U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:56 AM

43 posts, read 8,989 times

Advertisements

I don’t quite understand what unaffiliated means though. They don’t seem reform , or at least the reform that cuts everything out. The music has a middle eastern flavour to it, or Spanish. The architecture inside looked almost Moroccan.
You can watch past Services on you tube.
The Tisha B’av one was special. They went by tradition and turned the lights off and let people sit on the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 12:26 PM

https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com...aith-weddings/
Wow, I didnít know that they were considered ď liberal ď, from this article. Iíve streamed some reform services that were more liberal, but they werenít like Bínai Jeshurun.
I thought the term ď liberal ď, as far as synagogues go, is any synagogue that isnít Orthodox.
The interfaith marriage has me surprised though; iI wasnít expecting that.
Your talking about the ceiling, had me googling more about it.
The ceiling thing sounds neat, kind of like Sukkot, where you can see the sky.
Have you been inside Park Avenue synagogue?
I love their services too; the Cantor is awesome

Old 08-12-2019, 12:40 PM

734 posts, read 81,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
https://jewishweek.timesofisrael.com...aith-weddings/
Wow, I didnít know that they were considered ď liberal ď, from this article. Iíve streamed some reform services that were more liberal, but they werenít like Bínai Jeshurun.
I thought the term ď liberal ď, as far as synagogues go, is any synagogue that isnít Orthodox.
The interfaith marriage has me surprised though; iI wasnít expecting that.
Your talking about the ceiling, had me googling more about it.
The ceiling thing sounds neat, kind of like Sukkot, where you can see the sky.
Have you been inside Park Avenue synagogue?
I love their services too; the Cantor is awesome

No, I've not been to the Park Avenue Synagogue. I do like the Eldridge Street Synagogue, that's down in the Lower East Side of Manhattan. They do some wonderful programs there, in connection with their Jewish Museum. There is a small Orthodox congregation that still meets there.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:59 PM

That’s gorgeous. I heard of Eldridge St.
One of my books has a chapter on the Jewish history on the Lower East side.
Sad how a lot of it ( most of it) is gone now. I’d love to worship there one time, just to imagine what it was like back then.
What is that design, by the way, outside of lot of synagogues , that looks like a flower ( not word that I want, but can’t think of how to describe it) ?
I’d like to visit a lot of these classic synagogues one day.
As far as worshipping permanently though, think I’d like a smaller synagogue .

Old 08-12-2019, 02:37 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,444,226 times
Welcome! There is great advice in this thread.
My advice is to continue learning and keep your wonderful, respectful attitude. Don't let yourself be too shy or timid. This is coming from a shy, nervous person who choked back tears when I brought a library book called Torah fir Beginners (or something to that effect) to study, and an old timer loudly declared, "THAT'S NOT A BOOK!" In front of everyone. Our people can seem unusual. but are the best in the world.

Welcome!

Old 08-12-2019, 03:55 PM

734 posts, read 81,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
This is coming from a shy, nervous person who choked back tears when I brought a library book called Torah fir Beginners (or something to that effect) to study, and an old timer loudly declared, "THAT'S NOT A BOOK!" In front of everyone.

Oh my gosh, I got this sudden flashback to Crocodile Dundee: "That's not a knife. That's a knife!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQrLPtr_ikE

Old timer must've thought he was Crocodile Dundee...

Old 08-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Bwhahahahaha! Love your memes.

I remember at the time being mortified. Ten years later, I'd jump right to it. "Of course it's a book. What did you think it was - a spaceship that's going to teleport you out of here?"

Me and my smart mouth. I'm not always proud of it. I learned you sometimes have to have thick skin, though, and above all, NEVER take things personally. Of course, the Chassids are such a kind bunch, I don't think PM is going to have that issue.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:34 PM

I laughed when I read that. I’d be humiliated also. Being an old timer though, wouldn’t she know that embarrassing someone in public is ( supposedly) equivalent to murder?
That Crocodile Dundee picture was funny. I never saw that movie before. The clip was funny.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 PM

Yes, it was crazy! Sometimes people are trying to be funny, I suppose, with the book comment, but it sure didn't sound funny at the time. The Crocodile Dundee movie is hilarious. I recommend it.

Good luck to you in your endeavors!

Chana

Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,402,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
I donít quite understand what unaffiliated means though. They donít seem reform , or at least the reform that cuts everything out. The music has a middle eastern flavour to it, or Spanish. The architecture inside looked almost Moroccan.
You can watch past Services on you tube.
The Tisha Bíav one was special. They went by tradition and turned the lights off and let people sit on the floor.
It just means that it doesn't officially belong to one of the movements.

My shul in NC was the same. It was Orthodox until the mid-90's, when dwindling membership required a change to keep the doors open. They transitioned to "nominally" Conservative, meaning they counted women towards a minyan, but still kept other Orthodox traditions that are uncommon in synagogues that officially belong to the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or