U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 06:27 AM

6 posts, read 616 times

Advertisements

I consider myself functionally a convert to Judaism. Functionally, because I have never spoken to a rabbi about it and the branch of Judaism (Karaite) I would be interested in joining has only about 20,000 members in the US and they are all in California. Which, I live in Texas.

On top of all that, I am planning to move to a rural area where the nearest synagogue is 30 miles away and that one is Reform (not dissing Reform, just not personally interested.) I would consider getting with a conservative or orthodox synagogue, but any such would be even further away from where I am planning to live and in a big city.

I sort of feel that in terms of ever having fellowship with those who share my values, I have set myself on a raft in the middle of the ocean. Which granted is not a new experience to me. My family members (brothers) either won't speak to me at all or avoid me because of my belief in G-d. I can't go to a Christian church (I used to be a Christian) because of their belief in the Trinity.

So I really feel like I have set myself out on a raft in the middle of the ocean, socially.

Any advice for those of us who might be alone on a raft in the Southern US? Tips on how to connect socially with those who share your values, when none of them are physically around? Thanks.

(I am on the mailing list of the Karaite congregation in California but they don't have an online forum.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 06:46 AM

655 posts, read 69,528 times
Are you aware that the Karaites do not practice Judaism in the same manner as these Conservative and Orthodox synagogues that you are considering "getting with"? You may not even be considered Jewish by these synagogues, as the requirements for conversion involve more than merely considering oneself to be "functionally a convert to Judaism."

May I ask why you are attracted to the Karaites? Have you previously been involved with the messianic movement? I ask, because I have known of Christians who first get involved with the messianics and who are later attracted to the Karaites.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:02 AM

1,398 posts, read 502,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumsink View Post
I consider myself functionally a convert to Judaism. Functionally, because I have never spoken to a rabbi about it and the branch of Judaism (Karaite) I would be interested in joining has only about 20,000 members in the US and they are all in California. Which, I live in Texas.

On top of all that, I am planning to move to a rural area where the nearest synagogue is 30 miles away and that one is Reform (not dissing Reform, just not personally interested.) I would consider getting with a conservative or orthodox synagogue, but any such would be even further away from where I am planning to live and in a big city.

I sort of feel that in terms of ever having fellowship with those who share my values, I have set myself on a raft in the middle of the ocean. Which granted is not a new experience to me. My family members (brothers) either won't speak to me at all or avoid me because of my belief in G-d. I can't go to a Christian church (I used to be a Christian) because of their belief in the Trinity.

So I really feel like I have set myself out on a raft in the middle of the ocean, socially.

Any advice for those of us who might be alone on a raft in the Southern US? Tips on how to connect socially with those who share your values, when none of them are physically around? Thanks.

(I am on the mailing list of the Karaite congregation in California but they don't have an online forum.)
A convert isn't a convert until he has gone through a proper conversion procedure which can take a few years and requires major life changes. Self declarations don't do it. Additionally, "Karaite" does not equal "Jew" and if you are even remotely interested in an Orthodox community, you should learn that the Karaites are not part of any mainstream branch of Jewish thought. If you are serious, you will move and change your whole life. If you aren't then don't be surprised that people tell you that you aren't Jewish.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 616 times
"Are you aware that the Karaites do not practice Judaism in the same manner as these Conservative and Orthodox synagogues that you are considering "getting with"?"

As I stated, Conservative or Orthodox would not be my first choice. Possibly for the reasons you stated, not a choice at all. I agree with you that this would be problematic.

Karaites might regard the opinions of rabbis interesting or worth hearing, but not authoritative. They regard the Tanakh alone as authoritative, and all else an opinion. It might be a learned opinion, a worthy opinion, even a divinely inspired opinion, but an opinion. They believe that everyone must take it upon themselves to learn the Tanakh themselves. No rabbi will be standing with you on the judgement day to tell you what to say or explain why you acted as you acted.

G-d alone decides who is or is not His. My opinion doesn't matter in that context, and even were you a direct descendant of Aaron, yours wouldn't either. If you want to call me a non-Jew you are free to do so, but I think it strange that secular Jews who don't even believe in G-d are still called Jews, but one who fears G-d and strives to live according to the Torah is not.

