U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 11:09 AM

691 posts, read 76,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
A bit of shameless self-promotion. I wrote about Jerusalem cats a few years ago. I grew up as a cat owner and love cats, but the blog post holds true.

https://rosends.blogspot.com/2017/06/cats-risk.html

That was very entertaining! Rabbi Rosen, you are a man of many talents!

Sorry about Julie's troubles, though. (But it was still a great story!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 04:36 PM

56,623 posts, read 55,009,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I had thought that the cat didn't have a place in Judaism, because domestic cats aren't mentioned anywhere in the Bible. While it's true that they're not biblical animals, I was happy to discover how wrong I was about cats and Judaism! I was previously unaware that "cats are mentioned fondly in the Talmud. Our rabbinic sages, including the great commentator Rashi, note that cats are an example of modesty given their use of their litter boxes and indeed the Talmud states, If the Torah wasnít given, we would have learned modesty from the cat.Ē (quoted from the blog of Rabbi Barbara Aiello).

Rabbi Yonassan Gershom (author of Jewish Themes in Star Trek), wrote an entire blog entry on "The Jewish View of Cats" which presents a fascinating history of the cat's relationship to Jewish culture. While cats were often viewed by medieval Christians as being demonic (and all too often burned along with perceived witches), Jews however "kept them around to hunt rodents and protect the holy books from mice. To this day, Torah scrolls are made of parchment, and books back then were all bound in leather with glues made from animal hides, which made them very tempting for rodents to chew. So it was common to have a shul katze (synagogue cat) to protect the congregation's library."

I love the idea of the shul katze! If you'd like to read Rabbi Gershom's blog entry on the Jewish view of cats, here is the link: Notes from a Jewish Thoreau: The Jewish view of cats

Shabbat Shalom, everyone!
Great information, Rachel New York, thanks for sharing, and I also enjoyed the posts from everyone else on the thread but didn't want to multi-quote so many posts. Going to read rosends's blog.

Good luck with the new kitty, Rachel976.

I had four, now down to one, an old boy of 14, all black, but he's in pretty good shape still.

Shabbat Shalom, everyone.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:33 PM

3,973 posts, read 3,361,261 times
There are many many halachic difficulties and requirements to owning a cat (or any pet). It can be done, but not recommended unless you are committed to learning all the related halcha. For instance, the poskim have ruled itís forbidden to own a pet if you attend a shul and donít pay full dues. We own dogs, and thereís much for a G-d fearing Yid to learn from owning a pet.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
There are many many halachic difficulties and requirements to owning a cat (or any pet). It can be done, but not recommended unless you are committed to learning all the related halcha. For instance, the poskim have ruled it’s forbidden to own a pet if you attend a shul and don’t pay full dues. We own dogs, and there’s much for a G-d fearing Yid to learn from owning a pet.

*Sigh* Clearly, a halachic disclaimer is necessary for this forum. With respect to the Mods, I would like to suggest the following:

The posts on the Judaism forum are written by a very varied group of Jews with different views and customs. Please don't take any comments or answers as P'sak Halacha (a rabbinic ruling of Jewish law). Please ask your own rabbi to find out which opinion you should go by. Never change your customs or adopt minhagim ("traditions that are not mentioned in the Torah or mandated by Jewish law") based on what a forum member has told you. You must verify in real life with your own rabbi or trusted advisor as to what you should do.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 08-04-2019 at 03:52 AM..

Old 08-04-2019, 12:36 PM

28,075 posts, read 15,171,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
*Sigh* Clearly, a halachic disclaimer is necessary for this forum. With respect to the Mods, I would like to suggest the following:

The posts on the Judaism forum are written by a very varied group of Jews with different views and customs. Please don't take any comments or answers as P'sak Halacha (a rabbinic ruling of Jewish law). Please ask your own rabbi to find out which opinion you should go by. Never change your customs or adopt minhagim ("traditions that are not mentioned in the Torah or mandated by Jewish law") based on what a forum member has told you. You must verify in real life with your own rabbi or trusted advisor as to what you should do.
Some things that were once minhagim are now Halacha...

Old 08-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

Then it would be helpful if the person making a claim were to provide a source.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:06 PM

21,394 posts, read 24,242,632 times
Quote:
There are many many halachic difficulties and requirements to owning a cat (or any pet). It can be done, but not recommended unless you are committed to learning all the related halcha. For instance, the poskim have ruled itís forbidden to own a pet if you attend a shul and donít pay full dues. We own dogs, and thereís much for a G-d fearing Yid to learn from owning a pet.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:10 PM

21,394 posts, read 24,242,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Well there is...

Halachic Perspectives on Pets \ Rabbi Howard Jachter

Old 08-04-2019, 04:32 PM

3,668 posts, read 721,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Great information, Rachel New York, thanks for sharing, and I also enjoyed the posts from everyone else on the thread but didn't want to multi-quote so many posts. Going to read rosends's blog.

Good luck with the new kitty, Rachel976.

I had four, now down to one, an old boy of 14, all black, but he's in pretty good shape still.

Shabbat Shalom, everyone.
Thank you!

Old 08-04-2019, 04:37 PM

3,668 posts, read 721,733 times
Quote:
Good way to take the joy out of owning a pet! Thankyouverymuch.

I say that saving a little life from the shelter is a mitzvah, regardless of Halacha. She ain't getting no cans of shrimp, but beyond that....not going to worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or