U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 01:33 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,386,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Who says? There are Jews who have no problem with videos of women dancing or singing. This isn't a forum strictly for Orthodox Jews.

If it offends you, then don't look at it.
There are no Jewish sources that say itís appropriate for women to dance and sing in public. Not a single one.

To post that kind of anti-Torah behavior in a Jewish forum and defend it by saying some Jews who donít follow Torah donít find it offensive, thatís no defense. Those are forbidden images by all Jewish accounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 01:42 PM

882 posts, read 106,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
There are no Jewish sources that say itís appropriate for women to dance and sing in public. Not a single one.

To post that kind of anti-Torah behavior in a Jewish forum and defend it by saying some Jews who donít follow Torah donít find it offensive, thatís no defense. Those are forbidden images by all Jewish accounts.

Just cool your jets there, TFF. You don't dictate forum policy here. Neither do I. But I'm telling you now that this is a public forum for ALL Jews -- even those who are not as observant as might suit you. If you don't like it, then you should take yourself somewhere else.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Here's another memorable singing scene from The Prince of Egypt. Miriam's song "When You Believe":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTTxywB7b_U

Old 09-01-2019, 02:42 PM

4,030 posts, read 3,386,182 times
Why must we cater to the lowest common denominator? When you post forbidden images, you dictate that the Torah Jews in this forum cannot participate. If we stick to appropriate Torah standards in this forum, then all can participate. Isnít it better not to exclude the Jews who follow Hashemís Torah and mitzvos?

Old 09-01-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Why must we cater to the lowest common denominator? When you post forbidden images, you dictate that the Torah Jews in this forum cannot participate. If we stick to appropriate Torah standards in this forum, then all can participate. Isn’t it better not to exclude the Jews who follow Hashem’s Torah and mitzvos?
I respectfully suggest that you refrain from calling any of our fellow Jews "the lowest common denominator." That is a shanda.

It's not that you're so concerned about observant Jews not being able to participate (and I don't see anything stopping them). It's that you are angry because you cannot control the behavior of everyone else here.

Sorry that a posting on this forum has once again triggered you. I'm also sorry now that I once praised you on this forum. It only served to encourage you to go back to being dictatorial on this forum.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 09-01-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 09-01-2019, 03:29 PM

11,419 posts, read 11,144,112 times
Quote:
There are no Jewish sources that say it’s appropriate for women to dance and sing in public. Not a single one.

To post that kind of anti-Torah behavior in a Jewish forum and defend it by saying some Jews who don’t follow Torah don’t find it offensive, that’s no defense. Those are forbidden images by all Jewish accounts.
Quote:
Just cool your jets there, TFF. You don't dictate forum policy here. Neither do I. But I'm telling you now that this is a public forum for ALL Jews -- even those who are not as observant as might suit you. If you don't like it, then you should take yourself somewhere else.
Since your moderators do not know much about Judaism, this forum will operator according to the rules for City-Data, the R&S forums, and the rules for the Judaism forum that Woodrow wrote many years ago. This isn't just a forum for all Jews, it is also a forum where non-Jewish people can come to learn.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Why must we cater to the lowest common denominator? When you post forbidden images, you dictate that the Torah Jews in this forum cannot participate. If we stick to appropriate Torah standards in this forum, then all can participate. Isnít it better not to exclude the Jews who follow Hashemís Torah and mitzvos?
We're going to assume that everybody viewing the forum knows that they are under now compulsion to view any videos. You are free to adhere to whatever standards you want for yourself, but so is everybody else. We welcome everybody to participate in these forums.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Since your moderators do not know much about Judaism, this forum will operator according to the rules for City-Data, the R&S forums, and the rules for the Judaism forum that Woodrow wrote many years ago. This isn't just a forum for all Jews, it is also a forum where non-Jewish people can come to learn.

Sorry, mensaguy. I should have included non-Jewish members in what I wrote, as well. Apologies to our non-Jewish friends and visitors here.

Old 09-01-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAoM...&feature=share
I know this is only a movie, but as Rachel said, I did have a hard time finding one with women dancing alone. I hope that this comes in; itís a little grainy.
The womens dancing part comes in around 3:45. I love the little boy standing on the chair clapping , before Reuben looks behind the sheet dividing the 2 sections.
Quote:
Not very appropriate to post a video of women dancing or singing in a Jewish forum.
Anybody can post what the want in this forum, so long as it conforms to the Terms Of Service and the forum rules, and is relevant to the Judaism forum and the thread in which it appears.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:02 PM

13,318 posts, read 13,819,797 times
Quote:
it's not about what a person can and can not do on a public forum.
the point is that you are showing a deliberate contempt and low regard for halacha, for Jewish law.

that is showing disrepect for Judaism.

you are saying Jewish law does not matter.
that is not behavior that reflects well on any Jew.

how much more so in a Jewish forum that has a focus on Judaism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or