U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 06:42 PM

55 posts, read 10,776 times

Advertisements

What part of NC? We lived there when my husband was stationed at Pope AFB. My parents lived there after my father retired from the Army also. We moved back there when my husband retired, so we could help take care of my parents. After they died, we moved here to NH.
How does a Beit din work ,if you’re following a “ unaffiliated “ synagogue? I want to convert Conservative, but I’m wondering how that works . Do all the Rabbis on the Beit din have to be from the same movement?
I hear conflicting reports. I guess it depends on the view points of the movement you ask.
I have tons of books. Most of them are Orthodox or Conservative. I didn’t set out to buy them from any one movement. I just went by descriptions and they just happened to be mainly Conservative or Orthodox.
That’s when I found out about the different movements. I have a few reform books that I got latter and I noticed the difference right away.
Like the prayers and blessings, I’m not comfortable with gender neutral pronouns for G-d. That’s just me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:37 PM

28,178 posts, read 15,229,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
What part of NC? We lived there when my husband was stationed at Pope AFB. My parents lived there after my father retired from the Army also. We moved back there when my husband retired, so we could help take care of my parents. After they died, we moved here to NH.
How does a Beit din work ,if youíre following a ď unaffiliated ď synagogue? I want to convert Conservative, but Iím wondering how that works . Do all the Rabbis on the Beit din have to be from the same movement?
I hear conflicting reports. I guess it depends on the view points of the movement you ask.
I have tons of books. Most of them are Orthodox or Conservative. I didnít set out to buy them from any one movement. I just went by descriptions and they just happened to be mainly Conservative or Orthodox.
Thatís when I found out about the different movements. I have a few reform books that I got latter and I noticed the difference right away.
Like the prayers and blessings, Iím not comfortable with gender neutral pronouns for G-d. Thatís just me though.
Pope?...You lived in Spring Lake?....

Old 08-13-2019, 09:02 PM

Fayetteville, then Pinehurst

Old 08-14-2019, 02:36 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,405,093 times
Quote:
How does a Beit din work ,if youíre following a ď unaffiliated ď synagogue? I want to convert Conservative, but Iím wondering how that works . Do all the Rabbis on the Beit din have to be from the same movement?
I have tons of books. Most of them are Orthodox or Conservative. I didnít set out to buy them from any one movement. I just went by descriptions and they just happened to be mainly Conservative or Orthodox.
Thatís when I found out about the different movements. I have a few reform books that I got latter and I noticed the difference right away.
Like the prayers and blessings, Iím not comfortable with gender neutral pronouns for G-d. Thatís just me though.
It depends on the rabbi and the community.

One of the issues with being an affiliated synagogue is that the rabbis you hire must also belong to the same movement; being unaffiliated allows you hire any rabbi you wish (provided they don't have an issue working for an unaffiliated synagogue).

Quote:
Fayetteville, then Pinehurst
I'm from Fayetteville as well. We moved to NY a few years ago.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:35 AM

2,525 posts, read 2,141,336 times
For high holidays, Chabad is open to everyone.No tickets no anything required. They are very welcoming. You can come and observe, partake, and leave when you want.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:20 AM

755 posts, read 87,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
For high holidays, Chabad is open to everyone.No tickets no anything required. They are very welcoming. You can come and observe, partake, and leave when you want.

Awesome! I would still give them a donation, though.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:08 AM

Thanks , guys. It seems like I was really misinformed, concerning Chabad. I think we’ll check it out, being very close. I know I can’t believe everything , someone online says, but a “ Rabbi” from an online Judaism site told me that Chabad wouldn’t be welcoming to us, until we become officially Jewish, then it’ll be only to convert us to the Orthodox lifestyle.
It didn’t sound right to me, since I have a lot of their material and subscribe to a couple of You Tube sites of Orthodox women and I can’t picture them doing that sort of thing.
A couple of them are super sweet.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 AM

I’d definitely give them a donation, especially when they’re not asking for one. Most of them are run by young couples who have a lot of kids. A lot of them are living in poorer countries, doing a lot of good work there.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:17 AM

Oh yeah, forgot to ask, where would I donate to, since I know they don’t carry money then?

Old 08-14-2019, 08:07 AM

755 posts, read 87,265 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, forgot to ask, where would I donate to, since I know they don’t carry money then?

https://www.chabad.org/tools/donate/...ish/Donate.htm

ETA: You may already know this, but monetary gifts in multiples of 18 are especially significant in Judaism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or