While I do not believe the NT is divinely inspired, I can only agree with the sentiment of Mt. 3:9- "I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham."

Old 07-24-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumsink View Post
"Are you aware that the Karaites do not practice Judaism in the same manner as these Conservative and Orthodox synagogues that you are considering "getting with"?"

As I stated, Conservative or Orthodox would not be my first choice. Possibly for the reasons you stated, not a choice at all. I agree with you that this would be problematic.

Karaites might regard the opinions of rabbis interesting or worth hearing, but not authoritative. They regard the Tanakh alone as authoritative, and all else an opinion. It might be a learned opinion, a worthy opinion, even a divinely inspired opinion, but an opinion. They believe that everyone must take it upon themselves to learn the Tanakh themselves. No rabbi will be standing with you on the judgement day to tell you what to say or explain why you acted as you acted.

G-d alone decides who is or is not His. My opinion doesn't matter in that context, and even were you a direct descendant of Aaron, yours wouldn't either. If you want to call me a non-Jew you are free to do so, but I think it strange that secular Jews who don't even believe in G-d are still called Jews, but one who fears G-d and strives to live according to the Torah is not.

While I do not believe the NT is divinely inspired, I can only agree with the sentiment of Mt. 3:9- "I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham."

You haven't answered my question as to whether or not you had been involved in the messianic movement. Of course you don't have to respond if you don't want to.

I just want to point out to you that this is a Judaism forum. The Karaites broke away from mainstream Judaism in the 8th century. Most interesting (and please correct me if I've gotten this wrong), is that Karaites do not seek medical help when needed because of their literal interpretation of the Bible. This is why Jews today rely on the scholarly interpretation of Bible passages by our learned rabbis, rather than take such passages literally.

Also, quoting the NT to Jews in order to support your convictions about Judaism isn't likely to impress anyone here.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:35 AM

3,562 posts, read 696,541 times
Something is off with the OP. He claims he is a "functional Jew," but never converted, and then he quotes a verse from the NT. Odd.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:53 AM

6 posts, read 616 times
I have not been involved in the Messianic movement. I was formerly a Christian, and attended Episcopalian and CoC churches. I am ethnically a gentile.

Karaites ARE Jews. Yes, many rabbinical Jews do not consider them so, but except for converts they are descendants of Jacob. Most of those same rabbinical Jews still call secular Jews Jewish. Which, there would have been no Jews without Judaism.

I quoted Matthew only because it was eloquent to the situation, not out of a belief in Christianity.

I don't mean to disrupt, I made contact with a Karaite rabbi and I will be directing my questions to him in future.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Something is off with the OP. He claims he is a "functional Jew," but never converted, and then he quotes a verse from the NT. Odd.
I've encountered self-styled "Jews" on other forums who have claimed that they "converted themselves." I even recall one of them saying that he'd immersed himself in his bathtub as his "mikvah"!

I don't know whether they mean any harm, but they certainly don't know much about Judaism.

As Rabbi Rosends here said: "If you are serious, you will move and change your whole life." Becoming a Jew isn't easy -- nor should it be. (As any genuine Jew-by-choice already knows.)

Old 07-24-2019, 09:02 AM

3,562 posts, read 696,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I've encountered messianics on other forums who have claimed that they "converted themselves." I even recall one of them saying that he'd immersed himself in his bathtub as his "mikvah"!

I don't know whether they mean any harm, but they certainly don't know much about Judaism.

As Rabbi Rosends here said: "If you are serious, you will move and change your whole life." Becoming a Jew isn't easy -- nor should it be. (As any genuine Jew-by-choice already knows.)
Agree. We have an evangelical church in the area, and they try to "snag" Jews by claiming they themselves are Jewish, as well. They don't fool anyone. (But that's all a different topic.)

Old 07-24-2019, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I don't know how to say this any plainer. I don't think Jesus was G-d, I don't even believe he was the Messiah. He was some dude who said things, period.

You can believe whatever you want to believe, but I think no Christian would ever deny that Jesus was G-d. That's sort of the point of Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism