Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 09:57 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
terms of service are that this is an English language forum, and when non-English words are used, a glossary or definition is provided
You might pass that tip on to TFF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 04:27 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,361,712 times
Very few Aramaic and Yiddish (Yeshivish) words I use have direct English translations. Nearly all are understandable in the context in which they are written. I have lots of faith in how smart you all are. Feels rather discriminating to constantly attack my normal mode of speech. Jewish words in a Jewish forum. So bad?

Old 09-05-2019, 04:36 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Very few Aramaic and Yiddish (Yeshivish) words I use have direct English translations. Nearly all are understandable in the context in which they are written. I have lots of faith in how smart you all are. Feels rather discriminating to constantly attack my normal mode of speech. Jewish words in a Jewish forum. So bad?

Why are you complaining again? Take it up with the Mods. It was their decision that English be the language used here, unless we provide definitions in one way or another.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:55 PM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Why are you complaining again? Take it up with the Mods. It was their decision that English be the language used here, unless we provide definitions in one way or another.
No, it's not the mods decision. The forum operates using English because the owner of the company started it that way. We have always had the same issue with Arabic in the Islam forum. Years ago, Woodrow and I discussed it and agreed that we would buck the system and allow people to use words common to their religion, with the caveat that they provide an English translation so as to comply with the owner's criteria for posting here.

My personal view is that words listed in the "glossary" that is developing here need not carry an inline translation. Anyone unsure about a word can check the Sticky post at the top of the forum. If a word isn't there, it should be accompanied by a translation. People use approximations, context, and multiple words to make clear the meaning of a word without a direct equivalent in English. This is normal anytime two languages are involved.

Incidentally, this isn't a Jewish forum. It is a forum about Judaism. The difference is significant.

Old 09-05-2019, 05:03 PM

Kind of ironic that we can’t use Jewish words, without jumping thru hoops, in “a forum about Judaism.” Simply using the words in context is enough for people to glean the meaning. Best way to learn. All these translations, once again, is catering to the lowest common denominator. Why assume so many here are so incapable? For ten years they’ve all done fine without translations.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:30 PM

Richard, do you ever listen to New York Jewish radio? I was listening to a shiur tonight, and the speaker gave over the shiur (lamp) in full on Yeshivish (car engine). It was gorgeous to listen to. You’ll no longer have the opportunity to hear and learn it in this forum, though, from now on. But that’s a good thing. Some people decided.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:13 PM

243 posts, read 102,154 times
Some Hebrew words don’t have translations or weren’t meant to, especially words meant to be sacred. They aren’t meant to be used in day to day speech.
Some other “ foreign “ words ,that we’ve been using for decades, we already know what they mean and don’t even try to translate it into English, like : kaput. The military uses that one all the time.
While we’re speaking of “ words” , Is there a difference between “ “ Pious” or “ drum”?

Old 09-06-2019, 02:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Richard, do you ever listen to New York Jewish radio? I was listening to a shiur tonight, and the speaker gave over the shiur (lamp) in full on Yeshivish (car engine). It was gorgeous to listen to. You’ll no longer have the opportunity to hear and learn it in this forum, though, from now on. But that’s a good thing. Some people decided.
I think everything will be just fine...

Old 09-06-2019, 04:41 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,262,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin mouse View Post
Some Hebrew words don’t have translations or weren’t meant to, especially words meant to be sacred. They aren’t meant to be used in day to day speech.
Some other “ foreign “ words ,that we’ve been using for decades, we already know what they mean and don’t even try to translate it into English, like : kaput. The military uses that one all the time.
While we’re speaking of “ words” , Is there a difference between “ “ Pious” or “ drum”?
Though I can't be sure, I sense that you mean "frum" which is tied to religious Orthodox practice, and then, inferentially to piety.

Old 09-06-2019, 06:53 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
No, it's not the mods decision. The forum operates using English because the owner of the company started it that way. We have always had the same issue with Arabic in the Islam forum. Years ago, Woodrow and I discussed it and agreed that we would buck the system and allow people to use words common to their religion, with the caveat that they provide an English translation so as to comply with the owner's criteria for posting here.

My personal view is that words listed in the "glossary" that is developing here need not carry an inline translation. Anyone unsure about a word can check the Sticky post at the top of the forum. If a word isn't there, it should be accompanied by a translation. People use approximations, context, and multiple words to make clear the meaning of a word without a direct equivalent in English. This is normal anytime two languages are involved.

Incidentally, this isn't a Jewish forum. It is a forum about Judaism. The difference is significant.
Correct. All of us had this conversation where if non-English words are used one must include direct or indirect translations in parenthesis next to the word or at the end of the post. There was and still is one person who continued to type w/o doing so. At the time there were two of us who did his translations as he used the words in the context that they were meant for but has no clue what they translate to.

We tried this "glossary" thread twice and it failed both times as it always came down to the same person who decidedly wasn't going to go with the flow. Our largest issues/time to figure out what was typed was when Yeshivish Hebrew was typed, and we had to backtrack to American Hebrew and then again to Israeli Hebrew. 95%+ of the time English could have been used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism