U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,443,031 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm rereading Pirkei Avos. I want to make small marks in pencil in the book. I know we would not do that to a Siddur, but is this permissible in Pirkei Avos?
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

13,161 posts, read 13,756,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Hi all,
I'm rereading Pirkei Avos. I want to make small marks in pencil in the book. I know we would not do that to a Siddur, but is this permissible in Pirkei Avos?
I write in my books. I write prayers and insights in my books.
I have read that the sages wrote in their books including siddurim, for instance the names of those to remember in prayer.

I do this in my own copies, not in books that belong to other people.

Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,443,031 times
Oh! Cool! I learned from someone (not sure whom) that writing in any of the books was considered horrible. I find my knowledge lacking when I cannot even write in small pencil marks, though.

Thanks!

Old Today, 11:03 AM

3,983 posts, read 3,365,687 times
You should how marked up all my Gamaras are. For sure you can write in them, assuming you own them.

Old Today, 02:55 PM

413 posts, read 127,618 times
I'm kind of ignorant, but I think one is not supposed to mark through the original, but only add. Anyone know for sure?

Old Today, 03:58 PM

721 posts, read 81,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
I'm kind of ignorant, but I think one is not supposed to mark through the original, but only add. Anyone know for sure?

That sounds right, to me. I frequently add notes in the margins of pages in books, but I wouldn't mark through the original words in the book. That would be like changing what was originally written, instead of just adding one's own, helpful notes.

I'm using Kindle more these days, and you can electronically add your own notes to a book on Kindle. You can also electronically "erase" your notes if you choose to do so, if you feel a need to revise what you previously noted. I also like the way you can highlight passages in Kindle, as well as bookmark.

Old Today, 06:04 PM

34 posts, read 8,665 times
I write notes in my regular books, on the side or margins. I also highlight books, so when I want to reread it or look something up, I only have to reread the highlighted parts.
Most of my notes are like comments or agreements with what’s written.
My good books, I don’t write in ,because I want to keep them pristine; that’s just me though.
It’s kind of like my own commentaries.
Siddurim, My Chumash, etc, I don't write in.
There’s really no room anyways to write because they already have commentaries written in them,of course.
My ArtScroll books, I don’t write in because they’re too nice to write in.
I do have 3 note books that I’ve been writing notes in too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism