U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 08:50 AM

1,337 posts, read 188,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The concern is about when one person's joy is expressed through a form, that to others is contrary to how they embrace their Judaism.

And extreme example (not at all what you were doing, but we test things out by pushing to extreme). What if someone wanted to celebrate God's perfection in creating man's form by posting pictures of naked people. This would be defensible within that person's understanding of how we admire what God created.

But not defensible according to forum rules.

Quote:
What if another wanted to celebrate the ritual of putting on Tefillin by posting pictures of Madonna wearing tefillin? A third person who does not see current value or religious significance in the laws of Kashrut starts posting Rosh Hashana recipes which break very basic laws of kashrut. Would it make sense for someone to whom thise ideas are seriously problematic to say "Hey, I don't come here to see stuff that destroys my inner light of Judaism"? Or should that person say "these are all valid expressions of Judaism and I should just roll with it"?
When I disagree with someone's postings on this (or any other public forum) I try to express myself within the framework of the forum's TOS. Sometimes I see more wrong when a newcomer to this forum (like Pumpkin Mouse) has been embarrassed and told off by another member, than any wrong that I might see in what led that other member to embarrass and tell off the newcomer. Rabbi, this wasn't just about posting videos.

Oh, and Twisted Sister is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 08:51 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,482,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Rabbi, you can do no wrong, in my book.

Agree 110%.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:00 AM

28,682 posts, read 15,732,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1+1=5 View Post
Agree 110%.
I’m thankful to have a certified Rabbi here, I learn so much...And I’m sure it’s a Mitzvah on his part, after all, he could be spending his time elsewhere instead he allocates time here for us...

Old 09-02-2019, 09:07 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,482,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I’m thankful to have a certified Rabbi here, I learn so much...And I’m sure it’s a Mitzvah on his part, after all, he could be spending his time elsewhere instead he allocates time here for us...

Me too. I like his posts and dedication, as well as his humor and modesty.

Twisted Sister!

Old 09-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post

Exactly. I'm grateful to Rabbi Rosen for being here. He's my "go to" person when I have a question regarding halacha or really any aspect of Jewish practice and experience.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:10 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,476,015 times
We definitely have had a special forum here, accessible to all Jews of all backgrounds. But if the preference is to make this a secular forum about Jewish “culture” that is 100% good in the eyes of secular coastal Jews but inaccessible to Torah Observant Jews, then We just need to accept that this forum is on a very low madrega (door jam), and please permit me to cry out at how far the Jewish people have fallen. When will this horrible and seemingly never ending golus (wood table) come to an end?

Old 09-02-2019, 12:32 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,476,015 times
To be crystal clear, I believe Jews who recognize the Torah and its values as a superior outlook, even if they recognize they are not yet on a level to guard those mitzvos, are 100% kosher.

Jews who have rejected the Torah in order to replace it with gifilta fish and Jewishly named pets, and then claim 100% moral equivalency - well that’s what I’m referring to in my last post.

To be proud of shtuss (nothingness) while at the same time lowering the esteem of Torah observance is a recipe for anti-Semitic grandchildren.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
We definitely have had a special forum here, accessible to all Jews of all backgrounds. But if the preference is to make this a secular forum about Jewish “culture” that is 100% good in the eyes of secular coastal Jews but inaccessible to Torah Observant Jews, then We just need to accept that this forum is on a very low madrega (door jam), and please permit me to cry out at how far the Jewish people have fallen. When will this horrible and seemingly never ending golus (wood table) come to an end?

Nobody is trying to make this a secular forum. It's not an either/or choice.

Just calm down your tuchis (backside) and give it a rest, already.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:01 PM

171 posts, read 31,647 times
This is good, in a way, to me, that is.
It’s helping me to learn more about what’s halachah. I’ve learned more in my few days here, than reading and watching videos on Judaism. I like learning . Sometimes I misunderstand or misinterpret what I read, and if no one corrects me, I’ll keep doing it, until I embarrass someone in public, in person one day.
As my grandma used to tell me “ To nip it in the bud”, something like that.
I’m more worried about embarrassing someone else or putting them on the spot, when I don’t know I’m doing it.
I take it as a mitzvah , letting me know this, so I can be more mindful what I say and where.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
This is good, in a way, to me, that is.
It’s helping me to learn more about what’s halachah. I’ve learned more in my few days here, than reading and watching videos on Judaism. I like learning . Sometimes I misunderstand or misinterpret what I read, and if no one corrects me, I’ll keep doing it, until I embarrass someone in public, in person one day.
As my grandma used to tell me “ To nip it in the bud”, something like that.
I’m more worried about embarrassing someone else or putting them on the spot, when I don’t know I’m doing it.
I take it as a mitzvah , letting me know this, so I can be more mindful what I say and where.

Well said, Pumpkin. I hope that you have a rabbi that you can go to with your questions. Also I want to draw your attention to this forum disclaimer that's been posted in the forum rules:

Quote:
The posts on the Judaism forum are written by a very varied group of Jews with different views and customs.

This site makes no guarantee of validity and does not offer professional (particularly rabbinic) advice. Treat information from this site like it came from a crowd of your friends.

Keep on learning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or