U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:18 PM

795 posts, read 93,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Love you JB. But totally wrong. Nobody should believe this.

Chabad disagrees. Rabbi Tzvi Freeman can be read at this link:

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...n-Anything.htm

Person posing the question says that he is not Jewish. Neither is his mother a practicing Jew. His maternal grandmother was Jewish. Chabad says the guy is Jewish nonetheless, through an unbroken maternal line.

From Rabbi Menachem Posner of Chabad:

https://www.chabad.org/library/artic...I-Am-a-Jew.htm

The problem comes into play when a person is required to provide documentation of his Jewish maternal ancestry.

But maybe you can explain what circumstances might exist whereby an unbroken maternal line might not count? I'd be interested to hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:19 PM

1,741 posts, read 1,407,886 times
Quote:
Love you JB. But totally wrong. Nobody should believe this.
Are you saying that patrelinial descent is valid, and if your mother's mother is Jewish you are not?

Old Today, 01:09 PM

4,005 posts, read 3,376,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
Are you saying that patrelinial descent is valid, and if your mother's mother is Jewish you are not?
No. Patriliniage is not considered halachically valid and is only accepted in the most liberal progressive Jewish environments. The Torah flat out rejects it.

I’m saying if one claims their grandmother was Jewish, without documents to prove it, they would still need to go through an Orthodox conversion to be universally accepted as a Jew.

Interestingly, I saw a case like this recently. Grandmother was a machir at the large Reform local shul. The social hall bears her name to this day. Her Jewish son married a goy. They raised their son Catholic, and as a young adult, he became a rodeif (an attacker) of my shul, going so far as to sue the shul and try to have us removed from the neighborhood. It’s amazing how this intermarriage produced an anti Semite only 2 generations removed from his grandmother, the community Jewish leader and philanthropist.

According to Chabad, he’d be considered a Jew? Feh.

Old Today, 01:20 PM

Quote:
No. Patriliniage is not considered halachically valid and is only accepted in the most liberal progressive Jewish environments. The Torah flat out rejects it.

Im saying if one claims their grandmother was Jewish, without documents to prove it, they would still need to go through an Orthodox conversion to be universally accepted as a Jew.

Interestingly, I saw a case like this recently. Grandmother was a machir at the large Reform local shul. The social hall bears her name to this day. Her Jewish son married a goy. They raised their son Catholic, and as a young adult, he became a rodeif (an attacker) of my shul, going so far as to sue the shul and try to have us removed from the neighborhood. Its amazing how this intermarriage produced an anti Semite only 2 generations removed from his grandmother, the community Jewish leader and philanthropist.

According to Chabad, hed be considered a Jew? Feh.
My post was simple:
1. An unbroken maternal line is needed.
2. Paterilineal descent is not valid.

Anything else you chose to read into it is on you.

Old Today, 01:28 PM

4,005 posts, read 3,376,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB from NC View Post
My post was simple:
1. An unbroken maternal line is needed.
Was that the case? I thought the mother was a practicing Chrstian?

Old Today, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Was that the case? I thought the mother was a practicing Chrstian?
I have no clue; I was stating to the OP what was needed to be considered Jewish.

Old Today, 01:44 PM

76 posts, read 13,222 times
I don’t really trust those DNA test. I did take one just for fun about 4 years ago.
Mine said 9%European Jewish. I got one test for my mother and she only had 5%, which I didn’t understand, since the other nationalities of hers, I got less, of course.
One of the other tests, I had 6%, and the other 11%.
My father died before I found out about these test. He would of loved it, since he was adapted and didn’t know his history. The countries that I had and my mom didn’t was Southern Germany, Austria, Hungary, Belarus, Poland, Ukraine , and Russia. I don’t like it when I just get the area and not just one country, because you know that you can’t have ALL of those countries.
I know that those were probably on my dad’s side. His blood mother’s surname was German, so that part is kind of scary on how they got that part right.
The countries for my mom that we already knew ,were spot on.
I don’t know where they got the Jewish from though. I think they just assumed because some of those countries had a Jewish population before Hitler, anyone from there must of been Jewish, which doesn’t make sense.
It did give me a reason that I could use on why I want to convert( because I have possible Jewish ancestors)
Of course, when I started reading, I found out that you didn’t have to be born into it ,or marrying into it,and that it wasn’t just an ethnicity ( like being Indian or Italian etc).
I never heard of the term “ Jew by choice “, didn’t think that was possible.

Old Today, 01:47 PM

Quote:
According to Chabad, he’d be considered a Jew? Feh.
I believe I quoted a bit from the Chabad rabbi stating that documentation is required to prove the Jewish line of maternal descent. Waitaminnit... Let me check...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
The problem comes into play when a person is required to provide documentation of his Jewish maternal ancestry.
Why, yes. Yes, I did say that! And I believe you stated basically the same thing about the need for documentation.

I guess you didn't quite read what I wrote.

Old Today, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
I never heard of the term “ Jew by choice “, didn’t think that was possible.
"Jew by choice" is just another way of saying "convert."

https://www.chabad.org/parshah/artic...-by-Choice.htm

Old Today, 01:58 PM

76 posts, read 13,222 times
What if you do have documentation, but you still want to study , to make sure you learn everything and especially learn how to pronounce Hebrew and learn the blessings correctly?
I want to experience the Mikva and get a certificate that I can frame ( or is that in bad taste?)
Would they still let you take classes and use the Mikva though ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or