U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 04:02 PM

56,956 posts, read 55,264,892 times

Advertisements

Why is a goy poster with the delusional handle of "Mighty Queen" starting a thread on Jewish food in the Judaism forum, you ask?

It's a continuation of a discussion in the "Ask A Jew" thread in which some of us in the NY/NJ metro area were talking about favorite foods, grocery stores, and restaurants/delis available in the area. I noted that when searching for vege- or pescatarian choices, I found that kosher delis and markets offered a good selection of meatless meals, more so than non-Jewish shops, and there are also small but interesting differences.

For example, at the small deli where I used to stop in the morning for breakfast, dairy was available, and therefore of course not meat. But, they had a full array of fresh chopped vegetables, some of which could be added to an omelet and some that was meant for a side salad. In non-kosher places, you rarely have the option to have salad bar ingredients at 8 a.m. I got in the habit of having scrambled eggs and salad for breakfast the two days a week I worked in Borough Park.

At any rate, that's the point of this thread, and everyone is welcome to join in. Share your favorite Jewish foods or restaurants or markets or what you think may be different about the way it is eaten or served.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. Rachel New York talked me into being the one to open the thread, so it's her fault.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:15 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,447,620 times
In a pinch, when you're sick and don't have time to cook, Manischewitz Matzoh Soup. Delicious and Kosher; also has no meat products in it (recipe does call for eggs, so not vegan).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:38 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,406,485 times
My current favorite in Manhattan is Pita Express at 15 Ann St. It's a meat restaurant with a great chicken shawarma in a pita with hummus and Israeli salad. Certification is from OU.

My favorite pizza place is Green Olive at 271-11 Union Turnpike in Queens (right before Lakewood Dr/Nassau County border).
They've got a potato pizza called "The Bomb" that is awesome. Certification is from Vaad haRabonim of Queens.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:09 AM

773 posts, read 90,882 times
Thanks for this topic, MQ!

I'd already mentioned My Most Favorite Food, located at 247 West 72nd Street in Manhattan. But I'll mention it again in this thread, because it's worth it.

MMFF started out as a kosher desserts shop, but then branched into serving kosher dairy meals. They still have fantastic, amazing desserts, and you can see and choose them from a big glass display case in the restaurant.

Doris Schechter started the restaurant, and she's also written a cookbook titled At Oma's Table: More Than 100 Recipes and Remembrances from a Jewish Family's Kitchen. You can get it from Amazon, and I highly recommend it:

https://www.amazon.com/At-Omas-Table...gateway&sr=8-1

Old 08-13-2019, 05:21 AM

32,386 posts, read 33,277,512 times
The Exclusive Glatt (Kosher) Supermarket on 99th Street (just behind the Tower Diner on Queens Blvd) in Rego Park, Queens has cooked food including a nice deli section and they open up at 8 AM except Saturdays and Jewish holidays. So one could do a takeout of either meat, fish or vegetarian (meaning salads) food from their cooked food/deli section easily even for breakfast if one wanted to.

Although it isn't Thanksgiving now, the Cho-Sen restaurant in Forest Hills offers a takeout option of a glatt kosher Thanksgiving meal complete with traditional American style turkey but with Chinese style sides.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:50 AM

21,426 posts, read 24,321,749 times
A taste of Israel, in London and Jerusalem

https://www.theweek.co.uk/102768/a-t...-and-jerusalem

Old 08-14-2019, 12:18 PM

13,264 posts, read 3,362,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why is a goy poster with the delusional handle of "Mighty Queen" starting a thread on Jewish food in the Judaism forum, you ask?

It's a continuation of a discussion in the "Ask A Jew" thread in which some of us in the NY/NJ metro area were talking about favorite foods, grocery stores, and restaurants/delis available in the area. I noted that when searching for vege- or pescatarian choices, I found that kosher delis and markets offered a good selection of meatless meals, more so than non-Jewish shops, and there are also small but interesting differences.

For example, at the small deli where I used to stop in the morning for breakfast, dairy was available, and therefore of course not meat. But, they had a full array of fresh chopped vegetables, some of which could be added to an omelet and some that was meant for a side salad. In non-kosher places, you rarely have the option to have salad bar ingredients at 8 a.m. I got in the habit of having scrambled eggs and salad for breakfast the two days a week I worked in Borough Park.

At any rate, that's the point of this thread, and everyone is welcome to join in. Share your favorite Jewish foods or restaurants or markets or what you think may be different about the way it is eaten or served.

Oh yes, I almost forgot. Rachel New York talked me into being the one to open the thread, so it's her fault.
You've had me pondering the "delusional handle" for awhile now. Funny. Thanks for that. As for the rest...

My wife is a vegetarian, so I can relate to the challenge of finding meatless meals on most menus that are not strictly vegetarian. Most of the time my wife finds her choice less than delicious. Accordingly, I read your comment and start to wonder if maybe "Jewish shops" might provide a better offering for her. Any recommendations in the SF Bay Area? As a rule, we love eating at all variety of ethnic restaurants.

On the other hand, I cook vegetarian meals for my wife all the time. She loves my chili reyenos for example, and my pasta sauce that involves no meat. For my wife anyway, it seems more a matter of using all-fresh ingredients, no meat of course, and/or not much in the way of rich sauces that restaurants are inclined to use to win the "taste test." Most of the better markets around here offer much in the way of meat and/or non-meat products, so there I/we don't have much problem as a rule no matter what we're looking for.

Old 08-14-2019, 12:33 PM

4,516 posts, read 3,811,351 times
Manny's Cafeteria & Delicatessen

https://www.mannysdeli.com/menus-all

Discovered this gem after I had gotten turned around driving somewhere else.

If I could have, I would likely have eaten there most days of the week when I was living in Chicago...absolutely delish!

Old 08-14-2019, 05:25 PM

21,426 posts, read 24,321,749 times
New restaurant in Amsterdam: Meat Me Kosher

New restaurant in Amsterdam: Meat Me Kosher - Israel National News

Old 08-15-2019, 05:01 AM

32,386 posts, read 33,277,512 times
When I visited Guayaquil, Ecuador just over 3 years ago, I discovered the newly opened Kosher Pita Restaurant there. This was the first kosher restaurant ever opened in Ecuador. I only had some desserts there with some Ecuadorian non-Jewish friends. Although we only ordered takeout the owner upon hearing my Israeli Hebrew immediately had his staff give us a nice table with a view of the street in the upstairs dining area to eat our desserts. So I would recommend this place for anyone who gets to that area.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Province.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or