U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:14 AM

6 posts, read 903 times

Advertisements

You guys. I come here in honesty and you are full of suspicions. How would G-d regard your treatment of one who seeks Him?

As it is truthfully said, you are a stiff-necked people. And that is from the Torah, not the NT.

You needn't worry about me "stealing" anyone, I will trouble you no more. Sorry I ventured to make contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 10:26 AM

687 posts, read 75,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumsink View Post
You guys. I come here in honesty and you are full of suspicions. How would G-d regard your treatment of one who seeks Him?

As it is truthfully said, you are a stiff-necked people. And that is from the Torah, not the NT.

You needn't worry about me "stealing" anyone, I will trouble you no more. Sorry I ventured to make contact.
I wasn't talking about you specifically. But now you've made it pretty clear what you think of the Jewish people -- and it didn't really take that long to draw you out.

I wish you well in whatever spiritual path you choose to follow. Peace to you.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:48 AM

89 posts, read 17,203 times
I am a Jew by choice. It took SEVERAL years, a lot of commitment, a retooling of my life style and we are moving next year to be closer to the Jewish community in my area. In the meantime, I make the hour drive to get to services, events and other things so I can be active in the community. And I'm not even Orthodox... this was a Reform/Conservative conversion.

I don't know anything about the group you mention, except my mother said the "J was probably one". Yes, she is a christian. Respect for both the written AND oral laws is fundamental to Judaism; I'm not sure how you can be Jewish if you ignore the fundamentals.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:15 PM

2,131 posts, read 899,106 times
Why do you even need a group to worship with? You can believe what you believe without involving anyone else. You don't have to make your beliefs your identity. You don't have to go to any church or synagogue to be a believer.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:52 PM

3,664 posts, read 718,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I wasn't talking about you specifically. But now you've made it pretty clear what you think of the Jewish people -- and it didn't really take that long to draw you out.

I wish you well in whatever spiritual path you choose to follow. Peace to you.
Yup. That was quick, wasn't it? Two pages in, and he already revealed his contempt for Jews. Two hints he was a troll:

1) He opened a new account just to pose the question.
2) He quoted from the NT.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:04 PM

687 posts, read 75,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Why do you even need a group to worship with? You can believe what you believe without involving anyone else. You don't have to make your beliefs your identity. You don't have to go to any church or synagogue to be a believer.

Here's a novel thought for you: How about you live your life the best way that you know how, and we will do the same.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Worshipping with fellow Jews is an important element to Judaism (although I know the NT found a way to demonize Jews for that).

Old 07-24-2019, 01:15 PM

Now you have shown contempt for me. Why? Since you brought it up I do that. I have recognized that all organized religion, charity, education, government, is first and foremost a profit making busines, set up for the benefit of those who run those organizations, not the people who support them, so I practice my religion, charity and education at home, and don't mess with the govenment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Here's a novel thought for you: How about you live your life the best way that you know how, and we will do the same.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:22 PM

As a person brought up Catholic, I can recognize that Christians have been by far the most bloodthirsty group of "killers in God's name" that have existed through the last couple of milleniums. Jews have been among the most reasonable. I think Jews have been most demonized not for practicing a different religion (no demonization of Amish or Quakers or Christian Scientists for the most part) but for their success in commerce, and a certain exclusivity, by those with less. Maybe I am wrong. But the most demonized people in the US have been minorities, most of whom are Christian. The NT is basically a radical manifesto that demonizes those (like the money changers in the temple and the pharisees) who controlled economic and political power with the approval of the Romans. Christianity became even more corrupt and brutal when they had the wealth and power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Worshipping with fellow Jews is an important element to Judaism (although I know the NT found a way to demonize Jews for that).

Last edited by bobspez; 07-24-2019 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-24-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
As a person brought up Catholic, I can recognize that Christians have been by far the most bloodthirsty group of "killers in God's name" that have existed through the last couple of millenium. Jews have been among the most reasonable. I think Jews have been most demonized not for practicing a different religion (no demonization of Amish or Quakers or Christian Scientists for the most part) but for their success in commerce, and a certain exclusivity, by those with less. Maybe I am wrong.
True, much of the disdain for Jews is due to jealousy for their levels of success, generally speaking. But you fall prey to a stereotype when you zero in on "success in commerce," when in fact Jews have achieved success far above their numbers in science, technology, and medicine. They are, for example, disproportionate recipients of Nobel prizes.

It might be for another thread, but this success can be attributed to a number of factors, key among them being a strong emphasis on education (learning has been seen as a mitzvah since before Jesus was born) and a low out-of-wedlock birthrate. Until a couple of generations ago, they also had much lower levels of alcoholism, but alas, we've "caught up" to the general population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism