U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM

863 posts, read 104,419 times

Advertisements

Here's a way for forum members to participate, even if you don't know the meanings of any of the Hebrew or Yiddish words found on this forum.

Especially if you don't know the meanings.

Simply post Hebrew or Yiddish words that you've come across on this forum, that you don't understand.

Then, perhaps those forum members who know the meanings of these words can respond?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM

21,432 posts, read 24,377,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Here's a way for forum members to participate, even if you don't know the meanings of any of the Hebrew or Yiddish words found on this forum.

Especially if you don't know the meanings.

Simply post Hebrew or Yiddish words that you've come across on this forum, that you don't understand.

Then, perhaps those forum members who know the meanings of these words can respond?

FYI: Nearly all the translators have left CD. Outside of myself and maybe one other there aren't many left. When this was done in the past, we advised people to google the words first. We also advised people to convert to the Sephardic (Israeli) spelling in order to find the correct translations as Yeshivisized words are really a pain to translate.

Just look for the word "wult" in this video, it sort of hit's the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iGgXx5GOgg

And here's another video to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=isJYtcJSczU

Old Today, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
FYI: Nearly all the translators have left CD. Outside of myself and maybe one other there aren't many left. When this was done in the past, we advised people to google the words first. We also advised people to convert to the Sephardic (Israeli) spelling in order to find the correct translations as Yeshivisized words are really a pain to translate.
So sorry to hear of those who are now gone from this forum.

As to the videos you posted... The editing in the first video was a bit choppy for me. I get that it's a parody.

The second video was brilliant. I didn't know until the end of the video (spoiler alert?) that the speaker is the owner of the Jewish English Lexicon -- a great "go to" website on Jewish words.

When she was speaking about Jewish languages being historically written using Hebrew letters, though, she didn't mention how Yiddish words written in Hebrew letters differ from Hebrew words, in that Yiddish creates "vowels" out of existing Hebrew letters, whereas modern Hebrew uses nikkud to represent the individual vowel sounds. Maybe she thought it wasn't pertinent to her talk, but I thought it was worth a mention.

I liked the way the speaker summed it up with: "language connects us to other Jews." I think a good reason to continue Woodrow's Jewish lexicon here on this forum is so that language doesn't disconnect us from other Jews (or from non-Jewish friends of Jews visiting this forum).

Old Today, 06:35 AM

21,432 posts, read 24,377,676 times
Another attempt:

Yiddish Words/Phrases

Old Today, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Another attempt:

Yiddish Words/Phrases

I really enjoyed reading that entire thread from years ago! I saw that you and Richard contributed to that thread, and I wish those others were still around, as well. Anyway, those words that were mentioned in that thread can be added to the sticky, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or