U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2019, 05:04 PM

21,396 posts, read 24,263,988 times

Advertisements

The Ninth Day of Av (August 10, 2019): Guide for the Perplexed

The most calamitous Jewish day - Israel National News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM

3,982 posts, read 3,364,768 times
I hope those of you who are fasting today are off to an easy start.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

709 posts, read 80,011 times
To add to TFF's kind words for those who fast, may you have an easy fast.

Thanks, Pruzhany, for posting the information. I always feel a sense of foreboding about this date, as well as somber reflection on all the terrible things that have happened to us around this time.

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

I find comfort in joining with my fellow minyan attendees and saying a few hours worth of kinnos. I know they are lamentations. But they still bring a level of comfort.

7 more hours to go...

(My oldest is in Israel right now and just taunted me with a picture of his break fast spread. Love that boy)

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

1,412 posts, read 506,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post

(My oldest is in Israel right now and just taunted me with a picture of his break fast spread. Love that boy)
my daughter video chatted with me and told me about how she broke her fast at Waffle Bar.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

I just finished watching YY Jacobson speak on Torah Anytime. So inspiring! If any of you have never heard him speak before, you must go find him online. Utterly life-changing.

2 more hours to go...

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

15,142 posts, read 5,076,587 times
Good stuff, thanks Rabbi.

Old Today, 10:27 AM

1,090 posts, read 776,774 times
I keep reading the day of the Jubilee is at hand, before or after the most calamitous day?

Old Today, 11:08 AM

709 posts, read 80,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I keep reading the day of the Jubilee is at hand, before or after the most calamitous day?

The word "Jubilee" comes from the Hebrew word yubel or yovel (יובל), which literally means "ram's horn." We blow the shofar (musical instrument made from a ram's horn), during the High Holy Days which are approaching now. So perhaps this is meant by what you heard regarding "The Day of the Jubilee"?

In a different context, "Jubilee" refers to the fiftieth year in an annual cycle. I don't know where we currently are in this cycle, and I'm sure that Rabbi Rosends on this forum can explain it better than I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism