U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2019, 08:24 AM
 
421 posts, read 129,249 times
Reputation: 555

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
https://www.chabad.org/tools/donate/...ish/Donate.htm




ETA: You may already know this, but monetary gifts in multiples of 18 are especially significant in Judaism.
This is certainly a good thing, but usually the local Chabad is more in need. You can certainly mail them a check, and if you are not Jewish, you can certainly carry away an envelope any day of the week, and mail in a check, or probably even leave one, especially if you push it under the door of a locked office of the rabbi's choice, so that you are not asking him to handle it on the Sabbath or a holy day. Purim or Hanukkah, no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 AM
 
Location: US
28,183 posts, read 15,234,144 times
Reputation: 1780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
Fayetteville, then Pinehurst
I lived in Spring Lake when I worked on Simmons...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 01:42 PM
 
59 posts, read 11,240 times
Reputation: 15
Cool. Looks like a few of us here are from the same neck of the woods, we’ll, not from, but lived there. Pope is a now only an Airfield. Last time when we were in the area, we visited it for old times sake.
It changed a lot. Half of the buildings weren’t there anymore, as well as certain aircraft.
Ft Bragg is different too.They had tons of new buildings and most of the white wooden WW2 area buildings weren’t there anymore, as well as the red checkered water towers
They’re blue now
Simmons’s got rid of some stuff too, including some helicopters, but I think they just don’t make them anymore though
I loved the Harrier Aircraft that Marine and Navy bases have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:05 PM
 
59 posts, read 11,240 times
Reputation: 15
Multiples of 18 is a good idea. I give to one in NY. I love their newsletter that I get each week. I’ve been getting them 3 years now. I saved all of them. Each week is built around the Parsha of the week.
Each of the years, they’ve had different lessons for each Parsha, without repeating the same lesson, which shows that each year , you learn something different from the same Parsha.
We drove by the Chabad house a couple of months ago to see where it was.
I looked nice. Some college aged guys were playing basketball there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:15 PM
 
760 posts, read 88,064 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
Multiples of 18 is a good idea. I give to one in NY. I love their newsletter that I get each week. I’ve been getting them 3 years now. I saved all of them. Each week is built around the Parsha of the week.
Each of the years, they’ve had different lessons for each Parsha, without repeating the same lesson, which shows that each year , you learn something different from the same Parsha.
We drove by the Chabad house a couple of months ago to see where it was.
I looked nice. Some college aged guys were playing basketball there
I love Michael Chighel's entertaining "Parsha Perks" videos on the Chabad website. Here's one I especially enjoyed -- the recent Parsha of the Red Heifer. (That cow is pretty smart, and her accent is adorable!)

https://www.chabad.org/4432444
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 04:53 PM
 
3,847 posts, read 760,055 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
Thanks , guys. It seems like I was really misinformed, concerning Chabad. I think we’ll check it out, being very close. I know I can’t believe everything , someone online says, but a “ Rabbi” from an online Judaism site told me that Chabad wouldn’t be welcoming to us, until we become officially Jewish, then it’ll be only to convert us to the Orthodox lifestyle.
It didn’t sound right to me, since I have a lot of their material and subscribe to a couple of You Tube sites of Orthodox women and I can’t picture them doing that sort of thing.
A couple of them are super sweet.
OK, I thought I'd put in my two cents here too.

I'm a traditional Conservative Jew - keep kosher but drive to shul type of observance - and I became involved with the local Chabad a little over a year ago. I have found them to be very warm and welcoming with no "judgment" about my degree of observance (or anyone else's). In fact, they are the nicest, most supportive Rabbi and Rebbetzin I have ever come across. When I mentioned this to a Reform friend of mine, half-expecting her to shrink back and jokingly remark about my involvement with such an Orthodox group, she surprised me by saying that she too has been to Chabad events and absolutely loves them.

As far as how they respond to someone not yet Jewish, I wouldn't know for sure, but I would guess that they would be welcoming of your interest. I can say for certain they will not try to convert you to the Orthodox branch, as we have a few converts (theyve brought it up in discussion), and they are decidedly not Orthodox.

