U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM

3,987 posts, read 3,367,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
John Lennon, great man, shot in the back, terrible tragedy...
Interesting guy for sure. But wanted to murder Hashem - not a Jewish role model IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

28,137 posts, read 15,204,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Interesting guy for sure. But wanted to murder Hashem - not a Jewish role model IMO.
Do what?...How?...

Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM

738 posts, read 83,165 times
Quote:
John Lennon wasn't Jewish so he didn't view HaShem in the same way that we do. He didn't want to "murder" anyone – neither G-d nor any of G-d's children.

John Lennon was against organized religion because he saw it as being divisive. He had his own views about who and what G-d is, and he followed a spiritual path.

It may not be our path, but it didn't make John Lennon a bad person. Same with many others who don't follow the Jewish religion (or even any religion at all).

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
John Lennon wasn't Jewish so he didn't view HaShem in the same way that we do. He didn't want to "murder" anyone – neither G-d nor any of G-d's children.

John Lennon was against organized religion because he saw it as being divisive. He had his own views about who and what G-d is, and he followed a spiritual path.

It may not be our path, but it didn't make John Lennon a bad person. Same with many others who don't follow the Jewish religion (or even any religion at all).

Agreed. However, from a hashkofic viewpoint, G-d fearing Jews must be very careful to not publicly admire people with views antithetical to our Torah view, like Mr Lennon. Not a bad guy, but certainly not someone to be admired as a role model of any sort.

Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Agreed. However, from a hashkofic viewpoint, G-d fearing Jews must be very careful to not publicly admire people with views antithetical to our Torah view, like Mr Lennon. Not a bad guy, but certainly not someone to be admired as a role model of any sort.

I can think of a lot of things that John Lennon did in his life that I don't feel are worthy of my admiration. I can also think of things that he did that ARE worthy of my admiration – especially as a Jew.

We are all flawed human beings. Including those of us who pride themselves on being G-d fearing.

Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Thanks, JB. Is it a lot different by hand than with the Kitchen Aid? My mother and I used to bake by hand when I was young, and I'll admit, it takes some of the joy out of it when I have to do it now.

Hey, Chana! I'm going to buy a Kitchen Aid and try baking my own challah! Is there a particular model that you recommend? I checked on Amazon and I saw there are a few different ones.

I want to bake challah with raisins in it -- does that require a particular model? (As you can probably tell, I'm not much of a cook! LOL)

Anyone else have any advice on Kitchen Aids or similar appliances?

Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I personally find his song “Imagine” to be disgusting and dangerous to a Jewish outlook. Sadly, most Jews could probably recognize that song but have never heard of Adon Olam or tzur mishelo.

Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I personally find his song “Imagine” to be disgusting and dangerous to a Jewish outlook. Sadly, most Jews could probably recognize that song but have never heard of Adon Olam or tzur mishelo.

My "all you knead is love" challah pun was intended to amuse Richard. So sorry that it triggered you.

Old Today, 06:11 AM

28,137 posts, read 15,204,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
My "all you knead is love" challah pun was intended to amuse Richard. So sorry that it triggered you.
Ok...I’m amused...

Old Today, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1965 View Post
ok...i’m amused...

LOL!

Hey, you started with the challah puns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism