U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 12:49 PM

11,418 posts, read 11,144,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Well, that doesn't always happen a whole lot here, as I'm sure you're aware. But thanks for quoting the forum rules to me, as well.
There are a lot of words commonly used in this sub-forum that I do not know. If you would like to compile a list of words that you've seen used in the forum, along with the meanings, I'd be glad to add something to the Sticky thread that Woodrow started.

If a word is defined in the Sticky thread, I don't intend to insist that an English translation be provided every time a word is used.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:57 PM

882 posts, read 106,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
There are a lot of words commonly used in this sub-forum that I do not know. If you would like to compile a list of words that you've seen used in the forum, along with the meanings, I'd be glad to add something to the Sticky thread that Woodrow started.

If a word is defined in the Sticky thread, I don't intend to insist that an English translation be provided every time a word is used.

Hey, that sounds like a great forum project for everyone to participate in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 01:00 PM

108 posts, read 17,428 times
Thanks, I love your style , Rachel and Chana( I think she’s 1+1+1)
I like both your names too. When I convert, Rachel is one of the Hebrew names I love. Jacob loved her so much, he worked another 7 years for her, so he saw something in her. I liked how she gave her sister Leah, the secret word, as not to humiliate her. She was Joseph’s mother, another one of my favourites.
Was the 7 year labour the usual, or was it because of that law about having to cut your slave loose after 7 years? I don’t think Jacob was considered a slave though, so it’s probably a coincidence.
I also love the story of her being buried on the side of the road, waiting for her children to come home. ( I hope that wasn’t considered political)
Then there’s Rabbi Akiva’s wife Rachel. She gave up a luxurious lifestyle to marry him into poverty.
She encouraged him to study Torah, as one of her conditions.
I heard that his family were converts from one source, but don’t know how back it was, if that was the case at all.
I liked how he didn’t start until 40, some say later.
She worked , while he studied 12 , then went back for another 12 years.
I liked when he bought his students home and he made them respect her.
I loved how Rachel’s father came to him to ask him to annul his vow of disowning his daughter.
When he finds out who Akiva was,he awards him with the money he was probably due .
He didn’t recognized him, Like Joseph ‘s Brothers didn’t recognize him.
I just didn’t like the way he died.He didn’t deserve that. I actually cried when I read thatfor the first time , a couple of years ago.
( I have tear plugs in my dry eyes, so instead of just getting misty, water pours out instead,embarrassing)

Old 09-02-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
Thanks, I love your style , Rachel and Chana( I think sheís 1+1+1)
I like both your names too. When I convert, Rachel is one of the Hebrew names I love. Jacob loved her so much, he worked another 7 years for her, so he saw something in her. I liked how she gave her sister Leah, the secret word, as not to humiliate her. She was Josephís mother, another one of my favourites.
Was the 7 year labour the usual, or was it because of that law about having to cut your slave loose after 7 years? I donít think Jacob was considered a slave though, so itís probably a coincidence.
I also love the story of her being buried on the side of the road, waiting for her children to come home. ( I hope that wasnít considered political)
Then thereís Rabbi Akivaís wife Rachel. She gave up a luxurious lifestyle to marry him into poverty.
She encouraged him to study Torah, as one of her conditions.
I heard that his family were converts from one source, but donít know how back it was, if that was the case at all.
I liked how he didnít start until 40, some say later.
She worked , while he studied 12 , then went back for another 12 years.
I liked when he bought his students home and he made them respect her.
I loved how Rachelís father came to him to ask him to annul his vow of disowning his daughter.
When he finds out who Akiva was,he awards him with the money he was probably due .
He didnít recognized him, Like Joseph Ďs Brothers didnít recognize him.
I just didnít like the way he died.He didnít deserve that. I actually cried when I read thatfor the first time , a couple of years ago.
( I have tear plugs in my dry eyes, so instead of just getting misty, water pours out instead,embarrassing)

Yes, Chana is 1+1=5.

Rachel is a nice name, but the Hebrew pronunciation of it may not sound so lovely to non-Hebrew ears. It kind of sounds like Rokhel (with the "kh" being a guttural sound like the "ch" in the Scottish word "loch."

I was named after my grandmother, may her memory be a blessing. I never knew her, as she died when my mother was still a child.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:03 PM

108 posts, read 17,428 times
I have no trouble with the Germanic languages. It’s the Romance ones that gave me a hard time. Spanish,Italian, French, Portuguese, they all speak so fast. They contract a lot of their words too.
I can do the “ ch” sound in the back of my throat. I used to be able to trill my Rs on the tip of my tongue when I was a kid , like in playing cars. Not now.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:36 PM

28,242 posts, read 15,299,431 times
Quote:
Well said, Pumpkin. I hope that you have a rabbi that you can go to with your questions. Also I want to draw your attention to this forum disclaimer that's been posted in the forum rules:

[/b]

Keep on learning!
I wouldnít think that we could apply that disclaimer to Rabbi Rosends....

Old 09-02-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I wouldnít think that we could apply that disclaimer to Rabbi Rosends....

No, Rosends is a genuine rabbi. But I think he refrains from giving psakim on this forum.

Old 09-02-2019, 05:56 PM

1,530 posts, read 520,562 times
Quote:
No, Rosends is a genuine rabbi. But I think he refrains from giving psakim on this forum.
and off this forum as well.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:15 PM

28,242 posts, read 15,299,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
and off this forum as well.
Why is that, Rabbi?...

Old 09-02-2019, 06:34 PM

1,530 posts, read 520,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Why is that, Rabbi?...
I'm neither equipped nor interested in ruling anything. I can do research, ask questions and direct people towards more prepared experts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or