U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 08:59 PM

59 posts, read 11,240 times

Advertisements

I don’t know which movement my great grandmother was originally. She came from the Netherlands. I don’t know which movement it was though. My sister just found this out on one of the DNA sites.
I think at least one of her brother stayed Jewish. She had 9 brothers and sisters though.
I’m kind of leery of those though. If I find out that’s true though, I still want a conversion, where I have to go in the Mikva and get a certificate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:15 PM

760 posts, read 88,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I question whether that's true. We have a couple of people in my Chabad who converted to Judaism, and they are not Orthodox. (They wear shorts and short-sleeve tops to class, for example, and they certainly drive to services.) They seem to be as warmly accepted as anyone else.

Chabad doesn't distinguish between the various branches of Judaism. To Chabadniks, "A Jew is a Jew is a Jew."

Having said that, Chabadniks do insist that a Jewish convert must have a conversion according to halacha: "..if you didn't have a rabbi that believes in the absolute binding nature of Torah law upon every Jew, then he cannot bind you to the Torah either." https://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/arti...Conversion.htm

Here's an article from Chabad that y'all may enjoy reading: "How Are We to View Jews by Choice?"
https://www.chabad.org/parshah/artic...-by-Choice.htm

It speaks of how Jews by Choice have a place of exceptional honor and recognition in Judaism.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:54 AM

3,991 posts, read 3,372,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
As far as I know, they will not recognize a non-Orthodox conversion. If the OP wants to stay with the Chassids, she and her husband will both have to convert to remain there as Jews. If one undergoes a Conservative or Reform conversion, the Chassids will be polite, but the Jews by Choice will never be Jewish to the Chassids without that conversion. Of course, if I remember correctly, PM's great grandmother was Jewish, so that may be enough for them if the lineage can be traced. AFAIK, a maternal Jewish great grandmother who converted to Christianity is still a Jew.
Chana is correct. Chabad will not count these men in a minyan, but theyíll certainly be polite in hopes that their participation will inspire them towards a fully halachiclly acceptable conversion one day. And for clarity, itís not the Chabad rabbis who donít recognize the conversion. Itís the Torah.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:26 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,446,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
I donít know which movement my great grandmother was originally. She came from the Netherlands. I donít know which movement it was though. My sister just found this out on one of the DNA sites.
I think at least one of her brother stayed Jewish. She had 9 brothers and sisters though.
Iím kind of leery of those though. If I find out thatís true though, I still want a conversion, where I have to go in the Mikva and get a certificate.

Yes. I think even more than the mikvah and the certificate is the robustness of learning and the wonderful perspective on it that you will get from the Rabbi. Although it certainly sounds like you've been doing a LOT of prior learning!

Old 08-15-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Chabad doesn't distinguish between the various branches of Judaism. To Chabadniks, "A Jew is a Jew is a Jew."

Having said that, Chabadniks do insist that a Jewish convert must have a conversion according to halacha: "..if you didn't have a rabbi that believes in the absolute binding nature of Torah law upon every Jew, then he cannot bind you to the Torah either." https://www.chabad.org/kabbalah/arti...Conversion.htm

Here's an article from Chabad that y'all may enjoy reading: "How Are We to View Jews by Choice?"
https://www.chabad.org/parshah/artic...-by-Choice.htm

It speaks of how Jews by Choice have a place of exceptional honor and recognition in Judaism.

Thank you! Going to bookmark.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:46 PM

421 posts, read 129,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Chana is correct. Chabad will not count these men in a minyan, but theyíll certainly be polite in hopes that their participation will inspire them towards a fully halachiclly acceptable conversion one day. And for clarity, itís not the Chabad rabbis who donít recognize the conversion. Itís the Torah.
Worth repeating.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Worth repeating.

Why? The statements stand on their own merit.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:09 AM

421 posts, read 129,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Why? The statements stand on their own merit.
Of course they do. That is why they are worth repeating.

Perhaps you are asking what my two words add to the thread. If so, my answer is that they add public approval of the post. As you may have noted, this set of fora has no provision for "likes" like some fora do. Rather, there is privately awarded "reputation." However, I cannot do even that, since I have not awarded "reputation" to enough sundry folks since I last did so to TFF. One must work within the rules.

Does this answer your question?

Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM

3,847 posts, read 760,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
But here's the question: How would the Rabbi KNOW that the man did not have a halachically "kosher" conversion? If a convert shows up and presents himself as Jewish (which of course he considers himself to be), I cannot see how anyone can distinguish.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 PM

28,183 posts, read 15,234,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
But here's the question: How would the Rabbi KNOW that the man did not have a halachically "kosher" conversion? If a convert shows up and presents himself as Jewish (which of course he considers himself to be), I cannot see how anyone can distinguish.
By asking to see their membership card that is issued with each halachic conversion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or