U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 07:00 AM

21,441 posts, read 24,397,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Richard, do you ever listen to New York Jewish radio? I was listening to a shiur tonight, and the speaker gave over the shiur (lamp) in full on Yeshivish (car engine). It was gorgeous to listen to. Youíll no longer have the opportunity to hear and learn it in this forum, though, from now on. But thatís a good thing. Some people decided.
So here is a perfect lesson of what I previously typed where the items in parenthesis are wrong.

shiur (lamp)

Shiur is a lesson on any Torah topic

Yeshivish (car engine)

Yeshivish, also known as Yeshiva English is a sociolect of English spoken by Yeshiva students and other Jews with a strong connection to the Orthodox Yeshiva world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I think everything will be just fine...
Please don't send me translation requests as I really don't want to do it again. Hopefully one of the new people here can translate Yeshivish Hebrew & Yiddish, American Hebrew & Yiddish, Israeli Hebrew & Torah Hebrew.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:24 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,388,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
So here is a perfect lesson of what I previously typed where the items in parenthesis are wrong.
Well Pruz says I donít know what the words I use mean, so I guess heís right. So how can we trust anybodyís translations?

I think in our case, the only proper solution is to punish everybody who attempts to use a foreign word. Or...people can google any word they want and be more sure of itís correct translation than trusting my seemingly wrong translations. Or maybe we should only let Rosends and Pruz translate? Perhaps theirs can be trusted. All others should be forbidden from using foreigner-type words. Or final possibility: just let it be. 95%of you seem happy to translate your own words. Go for it. For the 5% who donít, you can ignore them and stop bullying them into your way.

Old 09-06-2019, 07:27 AM

11,420 posts, read 11,149,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Well Pruz says I donít know what the words I use mean, so I guess heís right. So how can we trust anybodyís translations?

I think in our case, the only proper solution is to punish everybody who attempts to use a foreign word. Or...people can google any word they want and be more sure of itís correct translation than trusting my seemingly wrong translations. Or maybe we should only let Rosends and Pruz translate? Perhaps theirs can be trusted. All others should be forbidden from using foreigner-type words. Or final possibility: just let it be. 95%of you seem happy to translate your own words. Go for it. For the 5% who donít, you can ignore them and stop bullying them into your way.
Nobody is bullying anybody. We're trying to work to comply with the company owner's rules in ways that meet most people's needs.

You can participate, or not.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Nobody is bullying anybody. We're trying to work to comply with the company owner's rules in ways that meet most people's needs.

You can participate, or not.
Woodrow, Yac and I had this conversation long ago. I don't understand why it needs to come up again and again in relation to the same person.

Old 09-06-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Woodrow, Yac and I had this conversation long ago. I don't understand why it needs to come up again and again in relation to the same person.
Me either. We had peace. What changed?

Old 09-06-2019, 10:47 AM

109 posts, read 18,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Though I can't be sure, I sense that you mean "frum" which is tied to religious Orthodox practice, and then, inferentially to piety.
Yes, I meant ď Frum ď. I need to start proofreading ,before I hit the reply button. I didnít know if the word ď piousĒ meant any religious Jew , who attends synagogue, studies Torah, gives to charity, sends their children to Jewish day schools, but whoís not 100% on keeping Kosher, all the commandments that apply to him, strictly observes Shabbos, etc, or if the word ( pious)only applies to one that does.
Like, if the words ď pious ď and ď frumĒ are interchangeable, or if there was a slight difference between the two words, as far as describing someone.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
Yes, I meant ď Frum ď. I need to start proofreading ,before I hit the reply button. I didnít know if the word ď piousĒ meant any religious Jew , who attends synagogue, studies Torah, gives to charity, sends their children to Jewish day schools, but whoís not 100% on keeping Kosher, all the commandments that apply to him, strictly observes Shabbos, etc, or if the word ( pious)only applies to one that does.
Like, if the words ď pious ď and ď frumĒ are interchangeable, or if there was a slight difference between the two words, as far as describing someone.
In my pov, the terms are similar but different. Pious is a generalized word that can be taken many ways. One can be pious and still eat treif (unkosher) food.

Frum simply means one who is observant of all 613 mitzvos without any exception. Itís generally only used with Torah Observant (some call Orthodox) Jews.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:57 AM

109 posts, read 18,175 times
What about the commandments that only apply to men who live in Israel or the temple , before being destroyed?

Old 09-06-2019, 12:27 PM

885 posts, read 108,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
What about the commandments that only apply to men who live in Israel or the temple , before being destroyed?

Women are exempt from some commandments that are called "positive time-bound" commandments. It's because women have duties to their families which take precedence over the fulfillment of such mitzvot. These women are still considered to be frum, even though they do not adhere to all 613 mitzvot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or