U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,441,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Someday, Chana, you may feel like having a bas mitzvah and, if you should decide to do it, don't feel self-conscious about it. There are a lot of adult Jewish-born and adult Jews by choice who never had a bar/bas mitzvah and who learn that it's never too late to have one. You'll be in good company.

I might give it a try someday. Thanks for your support and kindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
My favorite story tells of how all Jewish souls that ever have or ever will exist were all present at the foot of Mt Sinai to receive the Torah. Therefore there are no "converts", there are just Jewish souls, finding their way home.

Yes. I have to tell you, once I decided, there was no urge like any other urge I have EVER had in my life. I was brainwashed by another religion when I was young. At one point, I still had in the back of my mind that if I was wrong about Judaism being the one true religion (at least for me), and I was punished with damnation, I'd still much rather live one day on this earth as a Jew than an eternity in a Christian heaven.

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, I agree that those who convert become retroactively Jewish. I just prefer to use the term "Jew by choice" where one would ordinarily be using the word "convert" when talking about the subject of conversion. The term "convert" has historically had negative connotations for us, as many Jews were forced into becoming Christian converts. There was no choice in the matter.

Even though Jews don't force anyone to convert to Judaism, I nevertheless like to stress the choice made by those who have become Jews, in contrast to what some other religions have done to Jews.

I hope my use of the word "convert" isn't offensive. To me, "choice" implies something temporary. I change my mind all of the time. I chose to drive my black car to the gym today, but tomorrow, I will choose to drive my blue car to work tomorrow morning and carry my orange gym bag to the gym at noon. "Converted", although not a great word choice, suggests a permanent infusion onto my neshama. There is no going back.

Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

702 posts, read 77,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
I hope my use of the word "convert" isn't offensive. To me, "choice" implies something temporary. I change my mind all of the time. I chose to drive my black car to the gym today, but tomorrow, I will choose to drive my blue car to work tomorrow morning and carry my orange gym bag to the gym at noon. "Converted", although not a great word choice, suggests a permanent infusion onto my neshama. There is no going back.

No, the word "convert" isn't at all offensive! The last thing I'd want is for the term "Jew by choice" to be some sort of politically correct terminology. LOL I only use it as my own personal preference -- I don't insist on others using it. That's why I say that I like to use this term (and I explained why and what it means to me).

You make a good point, too, Chana. It's cool that we can all express ourselves as we prefer.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

62 posts, read 8,577 times
Just throwing this out there. . .

To me most Jews by choice are regarded as special. Natural Jews are born into the system, and although they learn the same material. It's different for Jews by choice, they have to in many cases unlearn as well as re-learn. They make a conscience decision the adopt Judaism. I wouldn't say I respect them more . . . But I do have a special type of respect for them being willing to make the choice, and follow through with it.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob II View Post
Just throwing this out there. . .

To me most Jews by choice are regarded as special. Natural Jews are born into the system, and although they learn the same material. It's different for Jews by choice, they have to in many cases unlearn as well as re-learn. They make a conscience decision the adopt Judaism. I wouldn't say I respect them more . . . But I do have a special type of respect for them being willing to make the choice, and follow through with it.

I like that. We also choose between right and wrong, good and bad. I'm not suggesting that Judaism is the only "right" choice for everyone, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have a special place in my heart for those who choose Judaism.

Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM

28,093 posts, read 15,175,124 times
Quote:
I like that. We also choose between right and wrong, good and bad. I'm not suggesting that Judaism is the only "right" choice for everyone, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have a special place in my heart for those who choose Judaism.
When Mashiach come, do you think that the world will still have multiple religions?...

Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
When Mashiach come, do you think that the world will still have multiple religions?...

I don't know. What do you think, Richard?

Old Yesterday, 11:11 PM

28,093 posts, read 15,175,124 times
Quote:
I don't know. What do you think, Richard?
Considering what Mashiach will do, Id say no...

Old Today, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Considering what Mashiach will do, Id say no...

The evangelical Christians firmly believe that we Jews will all be converted to Christianity in "the end times" so, on account of them, I kind of have an aversion to saying that everyone is going to be converted to Judaism when Mashiach arrives.

In the Book of the Prophet Yeshayahu (Isaiah), we are told that G-d's House will be firmly established at the top of the mountains and all the nations will come to it, many of which for the purpose of being taught G-d's ways. But it also says that G-d will judge between the nations and that "nation shall not lift the sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore." So that kind of suggests to me that there will still be different nations with their different ways, but there will no longer be any war between us.

https://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/15933#v2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism