U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 12:14 AM

40 posts, read 8,989 times

Advertisements

Hello , everyone! I have a few questions. I was waiting for Shabbat to be over first, especially this week.
Iíve been studying Judaism on my own for 2 years now. Iím interested mainly in the Conservative movement. Iíve been streaming a couple of services and follow along with my own Siddur and Chumash. ( I have the Conservative as well as the Orthodox sets)
There are no Conservative synagogues nearby . We do have Chabad, but people tell me that they only cater to college aged students and young families.
I have been getting E- mails from them everyday, as well as ď The ScrollĒ weekly newsletter in the mail, that follows the weekly Parasha.I also have been supporting the ďJNFĒ, and a couple of learning web sites.
Can anyone visit a Chabad for learning, if youíre not Jewish yet?
I want to visit a Conservative synagogue, but nervous about it.
I think this is a nice time to get finally get the courage and just do it.
Rosh Ha Shanah is coming up ,as well as Simchat Torah, where the New Year starts again , as well as the Torah cycle .
Id like to finally be around a community and learn in person. I know Iím not pronouncing the blessings and prayers properly.
Whatís the proper protocol on visiting a synagogue? Should I send an E- to the Rabbi , so theyíll know Iím coming?
Do they really assign someone to sit next to you and explain the service?
My husband wants to go too though, is that OK?
I also canít find any Judaism 101 courses near me that we can attend.
Thanks for any answers and reading this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:08 AM

729 posts, read 81,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
Hello , everyone! I have a few questions. I was waiting for Shabbat to be over first, especially this week.

Hi, Pumpkin mouse. Welcome to the Judaism forum!

Quote:
I have a few questions. I was waiting for Shabbat to be over first, especially this week.
I’ve been studying Judaism on my own for 2 years now. I’m interested mainly in the Conservative movement. I’ve been streaming a couple of services and follow along with my own Siddur and Chumash. ( I have the Conservative as well as the Orthodox sets)

There are no Conservative synagogues nearby . We do have Chabad, but people tell me that they only cater to college aged students and young families.
Chabad welcomes all Jews regardless of age or affiliation, and Chabad's outreach programs extend to Jews of all ages.

Quote:
Can anyone visit a Chabad for learning, if you’re not Jewish yet?
Chabad offers audios courses in the Noahide Laws for non-Jews. You should directly contact the Chabad House nearest you to see what they may offer for you, as Chabad Houses may differ in what they can do depending on resources available to them.

Quote:
I want to visit a Conservative synagogue, but nervous about it.
I think this is a nice time to get finally get the courage and just do it.
Rosh Ha Shanah is coming up ,as well as Simchat Torah, where the New Year starts again , as well as the Torah cycle .
Unless you have a membership with a synagogue, the High Holy Days are not the best time for you to consider attending a synagogue to see what it's like. Just about every Jew goes to synagogue for the High Holy Days and, because of the large crowds anticipated, seating is generally contingent on dues-paying, synagogue membership.

Quote:
Id like to finally be around a community and learn in person. I know I’m not pronouncing the blessings and prayers properly.
What’s the proper protocol on visiting a synagogue? Should I send an E- to the Rabbi , so they’ll know I’m coming?
Yes, definitely inform the Rabbi or the synagogue's office of your intentions. Don't just show up at the door.

Quote:
Do they really assign someone to sit next to you and explain the service?
I've never heard of that. I should think that it depends on the individual synagogue, but it would seem to me to be disrespectful for someone to be giving a running commentary throughout a religious service.

Quote:
My husband wants to go too though, is that OK?
If it's okay for you as a non-Jew to go, I don't see why it shouldn't be okay for your husband to go, as well. He would, of course, be expected to wear a head covering (kippah), and he would probably be offered one to borrow before entering the sanctuary.

Quote:
I also can’t find any Judaism 101 courses near me that we can attend.
Are you looking to convert to Judaism? For that you should contact a rabbi. There are many rabbis that offer classes for non-Jews who seriously seek to convert to Judaism. A lot of these courses can be taken online, but bear in mind that whether you take a course online, or in an actual classroom, or through regular meetings between just yourself and a rabbi, there will be a fee.

Quote:
Thanks for any answers and reading this.
You're welcome! I'm sure you'll get more helpful answers and advice from this forum. Good luck to you!

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 08-12-2019 at 04:21 AM..

Old 08-12-2019, 05:06 AM

32,313 posts, read 33,213,031 times
I agree the High Holy Days (Rosh Hashana & Yom Kippur) one can't just show up at synagogue as most synagogues in the USA won't allow one to enter without showing a ticket that one has purchased seats for the High Holy Days. I remember one year my dad last minute decided to go to NYC for Rosh Hashana and had to go to a few synagogues before finally he found one that allowed him to pray without having purchased a seat in advance. The synagogues that denied him had non-Jewish security guards that simply told him no ticket no entrance and there was nobody to appeal to. The synagogue that allowed him to pray there was a smaller one of a community of Jews from the former USSR (probably from Uzbekistan) and he said that everyone seemed to know each other there. They were traditional and of course would allow a visiting Jew from outside the area to pray there without advance reservation.

Also I think the OP should definitely contact their local Chabad center as they do welcome everyone.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree the High Holy Days (Rosh Hashana & Yom Kippur) one can't just show up at synagogue as most synagogues in the USA won't allow one to enter without showing a ticket that one has purchased seats for the High Holy Days. I remember one year my dad last minute decided to go to NYC for Rosh Hashana and had to go to a few synagogues before finally he found one that allowed him to pray without having purchased a seat in advance. The synagogues that denied him had non-Jewish security guards that simply told him no ticket no entrance and there was nobody to appeal to. The synagogue that allowed him to pray there was a smaller one of a community of Jews from the former USSR (probably from Uzbekistan) and he said that everyone seemed to know each other there. They were traditional and of course would allow a visiting Jew from outside the area to pray there without advance reservation.

Also I think the OP should definitely contact their local Chabad center as they do welcome everyone.

Yep. I've got my High Holy Days tickets already -- they were mailed to me because I belong to a synagogue and my dues are paid up to date. Members also receive a written reminder with their tickets stating that there will be security guards who won't know us, so that's why it's important to bring our tickets.

@Pumpkin mouse: Based on the tickets I have, I would suggest you avoid showing up at a synagogue on the following days, as the synagogue you choose most likely will issue tickets for these same days and services as well:

Sunday evening, Sept. 29th (Erev Rosh Hashanah)
Monday, Sept. 30th and Tuesday, Oct. 1st (Rosh Hashanah)
Tuesday evening, Oct. 8th (Kol Nidre)
Wednesday, Oct. 9th (Yom Kippur Morning, Minchah, and Neilah Services)

After service on the morning of October 1st our congregation heads to a local lake for Tashlich.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:32 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,402,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I've never heard of that. I should think that it depends on the individual synagogue, but it would seem to me to be disrespectful for someone to be giving a running commentary throughout a religious service.
I used to do this at my last synagogue. It wasn't a continuous dialogue, but a basic rundown of how to use the siddur, the order of prayers, etc.

Most of it occurred prior to the service starting.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
I used to do this at my last synagogue. It wasn't a continuous dialogue, but a basic rundown of how to use the siddur, the order of prayers, etc.

Most of it occurred prior to the service starting.

That's lovely that you did that for people, JB! I'll have to find out if we do something similar in my congregation.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Thanks guys. I’ve been shy my whole life. I just get nervous going to new places, especially something that I’m serious about.
I didn’t mean I wanted to go right on the High Holidays, as I know how hard the tickets are to get.
I wouldn’t hog up a seat anyway, from someone who’s already Jewish.

I just meant it’s a good time to finally get the courage to go , since the Torah and cycle will be starting all over.
( After the High holidays) . They’ll still be on Bereishis
I have a service in NYC that I stream, so I’m happy that I have that.

I haven’t been to any religious services for about 25 years now. We’d like to start getting religion back in our life. We definitely know it’s not Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism ( though I do meditate, but don’t have Buddhist beliefs).
I’ve always liked Judaism, but thought you had to be born or marry into it. I found out I that my great grandma was Jewish, but she converted to Christianity , so that’s giving me a reason to go .
I still feel like I don’t deserve or are worthy to go ( can’t think of right word)

Old 08-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys. Iíve been shy my whole life. I just get nervous going to new places, especially something that Iím serious about.
I didnít mean I wanted to go right on the High Holidays, as I know how hard the tickets are to get.
I wouldnít hog up a seat anyway, from someone whoís already Jewish.

I just meant itís a good time to finally get the courage to go , since the Torah and cycle will be starting all over.
( After the High holidays) . Theyíll still be on Bereishis

No worries. We get it.

Quote:
I have a service in NYC that I stream, so Iím happy that I have that.
Is that Central Synagogue's service that you stream?

Quote:
I havenít been to any religious services for about 25 years now. Weíd like to start getting religion back in our life. We definitely know itís not Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism ( though I do meditate, but donít have Buddhist beliefs).
Iíve always liked Judaism, but thought you had to be born or marry into it. I found out I that my great grandma was Jewish, but she converted to Christianity , so thatís giving me a reason to go .
I still feel like I donít deserve or are worthy to go ( canít think of right word)
Of course you are worthy! If this is what your soul yearns for, then this is what you must do.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:02 AM

B’nai Jeshurun. I love that synagogue. I used to watch Park Avenue, until I found that one.
I love the Rabbi, the Cantor, the music and architecture.
They’re from Argentina. I like more traditional services.
There’s one big synagogue in NY that’s kind of churchy that I don’t like.
They say that most people who attend synagogue are older( I notice that when I’m streaming), so we’ll blend in.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
B’nai Jeshurun. I love that synagogue. I used to watch Park Avenue, until I found that one.
I love the Rabbi, the Cantor, the music and architecture.
They’re from Argentina. I like more traditional services.
There’s one big synagogue in NY that’s kind of churchy that I don’t like.
They say that most people who attend synagogue are older( I notice that when I’m streaming), so we’ll blend in.

I wasn't aware that they live-stream their services! I just went to their home page and bookmarked the live stream link. I've never been in that synagogue, but I really am intrigued with the architecture you mentioned, especially this description of the ceiling (from Wikipedia): "a future-invoking space frame back-lit to simulate a nighttime sky." That sounds kind of like a planetarium!

I noticed that this very old synagogue is nowadays unaffiliated and independent of any particular branch of Judaism (having broken away from the Conservative movement).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or