U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2019, 07:57 PM

21,426 posts, read 24,321,749 times

Advertisements

Any way you slice it, from delicatessen to BBQ smoker, this meat is a cut above

https://www.timesofisrael.com/any-wa...s-a-cut-above/
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 03:17 PM

12,148 posts, read 16,895,967 times
I still dream about the halva stands in the shuk in Jerusalem. I must have bought 6 different flavors - including an apricot halva that's to die for. It was soft, almost creamy, didn't stick to your teeth... just marvelous. If anyone knows of people in the states who make halva and will ship it, I'm all ears!

One of the most interesting Jewish restaurants I've been to was in San Cristobal de las Casas in Chiapas, Mexico. It's far off the beaten track for most tourists. I was there while studying abroad in Oaxaca on a short excursion to meet with indigenous activists in the area, and could not anticipate running into an Israeli couple running a small restaurant. They made Israeli favorites like falafel and tahini on homemade pita bread, had homemade yogurt, and did lots of fruit salads. It was perfect after quite a few of the people with me, including myself, developed serious food poisoning and needed some easy to eat foods for a few days. The couple told me they were traveling after their IDF service, fell in love with the area, and decided to open up a Kosher-style restaurant for other Israelis who traveled in the area. It looks like there's even a Chabad there to help serve the Israeli tourists who come through. The next nearest Jewish community is really Mexico City, where I had fabulous rabbinically approved Kosher tacos from a stand.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:21 PM

1,420 posts, read 510,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I still dream about the halva stands in the shuk in Jerusalem. I must have bought 6 different flavors - including an apricot halva that's to die for. It was soft, almost creamy, didn't stick to your teeth... just marvelous. If anyone knows of people in the states who make halva and will ship it, I'm all ears!
The stand that most people remember from the shuk is Halva Kingdom (https://en.machne.co.il/category/the-halva-kingdom) . Some products have been available at the Shoprite around me (northern NJ).

Old 08-21-2019, 03:25 AM

28,191 posts, read 15,243,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The stand that most people remember from the shuk is Halva Kingdom (https://en.machne.co.il/category/the-halva-kingdom) . Some products have been available at the Shoprite around me (northern NJ).
Ahh, Shop-Rite, fond memories shopping there with Grammy when I was a child...Down south here we have Harris Teeter that has a Jewish section in the international aisle and a frozen food section over in frozen foods...There are Halva in the Jewish aisle...

Old 08-21-2019, 04:06 AM

773 posts, read 90,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Ahh, Shop-Rite, fond memories shopping there with Grammy when I was a child...Down south here we have Harris Teeter that has a Jewish section in the international aisle and a frozen food section over in frozen foods...There are Halva in the Jewish aisle...

I buy my weekly loaf of fresh-baked challah from my local ShopRite. I've never looked for halva in the store, but maybe I will now!

Old 08-21-2019, 04:33 AM

1,420 posts, read 510,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I buy my weekly loaf of fresh-baked challah from my local ShopRite. I've never looked for halva in the store, but maybe I will now!
They probably won't have anything other than the standard joyva brand, but you can ask for a special order and see what happens>

Old 08-21-2019, 06:23 AM

21,426 posts, read 24,321,749 times
Quote:
They probably won't have anything other than the standard joyva brand, but you can ask for a special order and see what happens>
No, some also carry the Arabic brands in plastic containers. If one wants the real stuff in blocks then they'd need to go to the independent shops on Kings Hwy in Brooklyn.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:56 AM

773 posts, read 90,882 times
Are we hungry for halva, yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cdA...ature=youtu.be

Old 08-21-2019, 01:55 PM

12,148 posts, read 16,895,967 times
Quote:

THANK YOU! A quick Google found me a whole range of prepackaged options from Halva Kingdom that will ship. Not that me or my waistline needs a bucket of halva, but it's nice to know that we have options!

I used to pick up some fresh, locally made halva at an Armenian grocery store, but I've moved further out into the burbs and can't get to the shop so easily anymore. I meet another local woman who sold homemade halva at farmer's markets, but after a few tries of different kinds, they all seemed to be too crunchy/sticky for my taste. Who knew I would grow to be such a halva connoisseur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
No, some also carry the Arabic brands in plastic containers. If one wants the real stuff in blocks then they'd need to go to the independent shops on Kings Hwy in Brooklyn.

Here in Massachusetts, most stores have a Jewish section with Joyva halva in marble, but no Arabic section. Not more options even in Wegman's! And don't get me started on grocery stores' decisions to have milk and dark chocolate Elite bars but not the one with the pop rocks.

Old Today, 09:14 AM

56 posts, read 19,316 times
I'm rather liking Cecil's in St. Paul. I can get kishke, hamentaschen year round, and tasty deli fare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or