U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:26 AM

621 posts, read 63,943 times

Advertisements

It's generally accepted that responsible pet owners should neuter their dog or cat. There are a number of good reasons for doing this, ranging from the prevention of unwanted litters of puppies and kittens to preserving the overall health of your pet. https://pets.webmd.com/reasons-spay-neuter-pet

Yet Leviticus 22:24 tells us that not only may we not offer as a sacrifice to G-d any animal that has been neutered, but neither shall we neuter any animal.

Obviously we don't keep pets for the purpose of sacrifice but they are still our animals, and we are told not to neuter our animals.

So, if you have a pet dog or cat, how do you reconcile yourself to this mitzvah, so that you can be both a good Jew and a good pet owner?

I have a pet dog that's been neutered, but I've never really considered this before. Regardless, my mind is not changed on the matter. I'm merely asking other pet-owners here whether you have ever considered this mitzvah and, if so, how do you reconcile yourself to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 AM

3,475 posts, read 678,208 times
I consider what happens if you DON'T neuter a pet: within a single female cat's lifetime, she can reproduce kittens who will reproduce kittens who will reproduce kittens, to the tune of 2,000 or more, and the vast majority will end up homeless, and either die a horrible death or be euthanized. (As far as a male cat, well....I can't even count that high.)

I am doing a mitzvah by providing a home to a shelter cat and, simultaneously, prevented the birth of thousands of kittens destined for a short life of struggle.

Even more than that, I also support rescue groups who, as part of their mission, neuter homeless animals before (hopefully) placing them for adoption. I consider this a mitzvah as well.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:12 AM

58 posts, read 7,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Yet Leviticus 22:24 tells us that not only may we not offer as a sacrifice to G-d any animal that has been neutered, but neither shall we neuter any animal.
The Torah is the inspired writings of men. It was designed to be interpreted as a metaphor for bettering our lives, and even the lives of the animal kingdom. Considering the factual statistics about our domesticated friends. We are obligated to their well-being and protection. I have had many dogs over the years. I strongly advocate spay and neuter of pets.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I consider what happens if you DON'T neuter a pet: within a single female cat's lifetime, she can reproduce kittens who will reproduce kittens who will reproduce kittens, to the tune of 2,000 or more, and the vast majority will end up homeless, and either die a horrible death or be euthanized. (As far as a male cat, well....I can't even count that high.)

I am doing a mitzvah by providing a home to a shelter cat and, simultaneously, prevented the birth of thousands of kittens destined for a short life of struggle.

Even more than that, I also support rescue groups who, as part of their mission, neuter homeless animals before (hopefully) placing them for adoption. I consider this a mitzvah as well.

Awesome, Rachel! Yes, I also consider rescue and adoption to be a mitzvah. My little dog is a rescue, too!

Old 07-19-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
The Torah is the inspired writings of men. It was designed to be interpreted as a metaphor for bettering our lives, and even the lives of the animal kingdom. Considering the factual statistics about our domesticated friends. We are obligated to their well-being and protection. I have had many dogs over the years. I strongly advocate spay and neuter of pets.

I agree that we are obligated for the well-being and protection of our pets. That's an excellent way of looking at it, Jacob, and I also strongly advocate for the spaying and neutering of pets.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:58 AM

11,212 posts, read 11,021,140 times
In addition, if you adopt a pet from a shelter instead of buying a puppy mill dog, you have no choice. You'll get the animal fixed as a condition of the adoption. Some shelters do it before you get the animal. Others deliver the animal to the vet where you can pick it up after the surgery. Want a pet? Get it fixed.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In addition, if you adopt a pet from a shelter instead of buying a puppy mill dog, you have no choice. You'll get the animal fixed as a condition of the adoption. Some shelters do it before you get the animal. Others deliver the animal to the vet where you can pick it up after the surgery. Want a pet? Get it fixed.
I was thinking that was a way around the issue for frum Jews. Let somebody else do the fixing.

Pets adopted from shelters make the BEST pets, IMO.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:27 AM

3,475 posts, read 678,208 times
Quote:
I was thinking that was a way around the issue for frum Jews. Let somebody else do the fixing.

Pets adopted from shelters make the BEST pets, IMO.
Yes. I think they know they've been rescued, and they are very grateful.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:36 AM

1,396 posts, read 499,403 times
Quote:
It's generally accepted that responsible pet owners should neuter their dog or cat. There are a number of good reasons for doing this, ranging from the prevention of unwanted litters of puppies and kittens to preserving the overall health of your pet. https://pets.webmd.com/reasons-spay-neuter-pet

Obviously we don't keep pets for the purpose of sacrifice but they are still our animals, and we are told not to neuter our animals.

So, if you have a pet dog or cat, how do you reconcile yourself to this mitzvah, so that you can be both a good Jew and a good pet owner?

I have a pet dog that's been neutered, but I've never really considered this before. Regardless, my mind is not changed on the matter. I'm merely asking other pet-owners here whether you have ever considered this mitzvah and, if so, how do you reconcile yourself to it?
https://www.koltorah.org/halachah/a-...scott-sears-jd

https://judaism.stackexchange.com/qu...of-female-dogs

Old 07-19-2019, 11:14 AM

So, Rabbi Rosends, do you have a dog or a cat and, if so, have you had it neutered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or