U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 05:04 PM

691 posts, read 76,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Interesting article, 'Tali. Thanks for the link.

But as we can see, there are different halachic perspectives regarding different situations based on different rabbis having differing opinions. For example, the issue as to whether or not a guide dog for the blind ought to be allowed in a synagogue is enough to see the polarization of some rabbis on some issues.

This is why we defer to our own rabbi. I can tell you right now that if my rabbi were on the side of those who believed that a blind person should not be permitted to bring his/her service dog to religious services, then I would find myself a new (and more reasonable and compassionate) rabbi.

This is what is meant when it is said that Judaism is not a monolithic religion. We don't have any single human being as our central ruling authority like the Catholics have the Pope.

@Rabbi Rosen: Please correct me if I am wrong here. While you are not my rabbi, I respect your words on this forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Good way to take the joy out of owning a pet! Thankyouverymuch.

I say that saving a little life from the shelter is a mitzvah, regardless of Halacha. She ain't getting no cans of shrimp, but beyond that....not going to worry about it.

I also believe it's a mitzvah to save an unwanted pet and give it a good home. Although my little rescue dog isn't getting any bacon, either. LOL (Our pets are probably better off for it, too, Rachel!)

Old 08-04-2019, 05:37 PM

1,407 posts, read 505,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Interesting article, 'Tali. Thanks for the link.

But as we can see, there are different halachic perspectives regarding different situations based on different rabbis having differing opinions. For example, the issue as to whether or not a guide dog for the blind ought to be allowed in a synagogue is enough to see the polarization of some rabbis on some issues.

This is why we defer to our own rabbi. I can tell you right now that if my rabbi were on the side of those who believed that a blind person should not be permitted to bring his/her service dog to religious services, then I would find myself a new (and more reasonable and compassionate) rabbi.

This is what is meant when it is said that Judaism is not a monolithic religion. We don't have any single human being as our central ruling authority like the Catholics have the Pope.

@Rabbi Rosen: Please correct me if I am wrong here. While you are not my rabbi, I respect your words on this forum.

As with most any statement in religion, it is safest to say

Old 08-04-2019, 06:11 PM

3,973 posts, read 3,361,261 times
Quote:

My shul has a blind man. He does not use a service animal on Shabbos. The men in the shul have been attending to his every need on Shabbos for years. I believe there’s a level of compassion included in this that no dog can provide. Chazal knew what they were doing, I assure you.

And with the constant never ending hateful behavior you exhibit towards me - the way you have singled me out with your constant harassing, I seriously doubt you understand what compassion really is.

Edited: this last part was meant for the other Rachel. Sorry I confused you two.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
As with most any statement in religion, it is safest to say

I don't know if it's "safest," but I do think that it's wisest.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:30 PM

21,394 posts, read 24,242,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
My shul has a blind man. He does not use a service animal on Shabbos. The men in the shul have been attending to his every need on Shabbos for years. I believe thereís a level of compassion included in this that no dog can provide. Chazal knew what they were doing, I assure you.
Per Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chaim 88 he can use his service animal on shabbat.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:37 PM

3,668 posts, read 721,733 times
Quote:
I also believe it's a mitzvah to save an unwanted pet and give it a good home. Although my little rescue dog isn't getting any bacon, either. LOL (Our pets are probably better off for it, too, Rachel!)
Agree. Those bacon strips are full of fat! Or so I've read....

Old 08-04-2019, 07:44 PM

3,668 posts, read 721,733 times
Quote:
My shul has a blind man. He does not use a service animal on Shabbos. The men in the shul have been attending to his every need on Shabbos for years. I believe thereís a level of compassion included in this that no dog can provide. Chazal knew what they were doing, I assure you.

And with the constant never ending hateful behavior you exhibit towards me - the way you have singled me out with your constant harassing, I seriously doubt you understand what compassion really is.

Edited: this last part was meant for the other Rachel. Sorry I confused you two.
Huh? I still think you're confused. When did I ever harass you with hateful behavior? All I said was that I'm doing a mitzvah adopting a homeless animal and that I wasn't going to worry about Halacha. My cat keeps kosher-style (since I don't bring traif into the house), but other than that, I'm not going to do anything more. (Truth be told, I don't even think the cat realizes she's Jewish!)

Old 08-04-2019, 08:11 PM

3,973 posts, read 3,361,261 times
Fine.

We have 2 dogs. Rescued them at 2 years old, all 2 years having been spent in a breeders cage. Our last dog we rescued at 11 yrs of age. Only got 2 years with that sweetie. Itís easy enough to follow halacha when it comes to a dog. Cats are probably easier.

Old 08-04-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Fine.

We have 2 dogs. Rescued them at 2 years old, all 2 years having been spent in a breeders cage. Our last dog we rescued at 11 yrs of age. Only got 2 years with that sweetie. Itís easy enough to follow halacha when it comes to a dog. Cats are probably easier.

Well done, TFF. Dogs imprisoned in breeders' cages have the saddest lives. Cheers to you for rescuing them.

@Rachel976: I don't know about bacon, either, except there's this TV commercial I've seen where this hyperactive, goyisher talking dog goes: "BACON! BACON! BACON! GOTTA GET ME SOME BACON! AHHHHH BACON!!!" Crazy, right? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or