Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 07:40 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times

Advertisements

No words, especially given recent events. We must be vigilant.

https://www.ushmm.org/remember/inter...emembrance-day

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ga...ay-in-pictures

https://www.un.org/en/node/104969
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 10:38 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Here is a list of songs and prayers that we can say today: https://reformjudaism.org/songs-and-...emembrance-day

When I was in high school, I studied German and in 2007 I went to Germany with the German Club. We went to Dachau and every year I always write about not only what I learned from that trip, but literature and music from the time period. Never forget and never again!

I took some photos and made memorial scrapbook pages. I would like to visit Germany again and I would like to visit Poland. We should never forget and we should share these stories so they will never happen again.

A few years ago, there were local job ads looking for writers who could converse in either German, Yiddish, or Hebrew, and interview survivors, then turn their stories into books. I was so nervous that I didn't apply. I'm thinking once COVID-19 is over, I might see what I can do on a part-time basis. Their stories need to be preserved and remembered!
Attached Thumbnails
Yom HaShoah (International Holocaust Remembrance Day)-205060_1003954866904_5104_n.jpg   Yom HaShoah (International Holocaust Remembrance Day)-208388_1003956026933_7013_n.jpg  

Old 01-27-2021, 07:17 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Default Joe Lieberman, Natan Sharansky: The Holocaust story does not end at Auschwitz

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/joe-...tory-auschwitz

Quote:
International Holocaust Day is observed on January 27, the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, which has become the symbol of the evils of the Holocaust. It was a place of unbridled inhumanity and brutality. Yet, Auschwitz does not tell the entire story of the Holocaust.

Not all the victims of the Holocaust were herded into cattle trucks, to gas chambers at concentration camps like Auschwitz. There are many other stories to be told and we are duty-bound to tell them.

None more so than the estimated 1.5 million Jews who were murdered in mass shootings across Eastern Europe. For too long, this ‘Holocaust by bullets’ has been largely unknown.

Before the construction of Auschwitz and other concentration camps, as the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union, entire Jewish communities were rounded up, marched to their deaths and dumped in mass graves. The locations where these crimes were perpetrated usually remain unmarked, unlike the remains of the Nazi concentration camps.

Never forget!

Old 01-28-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
That's right and many also died in the ghettos. I don't know if anyone has ever watched Finding Your Roots, but Nina Totenberg was on Tuesday night. One of her relatives died in a Warsaw ghetto.

Many also died in the Anschluss and the Kristallnacht. Never forget and never again!

Old 01-28-2021, 09:43 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Here is a list of songs and prayers that we can say today: https://reformjudaism.org/songs-and-...emembrance-day

When I was in high school, I studied German and in 2007 I went to Germany with the German Club. We went to Dachau and every year I always write about not only what I learned from that trip, but literature and music from the time period. Never forget and never again!

I took some photos and made memorial scrapbook pages. I would like to visit Germany again and I would like to visit Poland. We should never forget and we should share these stories so they will never happen again.

A few years ago, there were local job ads looking for writers who could converse in either German, Yiddish, or Hebrew, and interview survivors, then turn their stories into books. I was so nervous that I didn't apply. I'm thinking once COVID-19 is over, I might see what I can do on a part-time basis. Their stories need to be preserved and remembered!
If you are still nervous, there is a crowd sourcing initiative where you can help copy records from scanned images of documents from the concentration camps into a database.

You can find details here:

https://arolsen-archives.org/en/lear...erynamecounts/

Old 01-28-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
If you are still nervous, there is a crowd sourcing initiative where you can help copy records from scanned images of documents from the concentration camps into a database.

You can find details here:

https://arolsen-archives.org/en/lear...erynamecounts/
I'll give this a try! Thank you.

Old 01-28-2021, 07:40 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Painter and artist Leo Neufeld who is Jewish describes a set of portraits he painted, "I traveled to my hometown of Milwaukee, WI, to paint portraits of Holocaust survivors. This is my heritage and these are the people I grew up with. Both of my parents were each in 6 concentration camps and survived the Holocaust. The people I painted are the “Greenah”, a term which refers to the newcomers to the United States. I was sponsored by the Coalition for Jewish Learning, which is the umbrella organization for the Holocaust Education and Resource Center of Milwaukee. I spent four weeks during the Fall of 2004 in the community, and painted 11 oil portraits from life. These portraits became the property of the HERC. This project is a continuation of the portraits I painted of my parents, who are both gone, and I feel an urgency to document the remaining survivors, as each year there are fewer."

here is link to the paintings, and a group photograph of the people holding their portraits, and also the artist in front

https://leoneufeld.com/holocaust-memorial/

Old 01-28-2021, 07:45 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Painter and artist Leo Neufeld who is Jewish describes a set of portraits he painted, "I traveled to my hometown of Milwaukee, WI, to paint portraits of Holocaust survivors. This is my heritage and these are the people I grew up with. Both of my parents were each in 6 concentration camps and survived the Holocaust. The people I painted are the “Greenah”, a term which refers to the newcomers to the United States. I was sponsored by the Coalition for Jewish Learning, which is the umbrella organization for the Holocaust Education and Resource Center of Milwaukee. I spent four weeks during the Fall of 2004 in the community, and painted 11 oil portraits from life. These portraits became the property of the HERC. This project is a continuation of the portraits I painted of my parents, who are both gone, and I feel an urgency to document the remaining survivors, as each year there are fewer."

here is link to the paintings, and a group photograph of the people holding their portraits, and also the artist in front

https://leoneufeld.com/holocaust-memorial/
Beautiful.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Its a shame we have not learned our lesson from this horrible time in history!!! We are slowly setting ourselves up for something very similar imo.

Old 04-08-2021, 02:26 PM

2,858 posts, read 1,802,529 times
8 April, 2021 on my calendar is Holocaust Remembrance Day.

2018, February was at Yad Varied (the Museum) Surrounding the museum were the Trees of Righteousness. Trees of families who aided the Jewish people. Ezekiel 38:14 was engraved on a pillar? I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I am the L-D have spoken, and I have done it, declares the L-D.

My maternal grandmother was married to a Jewish gentleman, when bonds were being purchased for the country of Israel.

Lesson to remember, love ALL people. Deuteronomy 6:4-5; Leviticus 19:18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism