrifice; you can't just kill your dregs and call that a sacrifice and then keep back the best animals for yourself. All other things being equal, a breeding animal is worth more than a castrated animal. You keep your finest livestock intact to reproduce. So sacrificing a castrated animal would be giving your second best and that's disrespectful.

I think it's addressing a different situation than keeping a pet housecat or dog.

Old Today, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I'm not Jewish, but it seems to me that in context Leviticus 22:17-33 is about only sacrificing the best to the Lord - it has to be uninjured, healthy, quality breeding stock to be a worthy sacrifice; you can't just kill your dregs and call that a sacrifice and then keep back the best animals for yourself. All other things being equal, a breeding animal is worth more than a castrated animal. You keep your finest livestock intact to reproduce. So sacrificing a castrated animal would be giving your second best and that's disrespectful.

I think it's addressing a different situation than keeping a pet housecat or dog.

Welcome to the Judaism forum, Frostnip.

Although there are those who interpret these verses to include all animals in one's keeping, the comments of Rashi on these verses seem to reflect what you are talking about – that the law applies only to livestock.

I doubt that pets were kept by the ancient Israelites – at least certainly not to the extent that we keep pets today. I don't know whether you might be familiar with Rashi, but he was a great, 11th century rabbi and scholar who commented extensively on the Torah and Talmud. Rashi wrote, regarding Leviticus 22:24: "And in your land, you shall not do: this thing, to castrate any livestock or wild animal, even of an unclean species." Source: https://www.chabad.org/library/bible...showrashi/true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or