The Chabad rabbi is so wonderful. I remember last Passover when I wasn't able to go to my parents' house (long story) and went to the Chabad Seder. I told the rabbi how great it was that I had a place to go for Seder, and he said...."You have more than a place with us. You have a home."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 05:08 PM
 
760 posts, read 88,064 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
OK, I thought I'd put in my two cents here too.

I'm a traditional Conservative Jew - keep kosher but drive to shul type of observance - and I became involved with the local Chabad a little over a year ago. I have found them to be very warm and welcoming with no "judgment" about my degree of observance (or anyone else's). In fact, they are the nicest, most supportive Rabbi and Rebbetzin I have ever come across. When I mentioned this to a Reform friend of mine, half-expecting her to shrink back and jokingly remark about my involvement with such an Orthodox group, she surprised me by saying that she too has been to Chabad events and absolutely loves them.

As far as how they respond to someone not yet Jewish, I wouldn't know for sure, but I would guess that they would be welcoming of your interest. I can say for certain they will not try to convert you to the Orthodox branch, as we have a few converts (theyve brought it up in discussion), and they are decidedly not Orthodox.

The Chabad rabbi is so wonderful. I remember last Passover when I wasn't able to go to my parents' house (long story) and went to the Chabad Seder. I told the rabbi how great it was that I had a place to go for Seder, and he said...."You have more than a place with us. You have a home."

I think Chabad is great, too! My favorite Lubavitcher is Rabbi Yehuda Pevsner, who is with NYC's West Village Jewish Center and who tootles around Manhattan in his Mitzvah Tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 08:32 PM
 
Location: small Southern town balabusta
1,182 posts, read 1,446,445 times
Reputation: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
OK, I thought I'd put in my two cents here too.



As far as how they respond to someone not yet Jewish, I wouldn't know for sure, but I would guess that they would be welcoming of your interest. I can say for certain they will not try to convert you to the Orthodox branch, as we have a few converts (theyve brought it up in discussion), and they are decidedly not Orthodox.
."


As far as I know, they will not recognize a non-Orthodox conversion. If the OP wants to stay with the Chassids, she and her husband will both have to convert to remain there as Jews. If one undergoes a Conservative or Reform conversion, the Chassids will be polite, but the Jews by Choice will never be Jewish to the Chassids without that conversion. Of course, if I remember correctly, PM's great grandmother was Jewish, so that may be enough for them if the lineage can be traced. AFAIK, a maternal Jewish great grandmother who converted to Christianity is still a Jew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 08:37 PM
 
59 posts, read 11,240 times
Reputation: 15
That was funny. It reminded me of “ Fiddler on the roof”, where Tevye and Lazar were talking about his daughter Tzeitel. Tevye thought he was talking about his milk cow. Lazar goes “ Is that what you call her?” Tevye then says “ Well, that’s what she is, what else am I supposed to call her?”
The cow does have what sounds like a German accent.
I love those cows, looks like the ones we saw in Austria. They’re pretty , with big brown eyes.
We went to Austria when we were stationed in England.
I love Parsha videos. Bim Bam is for kids, but I can watch them all day. I never saw this one though.
That Rabbi is funny.
I like the PocketTorah app too. It has the translation on it too.
It has regular Hebrew and the one with the crowns on the letters also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2019, 08:39 PM
 
3,847 posts, read 760,055 times
Reputation: 2737
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
As far as I know, they will not recognize a non-Orthodox conversion. If the OP wants to stay with the Chassids, she and her husband will both have to convert to remain there as Jews. If one undergoes a Conservative or Reform conversion, the Chassids will be polite, but the Jews by Choice will never be Jewish to the Chassids without that conversion. Of course, if I remember correctly, PM's great grandmother was Jewish, so that may be enough for them if the lineage can be traced. AFAIK, a maternal Jewish great grandmother who converted to Christianity is still a Jew.
I question whether that's true. We have a couple of people in my Chabad who converted to Judaism, and they are not Orthodox. (They wear shorts and short-sleeve tops to class, for example, and they certainly drive to services.) They seem to be as warmly accepted as anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top