U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 07:47 PM

1,218 posts, read 1,453,630 times

Advertisements

The poor OP's head is probably spinning right now.

It's always safe, since you asked, to check with a Rabbi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 07:48 PM

15,436 posts, read 5,160,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Thanks! Well, we would hope that the child would grow up to believe what his mother believes. Maybe if there is something to the story about a Jewish soul passing from mother to child, that would have an influence?
It is simply that every Jew born had already been alive before this earth was created, just my opinion.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:51 PM

858 posts, read 103,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
It is simply that every Jew born had already been alive before this earth was created, just my opinion.

I've heard that, too! That's supposed to tie in with where converts' Jewish souls come from.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:00 PM

99 posts, read 16,561 times
I’m trying to find the book where I read this. I remember vaguely what it said, but I could be remembering it wrong , or got it mixed up with another situation.
I think it said that it used to be through the father, but at that time( during captivity ?), women were being raped, so they couldn’t be sure who the father was.
I think that’s around the time period that they changed it.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:02 PM

1,218 posts, read 1,453,630 times
Quote:
I've heard that, too! That's supposed to tie in with where converts' Jewish souls come from.

It's very strange, because I'm a logical, scientific person. I cannot explain my obsession with Judaism since I was 6. Of course, I went to live with the Berkowitzes for a few weeks, but even then, I felt that I was "at home". I also love to speak Spanish (I learned in Central America and in college). I don't speak well anymore, and it frustrates me so much. The words are there, and they don't come out as easily anymore, but the core of my soul always has felt that I "should" be more fluent, and I can't get the words out. Like I said, I can't explain it, though.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:06 AM

28,230 posts, read 15,288,414 times
Quote:
Thanks! Well, we would hope that the child would grow up to believe what his mother believes. Maybe if there is something to the story about a Jewish soul passing from mother to child, that would have an influence?
I believe that the soul is who one is, one's identity...So that if the mother is TO then she would naturally pass this onto the child via maternal influence...

Old 08-27-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Rabbi! I remember also that the thing about the Jewish soul passing from mother to child also has something to do with why we pray for a person's recovery from illness using that person's mother's name instead of his father's. Whereas, on all legal documents (like the ketubah) we use the father's name. But, again, I'm not sure if I'm remembering this right.
I believe that tribal lineage is passed through the father, while Jewishness is passed through the mother...

Old 08-27-2019, 01:13 AM

Quote:
They were the ones that were drowned out by those who rejected the Torah when G-d offered it to others before offering it to Israel...

Old 08-27-2019, 07:50 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,529,656 times
Thanks for all the replies.

I remember an older Jewish congregant in a synagogue once telling me if you're part Jewish on your mother's side, some Jews don't even care if her mother's mother's mother, etc. was Jewish, and might see you as a Jew.

Although I attended an Orthodox shul, I am assuming he was talking about the Reform Jews.

Either way I am grateful to know that some of my ancestors are Jewish, even though I am not considered a Jew.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 PM

858 posts, read 103,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I remember an older Jewish congregant in a synagogue once telling me if you're part Jewish on your mother's side, some Jews don't even care if her mother's mother's mother, etc. was Jewish, and might see you as a Jew.

Although I attended an Orthodox shul, I am assuming he was talking about the Reform Jews.

Either way I am grateful to know that some of my ancestors are Jewish, even though I am not considered a Jew.

Whether you are a Jew or not, you're certainly welcome here on this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or