Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 04:48 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,864,631 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had something especially wonderful in your life come to you unexpectedly, that you are convinced was a special gift from HaShem/G-d?

Do you believe that HaShem chooses to give us extraordinary gifts from time to time? If you do believe this, then do you have a personal experience regarding this? If you don't believe this, I'd like to hear about that, too.

I'm asking this, because I think that I've recently had such an experience, and I'm curious as to what others think on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,546,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Have you ever had something especially wonderful in your life come to you unexpectedly, that you are convinced was a special gift from HaShem/G-d?

Do you believe that HaShem chooses to give us extraordinary gifts from time to time? If you do believe this, then do you have a personal experience regarding this? If you don't believe this, I'd like to hear about that, too.

I'm asking this, because I think that I've recently had such an experience, and I'm curious as to what others think on the subject.

I think having a sense of gratitude to hashem when something like that happens is good for me(spiritually and psychologically), without worrying too much about the theology.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I think having a sense of gratitude to hashem when something like that happens is good for me(spiritually and psychologically), without worrying too much about the theology.

Thanks for answering, BBDad. Yes, a sense of gratitude is definitely a good reaction.

When something really out of the ordinary (and good) happens for me – the sort of thing that makes me say: "Wow, I wasn't expecting that!"... I tend to get a sense of wonder, as well. I admit that I didn't always feel that way. I think that maybe in the past I wasn't paying attention.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:09 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,491,568 times
Yes, I believe it happens, although it's rare and one has to be aware of it when it does. The key is the unusual nature of it, or the seeming "coincidence" of it in terms of timing.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yes, I believe it happens, although it's rare and one has to be aware of it when it does. The key is the unusual nature of it, or the seeming "coincidence" of it in terms of timing.
Yes, exactly! It's rare and seemingly coincidental (hence the unexpectedness) in terms of timing. I think it also makes you appreciate life in an unexpected way. Here's my own experience: I recently and unexpectedly became the adoptive "mother" of three baby lovebird chicks (I've mention them before in the "Jewishly-named pets" topic).

More and more I'm coming to see this event as having been an unexpected gift from HaShem – as well as HaShem's lesson for me in patience and caring. I've always loved animals, but hand-raising these little birds, feeding them every four hours around the clock from an eyedropper and watching them grow... It's given me a deeper appreciation of the wonders of HaShem.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 PM

151 posts, read 87,999 times
I went through a situation (which I'd rather not get into online) that was very, very traumatic for me. However, it is in part what brought me to Judaism. I don't think Gd caused or created the situation, but I do think Judaism was my gift for surviving it.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:39 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,995,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
I went through a situation (which I'd rather not get into online) that was very, very traumatic for me. However, it is in part what brought me to Judaism. I don't think Gd caused or created the situation, but I do think Judaism was my gift for surviving it.
What do you have to hide?...

Old 06-18-2019, 02:43 PM

151 posts, read 87,999 times
Hide? Because I don't wish to share certain information in a public forum?

Old 06-18-2019, 02:46 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,995,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
Hide? Because I don't wish to share certain information in a public forum?
When one is an open book, then no one can manipulate you or use it against you...

Old 06-18-2019, 02:57 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,709,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
When one is an open book, then no one can manipulate you or use it against you...
No one is a open book either to the outer world or themselves. With hashem one tends to head to a psalm for thought.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-18-2019 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism