U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM

738 posts, read 84,156 times

Advertisements

The holiday began this evening and will end tomorrow evening (Aug. 16th), and it's all about love. I have read that, in the olde days, the daughters of Jerusalem would go out on this day to dance in the vineyards by the light of the full moon. And the sons of Jerusalem would also go to the vineyards to choose their brides. That's all supposed to be in the Talmud, but I don't know exactly where. If anybody knows, I'd appreciate your input!

I wish you all a very happy Tu b'Av!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

63 posts, read 9,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post

Same to you my friend. The Safaria app for Tu b'Av has about 15 total entries. Pretty interesting reading material.

Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM

21,410 posts, read 24,285,473 times
THE DAY OF LOVE: TU BE’AV IN JEWISH HISTORY

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Th...history-598734

Old Today, 12:00 PM

15,229 posts, read 5,093,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
The holiday began this evening and will end tomorrow evening (Aug. 16th), and it's all about love. I have read that, in the olde days, the daughters of Jerusalem would go out on this day to dance in the vineyards by the light of the full moon. And the sons of Jerusalem would also go to the vineyards to choose their brides. That's all supposed to be in the Talmud, but I don't know exactly where. If anybody knows, I'd appreciate your input!

One of my favorites, I assumed it came from Benjamin almost being wiped out because dude split that concubine in pieces and sent her body parts to all Israel to show the heinous acts of Benjamin to a brethren traveler, wierd story.

Israel almost wiped Benjamin out and Israel had sworn not to give it's daughters to marry men of Benjamin, but the tribe had to be replinished.

Benjamin was almost wiped out and all the tribes had sworn not to let their daughters marry any man from Benjamin, and so the idea of taking brides from the spiritual gatherings of Israel was invented, the women were to be taken so that the fathers didn't break their word. It is the most romantic thing, really. Really a symbolic thing to me, about how the nation of Israel might take brides from the people who came up to celebrate holy days of Israel.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; Today at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or